Do you have your own website?

I would love to eventually have my own little website. My husband is an I.T geek as its his line of work so I would have the help required.

Karen :blush:

I have got a site that I did myself, but for my shop I use Tictail. It is extremely simple to set up with clean design and the basic package is free. They make their money on addons - such as if you want to do promotion codes or have your own website name - then you have to pay a subscribtion fee for those, but there is also free apps on there such as a review thingie that helps inspire confidence as your customers feedback.

So if you just want to try it out quickly Tictail is worth looking at. Wonā€™t cost you a penny.

1 Like

Hello @Nanfan

Your web page looks great. Your photos are excellent quality :blush:
Do Tictail take any commission when you make a sale? Does it use PayPal to collect payments?

Iā€™ve made a note of Tictail as I would love at least one more avenue to sell and promote my handmade goodies. At the moment I only sell here and I think its time to spread my wings a little bit :grin:

Karen :blossom:

Thank you :sunny:

They donā€™t take any commission and operate solely through Paypal.
PP of course takes their share.
It canā€™t hurt to have another site our there I think :smiley: and I use the photos I already take for Etsy and Folksy anyway.

1 Like

i have a Weebly website, I have the started one, really cheap. I do get views but not a sale yet, been up about 3 months, maybe i need more time??? I like the freedom of it, you can blog on there too.
Its www.chilloutchic.weebly.com I guess we can put our links on here??? the other one wonā€™t let you!

Hi Nanfan, do you have a checkout?

Iā€™m not sure I understand? On my site? Yeah it all goes through PP.

hello, I did have one with MR SITE but gave up , I just couldnā€™t get it to look right. I kept it for a few years and then decided to save up a bit and had a lovely lady make my new one. its easy to maintain and she is always there to help. I now just have to work out the promoting part and adwords! eeekkkk
http://www.down-with-the-kids.com/

Weebly for me too, its really easy to use plus an integrated blog as well and its free except for buying a domain name, there is also a shopping cart option which is fairly inexpensive if you need it. It all depends on how your going to drive traffic to your site, via social media, blogging or seo , how useful it would be. But it wouldnā€™t hurt and makes you look more professional even if it was just a simple site.

www.oconnart.com

Yes, I would want to be able to sell directly from the site, so would need an option for people to purchase.
Now if I could just give up work I could concentrate on what I really want to be doing!!!

2 Likes

Hi, great thread! I have a site with webs.com which I built myself, even being a bit of a technophobe. I would like to set up a new one though as it doesnā€™t seem to very good in relation to being viewed on a tablet. Iā€™m just worried about how to swap my domain name over. Thatā€™s all thatā€™s stopping me really! www.pennyjanedesigns.co.uk

I donā€™t have many sales from it but it can be useful when people pick up cards at craft fairs and want to know more about my work - or workshops. I also managed to put in a link to Folksy!

I have a free weebly website (bought the domain name) but the design is too simple for my liking - canā€™t decide what to change though. It was really easy to set up. I show pictures of my monster portraits (sold and for sale) and have links to my shop, my embroidery designs shop and my blog. I like having my own place on the internet - some people have found my shop through there.

www.madmonsters.co.uk

You website looks great. I like the way youā€™ve directed people to your folksy shop etc. I have a weebly site too but mainly to buy from there and not directed to folksy.
www.allseasonscrafts.com

Hi @DandelionsGallery, I need to register a domain name and not sure where to go, where did you register yours? thanks :slight_smile:

Yes I have a website and often find that if I am at a craft fair people will take a business card and then go to look at my website when they get home. I also think that it acts like a gallery of your work and looks professional. www.mycalicoheart.co.uk

I have my own website too www.arcjewellery.co.uk my hubby put it together for me. I used to have all my stock listed here but the admin and maintenance of that was just too time consuming so I now just display a few pieces and link my Folksy and Etsy shops to it instead. Most of the orders through that site are for commission/bespoke pieces anyway so itā€™s now just more of a gallery and info site.
I really need to update it, add some more events and stockistsā€¦itā€™s on my ā€˜to doā€™ list :smile:

I recently bought a new domain for my blog, it cost me around Ā£8 for 2 years from 123-reg, and then I linked it to my blog that I had already set up on googleā€™s blogger.

@HazelRayfield Hazel (and anyone else who is knowledgeable on the subject) what do you think of website submissions services? Do they help? Do you use any of them for your clients?

Are you referring to a site that offers to submit your link to lots of search engines and directories ?

If this is what you are referring to then no I never use then.

Iā€™ll DM you Stephie

Hazel

I have just launched my new website and it was built using Moonfruit, whom I cannot recommend highly enough. :smile: It was a joy to build and the only issues I had were when I transferred my domain name over, and nothing seemed to work. I had originally opted for the free version, but when I had a brainwave and opted for the Lite version (Ā£3 a month if you pay it in one go), magically, all the outstanding issues seemed to resolve themselves.

My website is at www.textiletreasures.co.uk and as you can see, I now have a slightly different approach. Whereas before I had an online shop plus my Folksy shop, now I will have only a few of my latest creations on the website, with a direct link to my Folksy shop for the remainder.

If you build a website with the Moonfruit name in e.g. www.heidimeier.moonfruit.co.uk then this is free, and you can easily link to the Folksy site. You only need to pay if you expressly want a domain name, and as all my printed cards and prints have the website address on them, that was something I had to do!!

And the site works on tablets tooā€¦ (my big gripe with the previous supplier Mr S.ite, who charged me over Ā£200 for a website that had a shop that didnā€™t work on a tabletā€¦) :smile: :smile: :smile:

Wholeheartedly agree with Heidi above ( love the new website by the way Heidi, itā€™s ace ).

Iā€™ve got a Moonfruit website and it has been an absolute dream to do it. Really easy to understand. If you knew me, you would be shocked to hear me say that as I never in a million years thought that I could build my own.
After years and years of struggling to get websites designed by different people and not really knowing what I really wanted, I tried Moonfruit and it was fantastic.

Itā€™s still a work in progress as I must admit that Iā€™m never a 100% happy and always want to improve on it, but itā€™s a good base to have at the moment.

Iā€™ve still got the moonfruit web address at the mo, but will be changing it soon. My Husband has redirected it for the moment so if you type www.helenmccartney.co.uk it will go to the moonfruit address.
Iā€™ve not got a shop on there, but links to my 2 online shops. Maybe I will have a shop in the future, not sure at the moment.

Helen : )

1 Like