Mum's Sherry Trifle

Some of you know I sadly lost my Mum this February. She’d battled cancer and was in remission but unfortunately her kidneys failed and within hours of her being taken to hospital she died.

In the past few weeks we have been back and forth to her home, sorting out things with lots of trips to charity shops.

The last time we visited there I was sorting through her pantry and found a nearly full bottle of sherry, my Mum’s favourite tipple. I wondered what to do with it and then thought why not bring it home and over Easter make a trifle just like Mum used to make with the addition of her sherry. I have this morning just finished whipping the cream and toasting almonds for the decoration.

We will sit this afternoon and raise our spoons to my Mum and her sherry trifle recipe…

7 Likes

Now that is a brilliant idea.

I also have a way of remembering my Mum.
She never got to travel as much as she would have liked as she was in her 60s before I, the youngest, left home for university and then just as she got the opportunity and the travel bug, arthritis got her.

She was always very appreciative of my own travels and said I was very lucky. :slight_smile:
Now wherever I go she comes with me, in the form of her engagement ring.
I wave her at lovely places sometimes and ask is she likes it there. I know she does.

3 Likes

What a lovely idea, enjoy your trifle and your memories :slight_smile:

I’ve been thinking about my Mum a lot today to, like Joy I have different ways to remember my Mum :smile:

2 Likes

This topic touched a nerve for me. My Mum died eight years ago - it would have been her birthday tomorrow - she would have been 96 yrs. I used to get annoyed when I was told by my kids that ‘I was getting more like their Gran everyday’ - now I feel proud that I am getting like her - she was a great Mum.

4 Likes

When My mum went into a home as had dementia we found 2 bottles of sherry too in her cupboard but she didnt drink. She would get a bottle in for new year incase she had a visitor. I used it to put in my chocolate truffles. I have also used it for cooking . I used it once instead of brandy in a sauce and it was fine

2 Likes

Thank you for your comments, good to share sometimes.

@JOYSofGLASS - Joy, the thought of you waving your Mum at the view made me smile.
The last time we were at my Mum’s house I just happened to be moving a tiny vase in her kitchen when it made a rattle. Looked inside and discovered all her rings, would never have known they were there if they hadn’t made a noise and the charity shop would have had a good find. So now where ever we travel I too will be showing Mum the view :smile:

@sewflair - Maureen, I heard the same comment from distant relatives at my Mum’s funeral, commenting on how much I reminded them of Mum. On previous occasions when this has been said, I think, surely not, but on that day the thought didn’t seem so bad :cry:

And just to report - the trifle is delicious :smile:

1 Like

So lovely how you remember your Mums. xx

Glad you’re enjoying your trifle :smiley:

Lovely story!
Sherry is nice in savoury sauces, instead of wine. :smiley:

It’s a good way of remembering. Glad it was lovely!