Do you have a physical shop?

Hey all,

I’m curious about the number of Folksy sellers who also have a physical presence.

The high street is re-inventing itself to be oriented around experiences rather than shopping, and many retailers are pivoting by turning their bricks-and-mortar shops into “showrooms” where customers can come to interact with their products and services before making their final purchase online.

We’re also seeing an emergence of popups and co-retailing, where sellers occupy a physical space on a short-term letting or share a space with other small businesses.

Has anybody thought about setting up a physical store to accompany their online offering, or perhaps sharing a physical shop with others? I think success would depend on where you’re located (I’m on the south-east of the UK, just outside of London).

I’d love to get your thoughts on this topic.

not having anything at the moment but the thought has crossed my mind. I am selling craft and jewellery making supplies online at the moment (and when very lucky also some of my own handmade bits and bobs) and was thinking about either having a little popup in our shopping centre or hire a stall at the market. Maybe just for a short period to get to know local craft folks. Another thought was to start some beading or jewellery making club… but all only in my head for now :slight_smile: I am also south-east London - Bromley.

That sounds really promising. What is it about having a physical store that appeals to you? Have you thought about whether you’d try to get a lease direct with a landlord, or make use of a platform like AppearHere?

I wonder how much such a popup would cost in a local shopping centre?

From my perspective it is about contact with local crafty people, learn what crafts they make, what techniques they prefer, places where they show their art, what supplies they need etc. Maybe creating a little craft community in the area. But of course I would not be able to hire anything expensive, I am a small business and running it while also being a mum, doing school runs etc. I have to check some options, prices, so far I have not investigated yet.

1 Like