Promoting Sales

Hi there, I’ve just opened my new Folksy shop last week.
So far I’ve also made a FaceBook page, I tweet all new listings, I’ve added the shop to StumbleUpon, added it to my Pinterest page and just now requested to join CraftJuice. I’ve also sent an add request to the Folksy FaceBook page (please let me in!)

What other sites are there to register or promote on?
Have other people had much success asking local shops/businesses to carry their stock?
Does anyone know of a list of Craft Fairs?
I don’t have a massive amount of stock yet, and I don’t work very quickly (mildly dyspraxic) but I’ve managed to double it in the last fortnight as well as make 2 commissions.

So far all my sales have been to family and friends (God love 'em) and mightily grateful I am too, but they can’t keep me afloat for ever

You could also try Google+ and Wanelo

As for local shops there are 2 ways of doing that sell your items straight to the shop then you have your money up front and don’t have to worry.

The other way can be a bit of a pain and that is Sell or Return.

Where they only pay you once the item is sold.

Things to remember if you go the Sell or Return route

Make sure you write up a agreement which you both sign and both keep a copy of.

Things that need to go into the contract

That the shop is responsible for any brakeage and theifs.
When you get paid and by what method.
What percentage of the sale goes to the shop? and/or the price per month for hire of Shelf space.
What the price is for the item so after the shop take their agreed percentage you are still in profit.
The period of time an unsold item will remain within the shop ie not sold after 3months it has to be returned in the same condition the shop received it in including any packaging it was presented in, The last thing you want is for an item to be simply shoved into a plastic bag and get dirty, or broken.

How your items will be displayed no point them being in a shop in a place they can’t be seen clearly.

That your labels will be display with the item so potential customer can see who made the item.

That the items remains your possession until it’s sold to the customer. This is to protect you should the shop fail and your items be seized to pay of the shops debits.

Don’t for get to have a list of items with a description so there can be no misunderstanding on which of your items the shop holds… This list should be duplicated and so you both have the list and both should be signed by both of you. Best to get it all agreed in case of possible problems later.

Don’t forget to check out the shop, ie how long has it been there, do the staff take care of the shop, merchandise and customers. What kind of footfall does the shop get in an average week. You’ll need to go in a few times different times of the day and on different days as a potential customer just to get a feel for the place. No point having stock in a place for say 3months and it just all sit there as the place has barely any footfall.

Also if you decide on the shop and you get your contract signed and hand over your items.

I think I’ve remembered everything but I’m sure if I’ve forgotten something someone else will advise you further.

I hope all that helps and all the best.

1 Like

Not to put a damper on your selling processes, but just to say a few years ago I was selling some items through a well-established shop in central London, and all was going well until, one day, monies due to me for my sold goods came in a cheque which duly bounced. I queried this with the shop, no apology and they issued another cheque.

A few months later I learnt by chance, the shop had gone bust, having traded for many years. No warning or statement, and no communication to me as a supplier.

I ended up losing an item that was selling through them, and I just became an unsecured creditor along with many others.

Didn’t lose much, but it made me worry that much more expensive items that I had sold previously through the shop, might have never been returned back to me after the shop went under.

So, Rule 1 : Be cautious about selling through shops, even established ones. They can go bust at any time, and you may even lose your stock.

Rule 2: Be aware that Banks and similar tend to be the “secured creditors” and will always get first call on any monies due. The residual amounts are there for the “unsecured creditors” to fight over, and often that money pot is tiny, if anything left at all.

Finally, if you order anything from a store or manufacturer, and pay for it up front, and particularly if it is bespoke ie custom made, then ensure they mark it clearly "Property of xyz , " ie your property.

Only that way, will you have any chance of getting your goods that you have already paid for if it goes bust. Of course if you pay by credit card, and over £100, you may also be covered, but some do pay by cheque or cash, and that is very risky.

Sorry, if this all sounds negative, and Eileen has also raised the issue in her note too.
Ron

No need to apologise for flagging up negative experiences! I’m sorry you went through that but I’m grateful you chose to share it as a warning. There aren’t too many outlets where I live anyway, but at least I’ll be a little better armed if I go down that route. x