Halloween plans?

With Halloween coming up in a few days, is anyone planning anything for it?
Personally, I do really enjoy this time of year but I never really do anything major for it, I just love to cosy up with my favourite films, and my niece and nephew may visit over the weekend to do some activities like baking and crafting- halloween themed of course!
I’m just really interested to know what others like to do this time of year, and what you guys think about it.

It’s quite popular with the kids around my area; there’s always trick or treating going on and parties, so we usually prepare something for that. One thing we started doing recently was getting fruit bags; slices of apple, etc.as an alternative to the usual treats just to balance things out on the sweets front.

Anyway, any plans?

2 Likes

We are having a couple of my kids’ friends over, to do Halloween challenges. We did it the last couple of years and it has been a massive hit. My favourite one and the one that all the kids so far seem to be dreading, is when they need to figure out what it is in the bowl, using only their hands and being blindfolded. For some reason they find cornflakes in water with a couple of plastic eyeballs very scary and disgusting :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

:joy: When you can’t see a thing, anything in a bowl has got to be scary :joy: At least it’s not peeled grapes and jelly!
Sounds like an absolute blast though, I’ll have to give that one a try with the kids!

2 Likes

We’ve not really got any plans, it’s always very quiet for trick or treaters here, unlike our last house where we had loads.
I remember as a child doing the blindfolded stick your hands in a bowl of something horrible…. Scarred for life I was :scream::rofl:

1 Like

@PaintedHorseArt At least you can chill and not have to worry about getting off the sofa every few minutes :joy: I wouldn’t mind a quiet year with just a few kids coming to the door; might be in luck this year now I’ve said that!

1 Like

That sticking your hands in a bowl blindfolded does sound a bit gross :sweat_smile:
I don’t do a lot for Halloween but do like to carve a pumpkin. We’ve bought cooking ones this time so will attempt to bake something with them straight after the carving too! :grimacing: :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Oooh now you’ve given me an idea, my Mum used to make the most amazing marrow and ginger jam, I’m wondering if pumpkin would work instead of marrow now?

1 Like

This is true, I don’t miss keep getting up and down :blush:

Oh that sounds interesting, I say give it a go! (Although I should add I am not a great cook and don’t bake that often so I may be completely wrong :rofl:). You’ll have to let us know if you try it and how it turns out.

1 Like

Well apparently you can get tons of recipes for pumpkin and ginger jam, so my idea wasn’t quite a new one :rofl: if i do it I’ll let you know, I’m currently eating my way through, plum, apple and blackberry, raspberry jams and green tomato chutney and pickled onions, (not all together :rofl:) so it might not happen this year, my store cupboard is a bit full.

2 Likes

Pumpkin and ginger jam sounds absolutely delish; we make jam during the summer but never thought about one for later in the year. I may have to give that one a go myself sometime.

2 Likes

We always roast the pumpkin seeds, after scooping out the mush from inside. A sprinkling of salt and curry powder, they taste lovely. We have tried this in our air fryer this year, and it works just as well as in the oven, so everyone’s happy!

2 Likes

@HeidiMeier ooo I like the sound of that!

Neice and nephew are here this afternoon, absolute chaos as always. Just attempting to bake halloween biscuits with them. Already arguing over who puts the flour in :joy:

2 Likes

And then comes the who gets to lick the spoon/bowl :blush: sounds like you’ve got a busy day ahead.

1 Like

@HeidiMeier i like the sound of that too….

1 Like

Baking with my sisters kids went down a treat yesterday, they made loads of shortbread pumpkins and cats. They took a box of them home and we kept a few, they were pretty good!

2 Likes

Neice and nephew dropped in briefly from school to get ready for a halloween party, which was a whirlwind of madness doing their makeup and getting little ladys hair done. Little witch and a skeleton left the front door in the end!

Now I can have a (possibly) peaceful evening baking a pie for dinner!

Hope everyone has a lovely and safe halloween!

2 Likes

Even as children we never done Halloween. I just don’t ‘get’ halloween to be honest. Yes I appreciate that dressing up and having a party is fun if that’s what people like to do but I’d much rather be snuggled at home with a good movie and my knitting to be honest.
I definitely don’t get trick or treat though. All year kids are told not to talk to, or take sweets from strangers but on 31st October it’s suddenly OK :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes