Do you buy your own stamps and send your items off, or do you always use the Post office?

Hi ladies I just wanted to know, as I have a post box right outside my house and there are times that I can’t make it to the Post office in time, my husband does say that I should stock up on a few stamps but sending your items at the Post office gives you proof that you have posted your item and that little bit of security.

Most of my items are too big to go in the post box, but for those that will fit I will quite often just pop them in the box. If I don’t have any stamps in I print the postage using Royal Mail online - it’s a bit fiddly but saves queueing in the PO. Haven’t had any problems so far touch wood

I don’t use pre bought stamps in those books as you have no proof of posting in an item gets lost in the post.

I always go to the post office and make sure for lower priced items I get my proof of posting. Thankfully I do as I had to make a claim for lost package at Christmas time and now have my money back from Royal Mail.

I also use signed for when I post more expensive items.

I take most of mine to the post office, larger pieces need to go that way and even many of my miniatures, recently a lot have been international and as others have said best to have proof of posting.

I do occasionally pop small ones in the post box but they have changed the collections times since Christmas so the two nearest post boxes only have one collection at 9am so unless hubby posts it in his way to work and we can catch that collection I take them to the post office. I don’t like the thought of my little paintings sitting in a box over night.

I send everything signed for so I have to go to the post office - I make it a stop off on my daily cycle. Also I think I’m equidistant from the post office and the post box.

Thank you for your replies ladies I think I will buy a few stamps for my little items and do the post office ones for the others.

I always pop in the post office as it’s just up the road, and I like the proof of postage receipt. :smiley:

Karen

I never go to the post office, unless the item is too large to fit in the post box. I use the PayPal postage system and have never had a problem with losing an item…famous last words.

Liz
x

1 Like

Paypal requires proof of purchase, if there is a dispute about an item. (eg. Non-delivery), so I prefer to use the post office. It depends whether you are prepared to risk having to post a duplicate.
To be fair, things always seem to get there OK, but you never know…
My more valuable/time-consuming items always get sent “signed-for” anyway. Most of those are unique items, so I don’t want the risk, as I often couldn’t make a duplicate.

I don’t mind going to the Post Office, its only a 15 minute walk away so I can kill 2 birds with one stone, exercise and posting parcels.

3 Likes

I can only make a rough educated guess on how much most of my items postgae will cost, so I have to go to the PO.

I use the PO :slight_smile: I always like to get a proof of posting.

Love xxx

I buy stamps in bulk and then if the package is envelope-sized I take the pre-stamped envelope to the post office for proof of posting.

For international and parcels and larger orders that need to go signed-for, I pay at the post office.

I’ll be buying lots more stamps before they go up again at the end of the month!

I bulk buy in stamps and fill out the proof of postage page at home , then the post office just have to stamp the form.
They used to get annoyed with me if I went in with loads of packets needing proof when they were busy, so this way saves them time . Also it means the stamps get bought with my business account rather than me getting in a muddle with money in my purse.

I Always go to the post office. I then see my packages put into the post bag, have a proof of postage and…I’ve only ever had one package go awol (and suspect the customer was to blame for that)

As for signed for. Humphhhhh. First one I sent (replacement for the awol one above and paid for by customer ) … never got signed for and Royal Mail refunded the postage.
.Not sent many more that way just occasionally to give higher insurance cover.
. Posted one to Northern Ireland on Friday. Been checking the tracking - still hanging about at my local postage - last known track. Had an email from customer yesterday - delighted to have received it Saturday. Just checked - still not moved. Think I’ll see if Royal Mail would like to refund that one too ! :smile:

We use Royal Mail online and pay and print the postage then pop them in the post box - I’m not sure whether that would be classed as proof of postage but it would at least be proof we have paid the postage.

For items more valuable than one of our cards, we would send it through the post office for that extra piece of mind whereas someone saying a card hasn’t turned up (which hasn’t happened yet although one took 8 days first class!) it’s not too much trouble to post a duplicate out.

I think for people with one of a kind items, that have a high value or take a long time then it’s worth going to the post office.

1 Like

They only problem is yes it does prove you’ve bought the postage but it’s not proof it’s been posted. Getting ‘Proof of Postage’ from the post office as you hand over your item to them and ask for the ‘Proof of Postage’ is the only real proof the item has been posted.

2 Likes

I use royal mail online account for uk mail but go to post office to post cards overseas

If its earrings or a bracelet and I know the postage cost, I just use a post box. So far, nothing has ever got lost. If if I have something I am unsure about or its overseas then I usually spend most of my hours lunch break queuing at the Post Office - hence the reason I just use the post box :slight_smile:

I always get a proof of posting, so I go to the post office.