My workshop resident

Thanks James they are adorable, fiercely loyal except at the cattery, they love surrogate mum too, always a relief. They growl at strangers at the door, especially hawkers and Jehovahs Witnesses, showing excellent taste. As house moggies they only kill insects, little moths or daddy long legs keep them occupied for hours.

That is a beautiful boy you have there, with great restraint, not know a cat to resist the kill! He looks very happy and healthy.

My migraines are the pain without the lights, needle in the back of my eyeball time and praying to pass out before I throw up. I bet the lights are stunning, I imagine them as like looks at stained glass during a lightning storm

1 Like

I have heard the migraine headaches are severe and you have my sympathy,I know what is going on with the light show and have to let it subside,can’t do anything as with the play of colour I would think I was setting Opal all the time,short lived though15-30 minutes
Do you think I could teach Jonesy to growl at the holy joes ?

I have some false widows that live inside my compost bin. They seem to like to eat woodlice and have never showed me any aggression so I think on balance they are a useful addition to my garden! Not many spiders can tackle a woodlouse because it has a much harder carapace (being a crustacean and not an insect). The British native that can do so (because it has long fangs) is the cave spider, but it is far too big to live in my compost bin.

Sam x

Hello Sam,where you been? Charlotte guzzles other spiders like smarties,she is getting rather fat on them,interesting to see how big she will get. They would rather run than bite.

1 Like

Careful, getting big could mean babies on the way!!

I never trained them on the growling, bit of a shock the first time but they do show excellent taste, sorry can’t give any tips.

Oh well,just have to go ahead with the trap door wired to the door bell and the 200 baby Charlottes in the pit below.

1 Like

This is why I’m glad I live up in Scotland. Spiders give me the heebie-jeebies and are relocated if they’re over a certain size or come down to my level. They’re always warned to “stay up there or you’ll be evicted”. Hubby now knows by the pitch and tone of the squeal what size glass he needs to use to catch them in…

I spoke too soon. Apparently these creatures ARE here, in central Scotland…I’m officially hyperventilating.

Charlotte has gone skinny so probably another 200 on the way,but the Blue Tits,Wolf and Woodlouse spiders will account for around 190 so no panic.

I just threw up a little in my mouth… I appreciate the work they do and how essential they are to the eco system, but…nope. Gimme a snake, any day.

2 Likes

Ha,snake,now you’re talking.Ours are docile,they look at you like “would you mind awfully not treading on me old boy,I am feeling rather too fagged to bite”.

I put up with migraines for years as for some reason I didn’t think they were something I should bother a GP about. But when I did finally go to the doctor I was prescribed Naramig tablets, which I found excellent, in fact just half one seemed to work for me.

1 Like

Pet snakes? My only snake encounter was a wild adder here in Scotland. My brother came close to sitting on him or her in the heather. He/she retreated rather quickly and very gracefully. Been fascinated since (I think I was about 8).

1 Like

Yes I found they work for me too- fantastic relief after years of being told to take a paracetamol.

Hi I never knew they were, friend of mine pointed it out to me. I have sumatriptan, which works fine as long as I spot the early warning signs. I had got to the stage of co-codomol before I went to the doc, so glad I did. Might as about those on my next review.

I used to encounter a big female,about 3 feet long and about as thick as a black sausage,big for an Adder,she was incredibley tame, I think she may have put up with being handled but that’s a chance you don’t want to take.

1 Like

Hi again! I’ve been busy so not on the Forum for a while. I’ve picked up grass snakes before without getting bitten. The thing is to keep them straight so they can’t strike, but usually they are very calm. I had to rescue one as he/she was basking in the middle of a busy road while I was on the school run. I stopped the traffic, collected the snake and allowed it to slide through the hedge. Adders are like false widows. Only dangerous if you have an allergy, so I would consider rescuing one, but might make sure I had my leather gloves on!

Sam x

1 Like

They are very fast when they do strike,I watched one hunt,but other than that just how you provoke them to bite I don’t know,they put up with a lot.

1 Like

The Grass snakes smell well when you first grab them,my cat would be right proud if he could manage one that smelled like that.

1 Like

The one that I collected didn’t smell. I have always assumed it was a pale coloured grass snake, but that might be wrong. My first thought was that it was a (very rare) smooth snake. But they are not supposed to be found outside of a few heaths in Dorset…If so it was worth rescuing from the traffic.

Sam x