Lack of Sales

Hi. I’ve had my Folksy shop for 6 months now and have not had any sales. Any advice on how I can improve my profile and generate some interest. I have updated all of my photographs and listings but still no interest. Please help! I’m a new small business but feel very down beat and I’m seriously thinking about giving up.

4 Likes

When I go to your shop and try to go to a listing, it won’t let me as it says the item is set to private.

1 Like

Not sure what you are seeing there? I can see all Julie’s listings just fine.

3 Likes

My initial and main thought is :slight_smile:
You have no social media links showing. In order to sell on Folksy you really do need to promote your shop to the big wide world out there and that means FB or IG or any other social media you fancy but if you don’t tell people you have a shop here then they are not likely to find you. :slight_smile: And that is a shame so if you do have some Social media then make sure you add the links to your shop :slight_smile:
If you search the forum for social media topics you will find that is the primary advice to get your sales moving so good luck. :slight_smile:
I know paw print ‘things’ are wanted. Just 5 minutes ago I popped a glass coaster one in my kiln for a commission.
I think title wise I would put the ‘paw print’ wording at the front of the title rather than personalised as i think that will bring them up earlier in the search and people are more likely to search paw first rather than personalised.

2 Likes

Puzzled me too. Was just going to say the same.

1 Like

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have any idea how I can change that so that it’s not set to private?

1 Like

Helen and I have no problem viewing your listings and there is nothing i know on Folksy which lets you set anything to private.
Just so you can be sure they are ok here are your lovely keyrings as viewed on my desktop.

PS I would add a Dog (and Cat if it applies) to the title and have personalised at the end not the start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s good advice. I’ll start editing now.

2 Likes

Two things I’d strongly advise. Update your tags. You have single word tags that are generic. So perhaps use tags like hanging wall plaque, pet hanging ornament, pet themed gifts, gifts for pet lovers. Folksy allow us to use quite a few letters so use them.

The other thing is your photos. I do feel that a white background for your creations will brighten them up and give more uplift to the images.

2 Likes

Now the listings are showing. I nearly took a screen shot but was out and about at the time. Not sure why it gave me that message before.

1 Like

There is a webinar later on this month about how to write descriptions that get found in the folksy search, I think you’ll find it useful. You can find all the details on the events tab of the plus account page (left hand side of your dashboard, under shop settings). The webinars are usually recorded so you can watch back later if you can watch it on the day.

4 Likes

I agree with Maddie @VioletFlameGlassArt , you need to update your tags. Ive only looked at some of your Cat Jobs hanging decorations. Tags like ‘gifts for cat lovers’ or ‘bathroom decor’ for you toilet paper sorter. I think Folksy are going to do a new blog on tags and how to be found in searches this month. The title is the most important thing so make sure the main thing comes first, such as hanging cat decoration.
You only have one photo of each and a couple are a bit blurry and could do with brightening up a little. Perhaps a photo including a cat and another for scale.
Im sure your lack of sales its just that potential customers are not finding you. There are a lot of pet lovers out there who would love your products.
I went 4months with out a sale and know how disheartening it can feel. Ive let my shop run down has items have expired , but intend to build it back up and take time to take better photos and descriptions and tags. Good luck

3 Likes

Thank you! That’s a lot to think about. I wish I’d asked for help before

3 Likes

Hi I am no expert as I seem to struggle to get online sales and mostly sell at markets but even that is poor at the moment!
One thing I would also add is your shop name/ description does not give any hint of your products. Just like the tags with individual products , I believe the Folksy search will also pick up on these and the more information with keywords the better.
I love your products as I love cats and dogs. I couldn’t work out the size of the plaque from the photo or description. I would add a photo from a distance too and maybe next to something for comparison.
It is a lot of work and like I say, I haven’t cracked it yet and still working on social media, photos and tags.

Good luck

1 Like

Some great items you have, I would personally use a lighter background to your Important Cat job section, plus you don’t have the size of the wooden board, only the thickness.

2 Likes

Fill in your ‘about’ section. People like to know a bit about who they are buying from when buying from sites like Folksy.

3 Likes

Thank you all so much for your advice. There’s a lot to do but it’s a work in progress. I’ve already done a very small mount of what needs to be done and have had my first sale!

13 Likes

Brilliant. So pleased for you xx

1 Like

Lots of great advice from fellow Folksy sellers - I can only add that it does take quite a time to learn the ropes of selling online so keep persevering and you’ll probably get there in the end.

Take a step back and have a good look at how your shop appears to the eye, for instance your laser etched signs do appear as a rather uniform block of grey on your shops front page so you need to add a touch of colour to your photos to make them more appealing (take a look at how other shops present similar items to get some presentation inspiration). Check out all the Folksy guides - you have good ideas and products it’s just the promotion and presentation that needs a bit of tweaking. Congratulations on your first sale and ‘Good Luck’.

2 Likes

Congratulations :clap: