Does anyone actually sell much on Folksy?

Hi Zoe
You have some really nice things in your shop! I love the re useable shopping bags - I too haven’t been on Folksy for very long. I have a fb page that my youngest help set up for me when he was home for Christmas but I really have struggled to get to grips with it - I think I have about 3 followers but that possibly because I don’t really understand it very well. I’ve done far better with followers on Instagram - have you tried that? to me it seems so much easier and quicker than fb.
Di :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for looking at my shop!
No I haven’t tried instagram, maybe I should give it a go. Do you think you have had sales from it? You have some lovely items too, so cute! Zoe

1 Like

Hi Zoe,
I’m not really sure -it’s hard to tell really - I’ve sold nine things on here since October and I think only a couple have been from other Folksy sellers. Not sure where the other customers have been generated from. It might be worth you trying Instagram as its a lot easier I think than fb! Thanks for the lovely comments btw
Di

1 Like

I love your purses, and the photos are great too so I don’t think it’s your products letting you down, but just getting them in front of an audience.

Have you read the tips on the Folksy Blog about selling and using social media?

Hi,
Yes I suppose it is hard to tell. I will put instagram on my ‘to do list’.
Thanks Zoe

Hi,
Thanks for the lovely comment about my products. That really helps.
I will have another look at the social media stuff. I have started a Facebook pg, but not got many followers yet, its mainly friends that are viewing and commenting! Not sure how to reach a wider audience without boosting posts. As JollySmall suggested I might get started on instagram and see if that helps.
Your birds are gorgeous by the way!
Thanks for your help, Zoe

Hi Zoe,

Your shop is lovely you have good products and good photographs so you are half way there. I do think you need more products though for people to browse. Have you thought of joining the Daily Listing Challenge Thread here on the forums, they seem a very friendly bunch and would explain it all to you. They seem to get a lot of exposure on the front page by loving each others items and try to list something new everyday.

Good Luck with your lovely shop.

Hi Tracey,
I also used to sell a lot more here but sales have slowed over the last couple of years.
I sell on other platforms better but here is my first love as it’s where i started!
I am worried however that if I looked at just Folksy it would actually be costing me money not making me any. This is a second job for me so time is limited for promotion. I have to accept that I can promote very little so I have to accept sales as they come. I do love it here though so am very reluctant to give it up!
Emma

1 Like

It was bugging me as I knew that I had seen data somewhere on the number of items sold across the site. Can’t find any data for last year but in 2013 92,250 items were sold across the entire folksy site (there are currently about 5000 shops which works out as ~18 items sold per shop but obviously some sell more, others less). I can’t find equivalent data for 2014 but I did find that the top selling shop in terms of number of items sold shifted 3308 items (the shop in number 2 sold 2624 items) both these shops were jewellery shops so with a bit of promotion you should be able to achieve that sale a day. (data comes from http://blog.folksy.com/2015/01/15/the-folksy-charts-2014)

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your lovely comments on my shop. I am working on more products at the moment, so hopefully will have some more to add soon. I’ll have a look at the Daily listing thread too, not sure I could produce things that quickly though. You have some very pretty items.

It’s not down to luck, it’s down to hard work and research :slight_smile:

You have nice items, but not many listed yet. The purses are pretty, but there are many purses listed on here. The skirts are lovely - they are something more unusual on this site. You could try marketing the skirts at dance schools, dance clubs etc - lots of parents need dance costumes for their kids, including the circular skirts, and like to find something a bit different to what everyone else has.

Hi, Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. Certainly food for thought. You are right I don’t have many items. I suppose I was hoping to test the waters a bit and see what items were popular but it hasn’t quite worked out like that! I guess Im still trying to find my niche.

I love your purses, they’re gorgeous, very lovely fabric combinations!

Natalie x

1 Like

Thank you! Just had a peek at your shop - lovely colours. Your cowls and gloves look gorgeous! Where do you promote?

Ahh thank you @flowersandfrolics :grinning:

I promote on my own personal FB page, and a lot of my (very lovely) friends share on their pages too, I’ve been very rubbish on my business FB page though and haven’t posted on there for a year. I also use Instagram a lot. There’s also a lot of word of mouth, repeat customers and I get found loads on google search, most of my customers are guest buyers, who have found my items searching on Google or searching on Folksy, so you must have good tags, keywords and descriptions. I also carry business cards with me all the time, and if the conversation turns to what I do, I hand them a card. I always wear my own knitwear too, so if someone comments on it, I hand them a card! I always include a business card with my orders with my Folksy shop address on too, it’s very silly not to really and a complete wasted opportunity.

A couple of years ago, I was in M&S Xmas shopping , wearing my gloves and a complete stranger came up to me and asked if I was wearing More Tea, Vicar? gloves! I was so happy!

It’s well worth having a read of the Folksy blogs for tips and help and a wealth of information, and also well worth reading the Shop Talk seller interviews by other sellers on the Folksy blog, they’re really interesting and helpful too http://blog.folksy.com/ and here’s my seller interview http://blog.folksy.com/2014/10/25/shop-talk-more-tea-vicar and you can find all the others from here http://blog.folksy.com/category/interviews/seller-interviews

Hope that helps, your work is lovely, keep at it and keep positive!

Natalie xx

2 Likes

HI,
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Ive just read your interview too. Wow thats amazing that someone recognised your gloves! I love all the colours you use.

I will take your advice and go through the Folksy tips. I guess its a balance of trying to make more and promote more at the same time!

Thank you for your encouragement, Zoe

1 Like

Your purses are gorgeous, so I definitely wouldn’t give up xx

1 Like

Yes, i’m the same Emma, I always come back to Folksy because this is where I first started getting my sales. Before all this I made the jewellery for Monica Vinader way back in 2003 till 2006 so it deflates me that I used to make one off pieces of jewellery and they used to put them in the studio for £300+ and they used to sell really quickly. I left there to have my family but always had in mind starting making and selling myself and had no idea how hard it would be. But as other people have mentioned, it now seems more people are taking up making jewellery. Tracy x

Thanks Sasha, that’s really interesting to hear. :slight_smile:

Hi Zoe

You’re very welcome, happy to be of help :relaxed:

Natalie x