It really *is* worth getting proof of posting!

@HopHopHop As long as you have a certificate of postage you can claim and you will get reimbursed (up to £20) you don’t have to send everything signed for in order to successfully claim. Just thought I’d mention it, as you could save a lot of money by not sending everything signed for

1 Like

I send items over £10 in value signed for, and less than that I normally get just a proof of posting.
However, a friend of mine tried to claim for an item that went missing when she only had proof of posting and only got a few stamps sent to her as compensation, and they weren’t for the value of the item, but just covered the ‘material cost’.

It would save a lot, but on the phone they said it’s because with tracked you can see it got lost and with a proof of postage you can’t prove it is lost.

I get this problem when it’s not our normal postman. Mail for the road not the close ends up being put through my letterbox then I have to go deliver it.

My normal postie is great though and will never leave a package outside as they are not supposed to do that in case it’s stolen off the door step or the elements ruin the item.

Hmm @HopHopHop The cynic in me would say, of course RM would want you to send everything signed for, as they make more money from you! I’ve successfully claimed for lost items (under £20) with just proof of postage

I have to admit to only having claimed once as only one thing has gone missing - and that we know was taken from the customer’s ‘safe place’ after delivery. It was not sent signed for but RM paid up the £18.50 I claimed.

I only send signed for when the value is well in excess of the £20 limit as I Hate it when little, low value items are sent signed for unnecessarily to me.
My postie leaves things which won’t go through the letterbox in my outside loo. It’s the first place we check if we’ve been out, as we come down the garden to the house, in case there’s a package there.
If something arrives signed for when I’m not in, or up in the garage out of sight and sound of the front door, the parcel is taken away again and I get a card… which I find truly aggravating.

I do get proof of posting for everything.