International sales to Northern Ireland post Brexit January 2021

Hi everyone,

International sales - I have just turned them off while I calmly work out what to do, getting an EORI number etc.

Please could someone clarify what happens with sales to Northern Ireland? It’s in the UK, but there seems to be heaps of contradictory advice about shipping to it post-Brexit.

Will parcels to NI be charged a customs fee, Vat and a handling fee when they arrive, to be paid by the customer? What should I advise on my Buying from me section? Do I need an XI EORI number?

Is NI included in the Folksy shipping definition of UK - and if so, that could cause a spot of bother if the above is true, even though NI is in the UK. By turning off international sales, have I actually achieved the zen like calm I was hoping for, if a sale to NI could still come in? Tricky!

Any clarity welcome. Thank you!

At the moment there is no change, but this may be different from April 1st.
Here is the link to where I have been looking…

1 Like

I can’t answer all your questions but yes you would need an XI eori number. And yes NI is included in the UK shipping on Folksy - I’ve previously had orders from NI so no turning off international shipping won’t have actually achieved what you are hoping for.

1 Like

Ah that’s very helpful, thank you! I have looked at a lot of advice pages but hadn’t found this one. Thanks so much for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, thanks! I will have to look elsewhere for the calm I was hoping to achieve then :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’m still a bit confused! I’ve just had a sale on the other side to Belfast and forgot to request an EORI number for Northern Ireland (already have a GB one!) but it says it’s going to take up to 4 working days - oops caught out on this one!

I also only have UK post on both my Folksy and E*** shops but obviously they still count Northern Ireland as UK, which they should, but this extra application stuff for EORI numbers for the odd order to NI is a bit ridiculous!?!?

The link you posted Kim (@KBCreations) mentions parcels etc but does a large letter count as a parcel? I suppose it does!? This is where I get really confused!!

Cheers, Amanda

You do not need a CN22 form or EORI number for orders going to NI. However, this may change in March

Oh right! Is this a grace period or something then, so everyone can get an EORI no?

Cheers, Amanda

Am I right in thinking you don’t need your own EORI for items sent anywhere by Royal Mail anyway? - thought I’d picked that up from the other thread.

1 Like

Oooh I don’t know! I was on a .gov.uk page and it mentioned parcels by couriers and Royal Mail, so this is where I got confused…

I thought I read it on the other thread that you’re covered by Royal Mail’s own EORI so I haven’t bothered applying for any but hopefully someone will confirm :smile:

1 Like

It is certainly my understanding that items sent by Royal Mail will be covered by their EORI number (that’s whats been happening for the last decade or so since EORI numbers were introduced). However it is really simple to get one so I would do that and then you have it in case RM change their mind or an overseas customer asks for courier shipping (I’d had my EORI number for 14 months and never used it until someone in the US said I’ll pay for courier shipping to get it here for christmas and DHL then asked for it)

Thank you and good point :smile:

Just butting in. If you buy your postage at the PO you currently don’t need an EORI number, but if you buy your postage online (via RM C&D for example) you should have an EORI number

That’s interesting, so I’d need one then as I always buy online either directly from the Royal Mail site or clicking through via Paypal, but amounts to the same thing. Hadn’t considered this might be different from buying postage at the Post Office - world has indeed gone crazy! Thank you for confirming, appreciated.