I went to Hobbycraft today

looking for beads and I was really surprised that there was only literally a 2 metre area designated to jewellery making! The bead trays were almost empty and I wondered it they were winding down the jewellery making section altogether.
I must admit I haven’t been in for ages but they used to have a whole aisle dedicated to jewellery making. It was the same with rubber stamping too…the selection was so small.

I went to The Range afterwards and it was exactly the same there.

Have I been living in a bubble for the last few years and hadn’t noticed? Are jewellery making and rubber stamping crafts on the decline or do people just buy their supplies online now?

2 Likes

Theyve wound down that section in our Hobby craft too. There was a whole of one aisle and now its a small corner upstairs. The beads were originally four of five shelves are now just one small shelf. I don’t really use them but my daughter caught the bug of making bracelets.

3 Likes

I have seen a lot of people give up jewellery making as a business recently, I think it is due to the market being so saturated it is really hard to get sales.
I also think the jewellery selling market has moved on from cheaper beads to silversmithing and artisan beads such as lampwork and ceramic.

4 Likes

I went to ours a couple of months ago, I went to look at the dies for the big shot machines and there wern’t any, they only had the cricut machines which was a bit of a surprise. They had a lot of tacky Easter decorations at the time. They had also changed their storage boxes from good quality ‘Really useful storage boxes’ to a cheaper version, what looked like a copy of them and what I actually went in to buy. I actually didn’t buy anything at all last time i went.

2 Likes

I guess they need to move with the times but I thought jewellery making was always so popular.
I didn’t really look round properly but it looked like they were stocking more craft kits and the kids craft section looked a lot bigger.

2 Likes

I went to Hobbycraft this morning as well, and I know exactly what you mean. There were only a few metal dies and stamps, but I think this is down to digital cutting & stamping. I guess there is a lot more profit in selling cricut machines & vinyl, than it is with metal dies & rubber stamps. I cannot really compare with the past as I only found out recently one “near” me, and the last time I went was more than 4 years ago, in the store in Reading, which was massive and over two floors, while the one I went today it was only 1 floor, so I guess that plays a small part as well. Craft kits are also very popular at the moment, and I will agree about the kid’s craft section, it seemed to have a lot more variety.

3 Likes

I’ve always had an issue with Hobbycraft and only use it in an emergency as they don’t really stock what I want. I also think the quality has gone down as well - card and envelopes seem very flimsy - in the past they used to stock a few quite nice items.

3 Likes

Ues I thought the same when i went, they are definately stocking cheaper made items, I noticed that with the storage boxes.

2 Likes