Dilemma - what do you do?

Quite often on my FB page, I get people asking me about certain aspects of my pottery eg: What glaze did you use for that? What clay is that? How did you join those items together?

I don’t mind telling people simple things like what glue I’ve used etc (Even though I have had to work it out myself by trial an error) but I don’t really like to say exactly what glaze combinations I’ve used as that is what makes my work mine.

I have in the past told people these things but then I feel a bit silly when I see them make something almost identical so I try not to do it these days.
Someone has just asked me today about something and I really don’t want to say but what do I do - just ignore the post or politely decline to say?

What do you do or don’t you mind sharing your trade secrets? I know some people do lots of online tutorials, so they obviously don’t mind sharing techniques and I guess this is how the craft continues to be passed down through the generations - if people didn’t teach and share, no-one would learn.

Do you think it;s cheeky to ask people about their techniques or is it a case of don’t ask, don’t get?

I do sometimes ask people about their techniques when it’s a craft that I don’t do as I am interested in the process but I wouldn’t ask another potter for a certain glaze recipe!

2 Likes

I don’t mind giving general advice, but if I’ve spent a long time working on something special, then I don’t give away my secrets :slight_smile:

I do get people ask for how I do things sometimes, and if it’s just basic stuff I will happily tell them. Otherwise I will try and politely reply saying something like ‘at present I’m unable to pass on this information, as it’s my own personal technique, but thank you for your interest.’

6 Likes

I’ve been asked on the dark side by a seller (another knitter) what make of wool do I use for my items and the colour names and numbers, I just ignored the email, until they also joined Folksy and started selling here and emailed me again through here.

I sent a nice email back, but did say that as another knitwear designer, I’m sure you will understand that I don’t want to give away my trade secrets as I put a lot of time, thought and effort into them. They replied and said they understand.

I spend AGES searching for the right yarns and testing them out first and think that if people are serious about selling, then they also need to do some groundwork themselves (no matter how flattering they are about your work!) especially if they are going to be selling the same things as you.

So, if you don’t feel comfortable telling them, just be honest and say something like that (and then just ignore any other emails from them if they ask again :wink: ).

xx

13 Likes

I always respond but don’t always give the information they are looking for. We are after all trying to run a business. Would Heinz give away their recipe for Tomato Soup?

12 Likes

I agree.

Don’t feel bad about it. It takes a long time and lots of frustration and errors to work out the best ways to create our lovingly handcrafted goodies. I do think it’s a bit cheeky to ask artists what their techniques are especially when trying to create things not too different from ours.

I’ve given advice a few times when I feel it’s genuine but sometimes it’s best just to be polite and skirt around the topic without giving up your bestest secrets.

X

5 Likes

I’d be likely to say something along the lines of
’thank you for your interest, what works for me doesn’t work for everyone, there are lots of you tube tutorials etc from people who want to share their knowledge that you can study and find what works best for you’

I’ve been asked in the past about how things were constructed etc and like you I don’t mind sharing general info but if it’s something I’ve spent a lot of time working on, studying tutorials and lots of trial and error I’d rather not share.
Also, if I knew the person and we’d built up a mutual interest I’d probably share and exchange information and tips but I wouldn’t for a stranger.

7 Likes

When I’m asked, I thank them for their interest in my work and recommend they read “x” and “y” books on the subject. If you’re offering classes or tutorials, send them a link to them, maybe recommend they book a place on one in particular. If you don’t do classes, suggest they look at their local adult education websites for suitable short courses. I think that by being “generous” with some information (that’s freely available) you can avoid feeling mean at not answering the specific request (if you don’t want to).

If they persist, I’d simply say that you spent a lot of time developing the technique/glazes to your own specifications, and that you’re not planning on making them commercially available at present. However, if they’d like to be kept informed as to if and when you ARE going to release them as a product available for purchase, you can add their name to your newsletter. You may have no intention of ever selling the glazes, but this’ll make it clear you’re not going to give your hard work away for free.

8 Likes

Due to the nature of pyrography circles, I get asked this all the time, often by people just starting out. Some are genuinely trying to learn, but some are just looking for a quick fix. So, I’ve collated all the information I’m happy to pass on, like places to get machines, the best types of wood, and ideal search terms for finding stock, and popped it on one of my web pages. Then I thank them for showing an interest and give them a link to the page.

8 Likes

Exactly. I have a “stock” email reply saved as a word doc that I just copy and paste into my reply. It looks personal but takes a few seconds.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s a tricky one, some general things, like eveyone else has said, I’m quite happy to give information on but you don’t want to give away all your secrets. Must admit sometimes I just act dumb. :smiley: (That’s not hard though.)

2 Likes

I used to share my ideas quite freely on a Facebook sewing group. About a year ago someone asked me for help making a dolly bag for a ‘friends wedding’. I happily told her how to make it, giving dimensions and instructions by private message. A few days later she posted a picture of what she had made and I was a bit taken aback. It was identical to the one I had on Folksy in every way. Same colour satin, same embroidery design and the same thread colour. Even the same beads I had used. I thought she may have made a different colour, it seemed a bit of a coincidence that her friend was having the same colour theme for her wedding. Out of curiosity I went to her Facebook page…there it was being offered on a ‘made to order’ basis for slightly less than I charge. I was so cross, and I told her so. I had no idea she was another seller, I thought I was just helping someone out. I am a lot more careful now about what I share…

4 Likes

I’m growling here on your behalf Kim.

7 Likes

I remember you saying Kim, that’s really horrible of her. I’m angry on your behalf x

3 Likes

What is even more annoying is when they not only make an exact copy of your designs, but set up doing tutorials to teach other people your hard-won knowledge!

3 Likes

It does amaze me how cheeky some people can be. There is so much information out there these days about the actual making techniques that I personally think anyone contacting a maker to find out how you do something is just hoping that you’ll give over some of your hard won secrets about your own personal style. I see so much copying in the field of ceramics particularly. It’s as if people think they can make a fast buck out of crafting! :joy:

Luckily in marbling, I can explain pretty much everything to someone if they want but there are so many variables that it will probably take them a good while just to get a few decent papers, not to mention that even if they used the exact same paint, paper, size and did the same pattern etc they still can’t repeat exactly what I’m doing!

Hold your ground and you can always just point out some suppliers ( whether you use them or not!) and there are loads of books and online vids about making they can look at instead!

6 Likes

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I don’t feel so bad wanting to keep some things to myself now!
At the moment, I have just ignored the question - it wasn’t a direct message, just a question in a thread from someone that was tagged into the thread and that I have never spoken to before.
I don’t feel too guilty now!

I really like your idea Sarah @SarahDesignsUK - for collating all the information that you don’t mind sharing into once place.

There is something that I really want to know how to do and there are no online tutorials for it that I can see anywhere but I wouldn’t dream of asking another potter outright. The worst thing is that I have already done this thing before (about 20 years ago) but didn’t keep a note of what I used and now for the life of me cannot replicate it or remember what I used - lol!

2 Likes

Omg Kim! Such nerve AND dishonesty! You must have been fuming.

1 Like

Gah Kim, that blatant deceit makes you wonder how people have the nerve.
(Saying that, from things that have happened to me too, I know that people do have the nerve - lol)

Did she admit it when you confronted her or did she try and make up more lies?

1 Like

She made out that I should have realised that she was going to sell them, To be honest, it never occurred to me that someone would ask me for the all the information to make the bag in order to sell them, She had said it was for a ‘friends wedding’ so I thought she was making it as a gift. There was uproar on the Facebook group with people demanding she was kicked out of the group. Admin stepped in and deleted all the posts, but I think they must have said something to her as she removed the bag from her page.

2 Likes

I’m glad that people stood up for you on the group. I bet she didn’t even feel ashamed of herself!

2 Likes