Does anyone actually sell much on Folksy?

Hi, apologies already as I am not getting used to this forum at all. :slight_smile: As in the title really, does ā€œanyoneā€ sell much on Folksy?" I have over several days watched the best sellers list and to be honest it can change and it looks like only a very small sale has been made. I do sell well usually away from Folksy to family, friends, word of mouth etc but have sold nothing since returning. When I first used Folksy years ago I sold well but it was a lot smaller community then and still a beta website. Maybe too much competition for me now :frowning: ā€¦Oh well I will see how it goes and look forward to hearing your views.

Tracy x

1 Like

It depends on what you call ā€œmuchā€! I sell regularly although my profits are not such that I can make a living out of it (although I believe some do) but I do make enough to put it aside towards treats - holidays, trips out, shopping trips etc. I think the key is promotion and driving traffic to your folksy shop, if you just leave it sitting there it is unlikely you will sell much. I notice you are also in a very competitive field so it may be harder for you to pick up sales.

3 Likes

I wonder how long youā€™ve been on here, Tracy? 157 sales seems pretty good if your hasnā€™t been open long. Youā€™re jewellery is lovely but there is a lot of beaded jewellery to choose from on Folksy. Iā€™ve been here since 2009 and have had ups and downs, for example Iā€™ve only had four sales this month but thatā€™s four more than April last year! Iā€™m sure other people can advise you better than me about promotion, which apparently is what weā€™re supposed to do. There are a few people who do very well here. I hope things pick up for you.

1 Like

The best sellers list is based on value of sales not number so if you are selling expensive items you donā€™t need to sell many items to get on there. There could well be people selling lots of cheaper items who never make it into the top 40 - if youā€™re selling earrings at Ā£5 you would need to sell 11 items to achieve the same turn over as if the lady at number 1 sells a single ring for Ā£55. I wouldnā€™t pay the best sellers list too much attention if I were you as it really is biased in favour of those selling expensive items (Iā€™ve made it into the top 20 on occasion by selling a single expensive item but there are plenty of shops out there who sell far more items than me).
Jewellery is very crowded, especially in the under Ā£25 price brackets, so if you want to sell well and attempt to make the top 40 you need to make sure your items are attractively photographed, well described and appropriately tagged so that they are found in searches both on site and via google and then promote like crazy.

2 Likes

I think your sales are good,its just a case of driving people to your shop. I have only recently started to use my shop again so i havent had any sales recently

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your response :slight_smile: Ideally I would like to sell an item a day/ ā€¦ but maybe my lack of getting myself noticed is letting me down, as I am basically just hoping customers see my items, then like, then buy. Iā€™ve been back three days, only had one person like an item. Plus yes, there are so many people making and selling jewellery now. When I first started out there wasnā€™t as many, but even recently my friend said she had bought some beads and was going to make jewellery. So i feel less talented than I ever have lol.

Thanks for your response :slight_smile: When I first had a go at selling on Folksy it was years ago, Iā€™m not sure exactly but I know it was just a trial site to start with. I could sell two items to one customer then! Oh they were the days lol. There is so much lovely jewellery on Folksy now, maybe itā€™s not realistic that I will sell now which is a shame, I really take a lot of care of everything I do, and iā€™ve been known to go mad on buying lovely tissue paper, crystals, bags etc without really thinking that iā€™m making no profit at all doing all that. But I love pretty things and I enjoy that so thatā€™s got to be part of it for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your advise :slight_smile: Yes, you are right. I will never make the list :cry: lol. Well I think I need to concentrate on my promoting.

Yes I definitely need to do more promoting. I am sat just waiting for sales which is all iā€™ve done before, but Folksy is a lot bigger than it ever was.

Can someone point me in the direction of the best sellers list - canā€™t seem to see that anywhere?

1 Like

I googled it and it came up with the link :wink:

Many thanks.

1 Like

https://folksy.com/bestsellers

1 Like

Thank you - got it. Never would have found that on my own.

1 Like

Not anymore- my glory days are long gone it seems :slight_smile:

Never mind when I do get a sale it is still a thrill :smile:

1 Like

Following this thread because I only reactivated my Folksy page a month a ago and wanted similar advice, but I see Iā€™m number 3 on the best sellers list! :flushed:
Iā€™m not sure how that can be butā€¦ Ok! :smile::+1:

2 Likes

Like Sarah @plainprimitives, my glory days are long gone too! I used to do quite well on here. Not just in sales but in b&m shop enquiries and magazine and book features too. So quiet nowadays compared to what it wasā€¦

Without really thinkingā€¦Thatā€™s good,that makes you a real artist,designer and jeweller.Profit is nice but your work is your very essence,something that is priceless.

Sadly the jewellery market is saturated - which makes it much harder to get sales. Itā€™s the ā€˜inā€™ thing to have as a ā€˜paying hobbyā€™ at the moment - Iā€™m on a few forums and Facebook, and if a friend says they are starting a new hobby to make some spare cash I can guarantee it will be jewellery making. It was the same with handmade cards a fair few years ago - I did really well selling cards for a few years, and then suddenly the shops were full of card making stuff and the market was flooded.

There are plenty of customers out there, but they are spoilt for choice, and the sales are spread between many, many sellers.

But keep on with promoting your work on Facebook, Twitter etc - lots of new makers give up if they donā€™t get sales quickly, itā€™s those who keep going that win through in the end, and youā€™ve stuck at it, so youā€™ll build up your customer base again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
Youā€™re lucky! I have had a Folksy shop for almost a year and have only sold one item! I know I donā€™t have many items for sale and I wonder if thats putting people off or maybe people just donā€™t like my items?? I do seem to get a few shop views, but no sales.

I started a fb page to try and promote but donā€™t have many followers on that either. I wish i knew where I am going wrong.

1 Like