January 2019 Art Chat Thread

Happy New Year all.
Thought I’d start the thread for the new year, though I’ve nothing new to post. I am working on a painting today as my hangover clears!
Thanks for all the support and advice on this thread. i have only been on Folksy since October, but have made a few sales and hope to improve on this in 2019.
I am intending to have a go at some ACEOs n watercolour. I believe they are about 3.5" x 2.5" in size and I know some of you have done some, so your thoughts on them would be most welcome.
I thought it might be a good way of increasing the number of original pieces in my shop, as I have already done quite well with sales of original paintings, versus prints and cards.

4 Likes

Happy New Year Chris…
I have sold over 3000 aceos…they were started in the US when an artist who was trying to sell his work realised that the reason for the lack of sales was that people were running out of wall space to hang their paintings. At the time there was a craze for people to collect cigarette or football cards so he came up with the idea of painting pictures of the same size that would fit into the photo albums that are designed especially for this size. 2.5" x 3.5" (MUST be that size to be called an aceo) It stands for art cards, editions and originals.
To be specific here…and this is important…technically, there is no difference between aceos and atcs. (artist trading cards) However, for the purists, it is important to be clear…aceos are sold and atcs are trading cards that people SWAP or give away…
A lot of people don’t realise this…What we create and sell are therefore aceos.
(no harm in using the tag ATC though, although make sure people know that you are not prepared to swap them!!)
Most people sell their aceos in tiny polybags that are made especially for them…(I have a link if you want it). They are cheap and I usually buy 500 at a time.
There is usually a good, steady turnover of aceos as they can be kept at affordable prices.
Hope that helps
Bet you wish you hadn’t asked now ha ha x

6 Likes

Thanks for the great advice once again Brenda @teabreaks. I will definitely have a go, though I doubt I will live long enough to match your impressive output of 3000!
The link for the polybags would be useful. I have found a couple off my own bat, but the more the merrier. You might prefer to send it via private message or Facebook in case it conflicts with any of Folksy policies on other sales sites.
Thanks again and a Happy New Year! x

2 Likes

Happy New Year!

That’s interesting Brenda, @teabreaks thank you. 3000 is an astonishing number, so clearly there is a good market for aceos, and I can see why. I shall have to have a think about whether I can manage to work that small without increasing my Glasses prescription!!

3 Likes

@HelenCliffordArt once you start aceos it is difficult to GO LARGE again …lol…

3 Likes

@ChrisStoneArtist I will pm you with the details in a while…

1 Like

Bumping this up to move the old chat thread down a bit…lol.x
Chris, I have sent you a link in the private messages…I don’t think it would annoy folksy admin because it is not something that can be bought on here and is needed for your work.
Brenda x

1 Like

I’m going to be cheeky and add this chap to the thread, he only just made it into the last days of the December thread, listed today. Watercolour painting of an Oystercatcher.

7 Likes

Happy New Year Graham

1 Like

Happy New Year everyone :tada:

3000 aceo’s sold Brenda @teabreaks that’s amazing!

I’m working on new designs for Valentine’s and Mother’s day at the moment, hoping to get them finished, take pics and list them at the weekend, fingers crossed.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Probably a lot more than that Tina…I had feedback of over 2.5k on the auction site and half the people didn’t even leave feedback…then over 500 on folksy and more on the dark side…not to mention any private sales…mind you, that IS over 11 years…
Doing crochet at the moment as I have dozens of aceos waiting to be listed.

One of my acrylics…long ago sold…but just to keep me on this thread while I crochet.x

3 Likes

A new one from me. The lovely Sennen Cove, Cornwall, devoid of the usual surfers and tourists. I have added a little oil pastel in places, which is quite daring of me as I am normally a watercolour purist. I have decided mixed media can be quite fun!

2 Likes

Wow, I’m so impressed Brenda, @teabreaks love your work.

Loving your Sennen Cove painting Chris, we stayed just in land from there on one of our hols. Cornwall is such an amazing place.

Here’s one of my little illustrations for one of my new cards :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Love the daisies Tina, makes me think of Spring…on our way soon.
Chris your work is stunning…If I paint in watercolour, I often add a touch of white or lemon acrylic because they show up better…I used to use gouache but the acrylic seems to work better.
Here is a fairy to brighten the day

1 Like

Happy, bright daisies, @DaisyWings!
I finally finished my Frosty Leaves picture in coloured pencils, but it won’t make it on to Folksy for a while, it might go to a local exhibition first.
frosty%20Leaves%20WIP%208%20-%20final%20-%20reduced

9 Likes

Beautiful work Helen x

1 Like

Beautiful @HelenCliffordArt

1 Like

It was so tricky trying to leave enough ‘white’ for the frost on the edges. I have some good reference photos now for ‘non-frosty’ versions - which should be much quicker to do! I feel another series coming on…

2 Likes

Amazing work as always Helen.

2 Likes

Just wanted to pop by and wish everyone a Happy 2019! :smile:
@teabreaks Love the fairy Brenda, I am inspired to work on some fantasy pieces myself this year. @HelenCliffordArt What a stunning piece of work Helen! @DaisyWings I do enjoy the clean and bright feel of your artwork Tina, roll on spring! @ChrisStoneArtist Lovely piece Chris, very peaceful and warming, which is particularly appreciated since my fingers are struggling to type it is so cold!

4 Likes