Jewellers chat..show us your favourite tool!

I have just invested in my first serious pendant motor, having previous used a dremil flex shaft, and have instantly fallen in love! I find working on my own quite isolating at times and I was wondering if any of the jewellery makers here would share what they find to be their most useful tool or what they really covet. I would love a durston rolling mill but will have to sell a bit more before I can justify that! So over to you my folksy friends…

2 Likes

Hi Heather,
I have a couple of pendant motors in my workshop, but have been toying with the idea of getting a Foredom for the hammer setting tool. Do you have that attachment for yours? Having never used one I’m wondering how easy they are to master, it’s a big outlay to find out.

I will take some pics of some of my favourite tools this afternoon, and share them this evening .

I find audio books invaluable for combatting the isolation of working solo, and the forum here of course.

1 Like

Thank for your reply Deborah. I’m afraid I don’t have the hammer setting tool with the foredom but did see it being used in my night classes previously . The tutor was using it for rubbing over bezels and it seemed to cut the time that job took in half. There were Milbro and foredom pendants in the workshop and I preferred the smoothness of the Foredom. I have the quick release handpiece which makes swapping attachments really quick. I do love audiobooks and the friendliness of the forum encouraged me to post. Its lovely to see the originality of what the jewellers are producing here and how high the quality of their products.

2 Likes

This will probably seem rather sentimental but my favourite tool is my work bench - made to measure with all my extra requests by my father in law so the ergonomics are great.

1 Like

An ergonomic bench is a great thing…what a treat to have one made to measure. Mines is a bit cobbled together would love to have a proper one made…one day!

1 Like

Here are 3 of my favourite tools that get used all the time, sprung loaded parallel pliers, (that I can’t find anywhere to buy these days), Tronex ultra flush cutters and basic solder snips. I worked 20 years without solder snips … thinking they were unnecessary, but they make life so much simpler. I wish I had always had a pair.

I bought a hydrogen welder this year, that is a current favourite too.

Tools I would love to try are a laser pulse welder, the Foredom setting tool and one of those industrial magnifying machines, all a bit spendy for a whim though.

2 Likes

2 days ago I ordered a ceramic block to do my soldering work on, it will(hopefully) allow me to imprint patterns into solder. I can’t wait to try it!!

1 Like

A hydrogen welder sounds like a serious bit of kit! Do you recommend the solder snips? I have always just used ordinary snips and find them a bit of a faff… will need to look at a pair of them. Read a little about the laser welders…now that is an investment!

That sounds interesting, it would be nice to see some of the work when you try it.

the solder snips are brilliant , nothing can fly away and you can cut tiny or large, and much easier on the hand. And they are cheap.

The hydrogen welder is brilliant for a hot tiny flame, so great for chain links etc.

2 Likes

I love all my jewelley tools! I also use my sewing machine, weaving loom, knitting machine to create my textile jewellery and love using them all so it is really hard to pick a favourite :roll_eyes: :smile:

1 Like

You beat me to the punch! Every silver jewellery maker needs solder snips. :heart_eyes:

Sam x

2 Likes

My ceramic block arrived today!!!

1 Like

That looks like a serious bit of kit Deborah, I will need to read up on those! Thanks for sharing.

Thats two votes for the snips, I need to invest in a pair of those I think :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

A hole has appeared in my soldering iron tip!! Luckily I had a spare.