Fabric scissor recommendations please

I have had a pair of scissors Ive used to cut fabric for many years. They have been showing signs of ware over the years but seeing as I seem to use them for everything including cutting sticky tape, they have finally become unuseable for fabric and have been downgraded to general scissor usage.
So I wondered if anybody could recommend some fabirc cutting scissors please so I can add them to my Xmas present list (Yes Im 39 and have a list).
Thanks

I use a pair of heavy dressmaking shears that I’ve had for many years. They’re made by Taylor’s of Sheffield and I never ever use them for cutting paper or anything other than fabric, as that blunts them very quickly. I have thought about getting a rotary cutter instead, as they are more accurate when cutting through several layers of fabric, but I’m so used to my shears now, I’m not sure I could change!

Thanks for your reply. I have a rotary cutter and have to admit I ruined the disc blade pretty early on. It leave a big chunk uncut, plus its quite tricky to get the correct angle to make it cut at all. But I suppose practice would improve things.
Thanks for the scissor recommendation. Il give them a google.

Hi there, I really do recommend these, you can pick them up in Tesco and Sainsbury’s, better to pick them up in Sainsbury’s as they are only £2.80 and £3.00 in Tesco.

I have 2 of these and they really are that good and very sharp so you will get a nice clean cut, I also have a nice chunky pair of tailor Singer scissors too.

Hope that helps x

I ordered a set of these from Amazon and they are brilliant. You can keep the large ones for fabric only so they stay nice and sharp and the others are great for everything else. Less than £10 for the set.

1 Like

I use a pair of Fiskars for my fabric scissors and they give a nice clean cut, even through multiple layers of medium weight cotton. I have a Fiskars sharpener that does a good quick sharpen when I need it.

You can buy replacement blades for most rotary cutters on ebay for only a couple of pounds. You really need a good quilting ruler to cut properly with them though, something big and wide (and thicker than normal rulers) that will hold whatever you’re cutting nice and still so you get a clean line.

I have Fiskars ones plus a very old pair of heavy old style ones that are Sheffield steel.

I do have a rotary cutter but to be honest I’ve cut myself far too many times with it. Also it requires a solid edge ie a ruler or quilting square to run against and unless you buy those flexi curves with it you can’t cut anything other than straight lines.

I use Fiskars but as a leftie find there is very little choice in this right handed world.

I got a pair of dressmaking scissors from tescos and they are great. Not massive and long but do what they should.

I have two pairs of Fiskars scissors (small and large) and they have lasted for years. I also got some scissors from Ernest Wright & Son Ltd for my birthday. They are a bit pricey, but handmade in Sheffield and very nice quality. I am sure they will last a lifetime!

Ernest Wright were featured in a You Tube video that went viral. They are having a job to keep up with demand, so it takes a good few weeks for your order to arrive at the moment. Well worth the wait, though!

1 Like

I think I have fallen in scissor love …

Fiskars…and a good scissor sharpener!! I have a different pair of scissors for different jobs!

My cutting out scissors are by Sewing Devils and I have been using them for years. I would be lost without them and I am very strict about using them for fabric only!

I swear by Wiss - old-style tailoring shears. Not cheap but a good investment - my two pairs are still going strong after more than 40 years.

Julie