Folksy Ltd

No visitors!

(Stevenbowlerdesigns) #1

Have no sales, have no visitors. Has the bottom fallen out of Folksy? I am lucky if one person views my shop in a couple of days, let alone buys anything. Is this a poor site for handmade furniture sales?

(Eileens Craft Studio) #2

have you been promoting your shop outside of Folksy?

(Peonyandthistle) #3

I pretty much have the same problem. Only on Folksy though - LOTS of sales in our shops on other sites so I really don’t know why our Folksy shop is so dead…

(Jacqueline Austen) #4

I have spoken to many non sellers and none of them have heard of Folksy before and are surprised it even exists! Maybe it is just that Folksy isn’t as well advertised as some other sites in general. Obviously, all my business cards promote it, as do I by word of mouth etc.

Oh - it is also the last week of holidays before most children go back to school, so perhaps many are away at the moment?

(Shirley Woosey) #5

Steven @stevenbowlerdesigns you have not left us a link to your shop, so you have not made it easy for us to visit your shop.
I would recommend putting a link to your Folksy shop on your Talk Folksy Profile.
Also if you sign out and then sign back into Talk Folksy a link to your shop will appear with a little shopping trolley next to your user name.

The name of the game is promotion, preferably outside of Folksy. You need to get your shop and your items out into the big wide internet world. Make sure of your Seach Engine Optimisation (SEOs) by using terms people will search for in your titles and descriptions.
Promote on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, Google +, Stumbleupon, Craftjuice, Craftori, to name a few.

Shirley x

(Christine Shephard) #6

I managed to find your shop by searching for it, but I’ve not heard of it before and it’s very unlikely anyone else will just happen upon it without knowing it’s there. Having a shop on here is like opening a real shop in a very small village with no through road - unless you advertise your whereabouts and give directions, you’re not going to get much traffic.

Promote yourself and your shop everywhere. You don’t have any links to Facebook or Twitter, so I assume you’re not making use of social networks. Who are you aiming your work at? You’ll need to reach your target market somehow, so find out how they shop and where they go to buy. Making and listing is just the start - learning how to sell is the hard bit.

I love your furniture, it’s right up my street, so I hope you do well.

(Jacqueline Austen) #7

Here is the link to Stevens Shop - hope things go well for you!

https://folksy.com/shops/stevenbowlerdesigns

Jacqueline x

(Margaret Jackson) #8

It’s a nice shop, I’ve never seen it before. Good luck!

(Eileens Craft Studio) #9

Lovely items in your shop, with great photo’s however you need to re visit your titles.

Think what words will someone type into a search bar to find a coat rack or table.

You need to get the important search words into your titles. If I was looking for a Table then table would be my first word.

Looking at your shop I didn’t know what your items where other than painted wood. I couldn’t see for instance that your table was in fact a table from the photo or the title when looking at your main page. It was only when I clicked on that item I discovered it was an amazing painted table.

You need to be more targeted with your titles. I should be able to see Table without wondering what piece of furniture is this painted item. I can see green, slated with a cup on it from the picture. The title I can read original rustic Sunflower… but it’s not a Sunflower.

Do you see what I mean?

Also your main/first photo should show the item as a whole so people can see what it is. Then use your other photo’s to show direction angles, sides, close ups. This one has the photo’s all the wrong way around I had no idea what this was also the title is so long and it’s not to the end I get to work out what it is. http://folksy.com/items/6494647-Peacock-Feather-Country-Cottage-Flowers-Rustic-Reclaimed-Wood-Coffee-Table

I just typed in Table into the search bar and your tables didn’t show up until page 4 and those that came up first had Table as their first or second word.

I hope this helps

(Shirley Woosey) #10

That’s some really good advice from Eileen. I couldn’t have put it better.
Titles are very important for both Google and Folksy searches.

Shirley x

(Lizzie Gillum, Bedfordshire, Uk ) #11

Hi Steven, I took a look at your shop - your items are very beautiful, quite unique, unusual.

But… I agree with the other comments. You need to have titles and photos that immediately show what each item is. I couldn’t tell what most of them were - if I saw some of the photos, I would think you were selling either pot-pourri (there’s a bowl of this on one table top), or lovely art photos of still-life arrangements. I would recommend having “Coffee Table” as the start of the table’s description, then the other descriptive wording; similarly, “Coat Hook”, “Mirror”, “Shelf” etc.

Make the first photo very obvious - don’t make potential customers have to work hard to decide what they are seeing - they won’t do it, they will just glance and if they can’t work it out quickly, they’ll go away. Do your products justice - they are so gorgeous; if you can get people to find them when they search (in Folksy and also on search engines, social media, pinterest etc), then they will probably sell themselves!

I would also add a comment about your descriptions. Make use of the first 140 or so characters to clearly say what you are offering. This is what appears on the short descriptions in search results on Google etc. The customer wants to see “Hand-crafted coffee table…” or similar - grab their interest, make them want to click on your item, rather than any other! Also, having the words they will search on at the start of your descriptions, should make them appear higher up in search results - always a good thing!

You are in a very competitive market - there is loads of “hand made” furniture out there (also hand painted old stuff that people have just slapped some chalk paint on and stencilled a design). You need to do your best to get the attention you need - your products are unusual and special; make others see this and you will sell them!

Good luck!

Oh, just a note: I tried an online search (search engine, not Folksy) for “hand made coffee table”, to see what came up. After the initial “sponsored shops” stuff, there were various listings from sellers of hand made furniture. All had clear descriptions and many were from fellow craftsmen - but there were many from mass-produced furniture sellers too. You have a lot of competition… Try some searches and see what comes up. My results also showed “related searches”, which could help you with your titles - maybe have slightly different wording in various listings, to make the most of your opportunities?
I really hope this helps!

Lizzie

(Kirsty Macdonald) #12

I love your work, Steven @stevenbowlerdesigns, the shape and design of the furniture as well as the decoration. I agree with many of the comments above and would just like to add a couple of ideas.

Regarding your photos - if you can make the first photo square, it doesn’t get cropped by the website on the search views. The other photos are fine in any shape because your customers will have clicked through to your listing by then.

Think about how customers see your shop listings - I always find it useful to follow the route they would take. Log out of your shop, start on the home page and search for the item you want to buy. Are the items I wanted showing up in my search? Which photos encourage me to click through? How many pages of items do I have to look through? Are there similar items being offered by other sellers?

For example, if I wanted a wall mirror (and I have been thinking that I’d like one, favouriting shop for future reference :smile:), I search “mirror” and I find that most of the first page is taken up with compact mirrors (I found one of yours on page 6 of 21). So I would refine my search to “wall mirror” and now I only have 2 pages (much easier to compare!) but yours doesn’t feature at all. However, I do find yours when I search “wood mirror” and “rustic mirror”. Personally, I would be more likely to search “wall mirror” than “rustic mirror” (I might not know I want rustic, but I do know that I have a space on the wall for a mirror :)). So from that I might decide that the title “Wall mirror, rustic” might perform better. So I would change the title, then I would repeat the searching process to see if it moves up in the searches.

I hope that helps - it’s ended up a bit long, sorry! :blush:

Good luck though - don’t give up!