I have no idea what I'm doing!

Hi Everyone,
I have just recently turned my attention to my Folksy shop after opening summer last year but I have no idea how Folksy works.
I have a shop on the other well known handmade site that begins with an “E”, and I understand that site, I find that site much easier to work around and I like the feel of that site but Folksy, I have no idea how it works.
The one thing I find quite difficult, is when I promote my Folksy shop, I don’t know whether promoting has worked until the next day. They don’t show you stats until the day after which it’s difficult to track views and what time of day my shop is busiest.

Is there any advice from seasoned Folksy sellers? How can I understand Folksy better?

2 Likes

Have you got google analytics, as that’s the only way to tell. You as also included in the views I believe. Difficult😖

1 Like

In theory it is possible to remove yourself from the views by excluding your IP address but I think if you use a mobile network the IP address changes so its not possible to do - at least I think thats the case but I’m happy to be corrected!

1 Like

Yes, I did get google analytics but I dont think it worked.

Yes its its useless it changes unexpectedly.

I don’t get much traffic, beginning to wonder…

I can’t help you I’m afraid. I have google analytics’s but very rarely check out the results, I should do it more but I keep forgetting :slight_smile:
Good luck with your shop x

I hadn’t seen your lovely shop before but I love your infinity scarves and have favourite’d several of them for when I’m less broke.

Hello all, Im very new to Folksy, so new infact I joined tonight! Im finally getting my head round everything but one thing that’s bugging me (and forgive me for having a moment of nieveity) But when calculating my price I add in the price of the listing and 6% commission however im worried the more I add onto the price to cover these costs, the more Folksy will take off me and if I don’t add it into the price I lose my money so Im losing either way. What Im really asking is how do sellers take into account the 6% commission fee without losing money or without hiking up their prices?

Sorry I told you im very new to this!!!

Thankyou all in advance

Aww. Thank you! I also have a lovely floral lace scarf which I haven’t listed on Folksy yet. I have it listed on my other shop, I will prob list it here tomorrow.
Your shop is lovely and you have got sales :smiley:

Hi - I wouldn’t worry about Folksy taking money from you if your prices are higher because if you’ve priced to cover costs and take a profit then any money that goes to Folksy is only going to happen when you sell something. (Bit like the income tax debate - some people may not like paying it but the good news is you only pay it if you are being successful and making money!!)

There are some very good blogs around on pricing (including on Folksy) and you just need to be confident about your own products (I know that’s easier said than done) and set the price that is the right one for you and which makes you money.

The best way is to list what you have at the price you want (cost of goods, profit etc), and take things from there. One of the other people here on Folksy said once ‘don’t assume everyone who shops online has the same budget that you might have’ and that’s a great piece of advice. Just because you wouldn’t pay x for an object, doesn’t mean that others would think the same!

Good luck with your shop - look forward to seeing it stocked with goodies!

As a rough guide I work out the cost of my materials, add some for my time and profit. This gives me the amount I want to get out of the sale. I then add 12% which covers Folksy fees and Paypal fees…

Kim
x

Thankyou so much everyone for the advice!! Iv roughly priced everything up but totally forgot about the paypal fees! than kgoodness you reminded me of this! looks like Il need to start my spreadsheet with figures again! :smiley: silly me. Thankyou again for the advice and help

Gem