It's Yorkshire Day!

So the 1st August is Yorkshire day, so let’s hear what you love about the county.
We love the scenery, from coast to hilltop, forest to city skyline.
We also love the city of York as it’s a city but a tiny one!

So come on get your flat caps on, get that yorkshire pudding batter in the oven and pour yourself a cup of Yorkshire tea and share your likes here :smile:

(any stereo type comments are said with love)…

1 Like

Living just over the border in Lancashire I like to escape to the tranquil hills and moorlands of Yorkshire. I do an odd hobby called Geocaching and Yorkshire has some wonderful geocaching walks to offer. Nom Nom nom yorkshire puddings mmmmmmm

I love the accents, and the scenery! :smile:

I was born there. It’s a lovely place in the summer but not too good in the winter when we have snow and ice.

Pauline

Yorkshire Day! Yorkshire Day! What is this?
And why is there not a Lancashire Day?
:smile:

Ahh! According to Wiki, Lancashire Day is on the 27th November.

I love Yorkshire even though it is on the other side of the Pennines and although it pains me to say it, your scenery is better than ours.

Hurrah for the White Rose of Yorkshire!

Shirley x (AKA Lancashire Lass)

PS Margaret @Louisa15 What accents? We don’t have accents in the north, it’s the rest of you that don’t speak proper!

2 Likes

Shirley, I might live here but I am a lassie from Lancashire originally and Gary is a Lancashire lad :smile:

1 Like

lol, I’m a Northerner too, but Yorkshire folk have a lovely way of speaking and a distinctive accent. They are straight talking too, like I am, that’s another thing I admire :smile:

1 Like

I’m not from Yorkshire myself, but I do have a fair bit of Yorkshire blood in my veins and proud of it. Applegarths of Hull and Stothards of Goole - any distant cousins out in Folksy land?

1 Like

I’ve lived here all my life (within 5 or 6 miles of my local town) so afraid I’m terribly biased but think nearly everything about Yorkshire is fantastic (although I’m not too keen on the rain that’s falling at the moment) My daughter is at Uni in Cornwall at the moment and has had to adapt her way of speaking so people from ‘down there’ can understand her :-)(not that I have anything against Cornish people, if I wasn’t living in God’s Own County I’d be down there myself)

1 Like

I am in Whitby and we are celebrating yorkshire day with a special event tonight which Mr Oakapple is compering! There is a yorkshire quiz as well.
For my part I am drinking yorkshire tea as usual.

Oh I forgot, Mr Oakapple will be tonight sporting a splendid white rose which my mum has crocheted for him!

Happy yorkshire day everyone

Ellie x

1 Like

I’m from Lancashire and still have a bit of the accent to prove it, despite not having lived there full time since 1970. I lived near enough to walk across the border on a nice sunny weekend - so I didn’t get to do the crossing very often :smile: Always carried my passport when dog walking on the moors in case I accidentally stepped over the line :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Celebrating here in York with York Brewery beer and a homemade curry. Too warm for a roast beef and Yorkshire pud dinner tonight! I am actually from Lancashire though, but don’t tell the locals.

That is once I have finished editing a pile of photos and listed some new bits and bobs!

1 Like

It seems there’s a lot of Lancashire folk who’ve wandered over the Peninnes :smile:

Your chain mail jewellery is wonderful, looks like it could have been inspired by Medieval York.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Medieval York does help, as does knowing a pile of the Vikings and Historical Fencers that are based here! Gives me a small but consistent little following!

Gorgeous printing by the way :smile:

I love it here in Yorkshire, I’m originally from Shropshire but loved it so much I decided to stay after uni, thats about 25 years that I have lived here. Huddersfield might not be the most glam of places but I’m proud to have worked in the worsted industry and love hearing the stories about Huddersfield at the height of its success.
Yes, I’ve been in quite a few mills in my time :smile:

1 Like

Married to a Sheffield lad and on a clear day can see the hills of the beautiful green city. Only problem is that half the time and after twelve years together I still can’t understand him! Sometimes, thats a good thing.

3 Likes

People struggle to understand me down here in Devon too. I find myself saying things twice so that they can hear what I’m saying.

Pauline

2 Likes

I’m also married to a Sheffield lad and its funny when we visit family and friends there. We sometimes cannot understand a word my hubbies best mate is saying and he has to ask me what he’s saying. Its quite funny. Hubby doesn’t have a typical Sheffield accent. He sounds quite posh.

Pauline

2 Likes

There is something special about Sheffield men. Must be the steel backbone!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for pointing out it’s Yorkshire day. I posted my Yorkshire Rose on my facebook page and tagged it #yorkshire and it got auto tweeted and now I’ve acquired Flint Bedrock as a new follower. He’s got 64.4k followers.
I must come up with some witty posts - maybe I can go viral :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes