Dilemma - what do you do?

In my machine knitting days, I had a unique way of doing knitted bands and I had a lady who drove me mad asking for how I did them…So I gave her the instructions but left out one tiny piece of vital information…she kept saying that hers were not the same as mine and couldn’t understand it…I just kept saying…“I am not sure what you are doing wrong…keep trying!”…She never did find out…it was MY secret and I was not going to have her copy my work…lol…

17 Likes

I love it Brenda!! @teabreaks

xx

2 Likes

Love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s so tricky to find a polite way to deflect that question! If somebody asks, I do something similar to Brenda above - give a part of the information, but hold a little back, so they feel like I’ve helped while I know I’ve not given anything vital away.

I make collages with stamps, and pretty much anyone knows how or can find instructions how to collage. But which glues & seals etc I use I figured out through my own trial and error, and I don’t think anybody else needs to know my specific combination just ‘out of curiosity’, or because the paper glue they tried wasn’t good enough.

I started out collaging onto commercially available notebooks, but now I design & have my own notebooks printed. Then if somebody decides they want to copy my style & concept, they will never be able to create exactly the same product - unless they first buy the blank notebooks, directly from me (with my web address printed on the cover). :wink:

2 Likes

I always keep it light and reply with ‘trade secret, I’m afraid’ and a wink or smiley. Most times people are fine and just say they understand. If they’re trying it on to nick an idea, they know they’re likely to be knocked back. If they are genuinely just asking for their own use, with that reply they realise that these things are techniques that we have found out through, often, years of researching and trial and error. Either way, they get the message :wink:

4 Likes

Apart from the fact that people might copy, sell etc, an additional problem I see with giving away information is that you might be giving the impression that what you do isn’t serious. And then people will get used to it leaving you, the professional seller, trying to convince people/buyers otherwise and trying to build your brand, whether you do crafts professionally or for extra money. Because, as they say, ‘perception is reality to a customer.’

And once you tell one person, then others will be coming to you for more…

2 Likes

I tend not to tell people for one of the reasons as shared before. Some people can ask you for all the details and then secretly be making it for sale behind your back even after knowing you sell them yourself.
Even a family member who saw some of my things was like oooh I could make this too and put it online since we’re in different cities…it was like …um NO this is my stuff!
There are people that take polite interest then others that want to know every detail down to which needles and pins they should buy!

2 Likes

Ha! I saw some amazing art from vinyl records, I said ‘How did you…no, don’t tell me’ and the artist laughed and said she was trying not to give away secrets as she used to. I was just curious, but the artist wouldn’t know that.

Hi dottery pottery, I have recently set up a facebook group to link it to my shop on folksy and on the 1st day someone who makes cards joined. One of her groups is card making has it is a closed Group i can not see her cards she message me saying she tried to put one of my flower cards into the basket and it wouldn’t go in. has i was reading your post on here i saw you had a FB page and wounded if you could tell me how i can contact folksy to see why she couldn’t put the card into her basket. Have you experienced this on facebook. Thank You Kind Regards. Jacqui

Hi Jaqui - I have had quite a few problems with people trying to checkout through Folksy. Have you sent her a direct link to your item, just in case the link between FB and Folksy is playing up?
Alternatively, you can ask her to send you a link to the item she wants to buy and then send her a Paypal invoice directly.

Here’s a link to the page you need to contact Folksy about an issue: https://folksy.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/54063-how-can-i-contact-folksy-

1 Like

Exactly the same thing happened to me.

1 Like

Thank you For replying back to me Dottery Pottery. You have been really helpful.
Bless you many Thanks.

1 Like

What did you do Alison?

OMG its so unfair when you put all your time and effort into your craft for somebody to just come along and take it. I am new to facebook selling but its a bit off putting no matter how nice you are some ppl just dont have the same manner back.

Nothing. Didn’t know what to do. I’ve closed down my Facebook account now

1 Like

Yes! Not sure i am liking the facebook platforms only had the group a couple of days.