New shop - Feedback welcome

Thank you I’m certainly no girly girl😉

I cant help as I have been online selling cards for months and not sold one yet. Thinking of letting it go and relying on the occasional craft fair.

I’m so sorry to hear that maybe you could ask other people for feedback on your shop to see if there’s anything you can tweak to help sales?

I think I have decided to let the cards run their natural course and then delete the account. Thank you though…for your help.
I feel disappointed.
I even reduced the prices recently but no go.
Do hope you continue to make and sell and bye for now.

There will always be a market for your cards,you have done some great artwork there and rather than reduce the price you should market them to your original prices,they are worth more than you are now selling them for…if you use this Folksy account as an extra gallery to sell your work,I am sure you will find the market opens up for you at the right time,as it is for all shops…For me I have a few local outlets to sell my art and products and so folksy is another window in the world to me. You should ask around,for yourself, to find other markets to sell your growing works of art…Everything takes time to become established…not everyone sells here,even if you offer inspiration to others,you are on a winning life streak, at this time,but always have trust in yourself and allow change to happen for you…tj

@brambler It’s a shame you’ll be leaving, there’s definitely more you could do with your listings that would hopefully increase sales.

For example, your “Bunanarama” card doesn’t say it’s a card anywhere in the title, description or tags! It also doesn’t use the word rabbit anywhere, so if someone is searching for a “rabbit card” or “bunny easter card” your item is never going to show up in their search results. It might be the perfect card for them, but no matter how cheap it is, if they can’t find it, they can’t buy it.

1 Like

Such kind words from you… thank you for your support…I do like to keep my work online as it shows people what I do in one place…and I agree about pricing. I thought by reducing the prices people might look and be more inclined to buy.
I am not overly confident but enjoy what I do. I should try harder.
I do appreciate you taking the time to reassure me though. Much appreciated. Thank you again… I will give much thought to what you say and take a decision on renewal date.

1 Like

Thank you for your response and comments I am not savvy enough about tags etc. and did not realise how much they are needed…thank you so much.

I’m so pleased someone else mentioned about tags, as I was going to mention that to you in addition to asking if you were doing any online marketing to bring people to your folksy page. By online marketing I mean posting regularly to Instagram and Facebook about what you have in your folksy shop. Instagram marketing posts should have relevant hashtags so for example # handmadecards

thanks for your mail and you are welcome…encouragement and support for everyone is always a first principle for me ,and hopefully you will fill your shop with even more creative designs…at the right price for you…take care tj…

Don’t give up too soon @brambler. I like your work. Art can and does sell on Folksy. The key for me was to treat my Folksy shop as if it were my own website (except it’s much cheaper than if it were my own site). How do you drive people to it?
Regular participation in the forums will increase your exposure within Folksy itself. The daily listing challenge can generate a lot of likes for items that can move them up the search results, as will the correct use of tags.
I get a lot of views and even the odd sale through Google search. SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is key to this. I couldn’t even begin to explain it, but this might help:
https://blog.folksy.com/2018/07/03/seo-basics-designers-makers.
I get a lot of views and sales through social media, especially Instagram, which has a link to my Folksy shop. Selling online is much harder these days if you don’t use social media.
Make sure you have business cards with your Folksy shop details on it. I have got sales that way. Go to art and craft fairs and advertise yourself. Even if you don’t sell on the day, hand your cards out. I have got several enquiries and sales that way.
Selling online requires dedication, patience and flexibility. Until you exhaust all possibilities, keep at it.
Also look at other ways you can sell/publicise your work. I have my cards in a local shop and they do sell. My social media details are on the back of my cards, which in turn can (and quite possibly has) bought people into my Folksy shop.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Ultimately, the decision is yours.

@konyskiw is spot on. You really need to work on your titles and tags. You could reduce your prices to 5p if you want (I don’t recommend this at all!) but it won’t make any difference because your titles and tags need a lot of work.
Titles and tags are super important because these need to match what a customer would type in to a search bar to find your products. For a starter, loads of your products don’t have the word ‘card’ in the title or tags, so if a customer was looking to buy a card, and they typed ‘card’ in the search box, non of your products would come up!
Have a look on the Folksy blog, there is a lot of info about how to write titles and tags on there.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I accept your recommendations and I do use instagram for my work/life @sutreads but very rarely get any sales thru it except from friends I already know. I have just sold another card and posted it yippee. So everyone here has given me a boost. It is so nice to get help and support. Thank you again.Emoji

5 Likes

That’s great news that you’ve made a sale

When you write your titles and tags, think about what you would type into a search if you were looking for that item. Make sure that your multi word tags have spaces, otherwise they won’t be found either, for example your High Maintenance Ostrich card you have tags ‘ostrichcard’ and ‘birdsketchcard’ which won’t be found if someone searches for ostrich card or bird sketch.
A good piece of advise given by a fellow Folksy seller was to write the description as if you are describing it to a blind person, who can’t see your photos.
Congratulations on your sale, with a bit of tweaking there will be many more! I’m sure the Jingle Bells Moose and Chrismoose will be popular in the next month or so.

1 Like

@brambler Tags can take a bit of time to get the hang of because they seem to work a little differently on every site.

The way Folksy search works, if you have “rabbit card” and “easter bunny” in your tags, if someone searches “bunny card”, your item will show up, it just won’t be quite as high in the results as if you had the exact match of “bunny card” as a tag. Search will also look at the words in your titles and descriptions, so if you have an important word like “card” in all 3 places, it should place higher in the search results than if you just had “printed on card” written once in the description.

On Folksy you can use single or multiple word tags, but if it’s multiple word you need to put the spaces in, like @FluffStuffCrafts says. Think of the most important words you need to describe your items, things people might put into the search bar if they were looking for an item like yours, and make sure they’re all in the tags (then put the most important ones in the title too).

Folksy search doesn’t automatically lump the singular and plural together, so on a card with 3 rabbits, you might want the word “rabbit” and “rabbits” somewhere in your tags (but they can be part of multiple word tags, so you could have “rabbit card” and “illustrated rabbits”).

It’s easy to get a bit stuck trying to think of tags sometimes, so try to think of what it is (“greetings card”, “blank card”, “easter card”, “christmas card”), what the design is (“rabbit card”, “bunny drawing”, “80’s theme”, “pun humour”) and maybe who it’s for (“80’s child”, “eighties lover”).

I see you’ve already made some changes, so hopefully it’ll be the start of some more sales for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the cards and the pound refund …lovely cards and complete product packaging from you,I hope you now begin to do better…unfortunately there is not a review section on the page to complete otherwise I would add more…take care…tj

You’re very welcome and glad they reached you dry. I have also been getting helpful and positive responses on the forums which are making me think about what I can do to improve visibility. So to all of you who have been so supportive…a big big THANK YOU…you are such lovely people.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such helpful detail I appreciate it. Sue