January 2019 Art Chat Thread

I’m finally getting around to testing out my new paints from Christmas. I usually use good quality craft acrylics (the type that come in little bottles), but these are more like standard tube acrylics, although a little more fluid, so it’s going to take a little time to get used to.

I can’t completely forget my old paints though because I’ve still got lots of bottles left. Unfortunately I won’t be able to mix the two though because the old ones are matt and these have a slight sheen.

@HelenCliffordArt Wow, that definitely looks like a lot of work! it must have taken ages. I love crispy, frozen leaves.

1 Like

My favourites as well as the little bottles of acrylic are the ones from the SAA…they are lovely, creamy and flow well…I am not keen on Daler Rowney ones, they are gloopy.

1 Like

Yes, I like the flowing consistency you get from bottles, seems to make them blend really nicely (particularly on larger backgrounds, although I do more small these days).

I’ve never got on with acrylics - though I do use the white ink sometimes for whiskers on animal portraits.

I actually dislike acrylics…I seem to paint more of ME than the canvas. watercolours will always be my favourite choice…
here is another of my paintings…it need small touches of white acrylic for the water splashes

4 Likes

I have never used acrylics but would probably worry about their quick drying properties. I have used oils in the past but love the freshness you can achieve with watercolour. I particularly like doing pen and wash pictures. Here is my latest, of Fowey here in Cornwall.

2 Likes

I can’t stand oils (far too slow, and the last time I used them the smell made me feel sick). I don’t mind watercolour, but prefer the solid colour of acrylics, they just go better with the way I work. It’s good we all have our different favourites though, exhibitions would get very dull if all the work was done the same way. I appreciate the finished result of them all, even if I don’t like working with them myself.

It is a bit like working with a different medium with these new paints though, I’m not used to having to mix white in with nearly everything! I think that’s the normal way for acrylics, but with my bottled ones I guess they were all ready to go colours.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

a larger acrylic painting today

2 Likes

The Star #2, second of a pair i did over Christmas. A3 watercolour.

8 Likes

Good work @teabreaks and @GKWatercolourArt.

1 Like

Beautiful, Graham!

1 Like

Happy New Year Graham

2 Likes

And you too, and to everyone!

1 Like

Eilean Donan Castle, A3 watercolour. James Bond fans will be familiar with this place…

5 Likes

Beautiful picture Graham. Are you referring to Skyfall by any chance?

2 Likes

The World is Not Enough, MI6 headquarters. I think Skyfall had a lodge around Glencoe.

2 Likes

Great Crested Grebe, watercolour on hot pressed paper.

4 Likes

Bring back the old James Bond’s for me, I don’t like the way it is now violent and dark…lol
I shall be listing this watercolour later today

2 Likes