Nuisance phone calls

Thanks Julia!

Julia @FireHorseTextiles, can you turn the blocker feature on and off. Not too sure what my patients would make of having to say who they are in advance but would be useful to be able to turn feature on in the evenings/weekends and holidays.

Hi Roz

We have ours permanently on, but Iā€™m sure you can turn it off, or have the answerphone function on and send calls straight to that. Looking at all the questions and answers on the site, I see that you need to have ā€˜caller IDā€™ for the features on this phone to work. We get that through BT for a small monthly charge.

You can also put in numbers that you want to come straight through.

1 Like

We had a call today asking if we had a pension plan, first one weā€™ve had of these.

Iā€™ve had the pension review one - I told him that the info he was after was filled somewhereā€¦ I kept spinning him along for 20 mins whilst I got on with the filing I actually needed to do for sound effects! When Iā€™d finished I said I couldnā€™t find it and he gave up on me and rang off. Please donā€™t tell them that I actually know exactly where the information is.
Sasha

4 Likes

Have to be careful with callers saying your broadband is not working well due to your slow computer.

My friendā€™s aunt was scammed by someone who nearly emptied her bank account, after getting remote access to her computer, and the lady victim was very intelligent and computer- literate, so shocked she fell for it.

They try to get you to phone the bank using your mobile to transfer a small payment for the ā€œadviceā€ whilst listening in for your password or searching for it on your computer. The aunt didnā€™t do internet banking, which probably helped, but they still tried to get her funds via listening for passwords. A few days earlier she had a bond mature, and Ā£42,000 in the same bank account, so was very lucky.

We have the BT 6500 and that does the same and may even think its a bit cheaper than the 8500.

Does anyone ever get phone calls from companies asking if they have made a will. Iā€™ve had a few asking me and when I tell them Iā€™m not interested they seem very surprised.

I have had 9 calls in the last two days from the same number. I donā€™t answer but they left an automated message.
Saying thereā€™s suspicious activity on my barclay card. (think I spelt that wrong)
No one at my address has.one.
I ended up ringing barclay cards fraud number to tell them whatā€™s been going on.
Silly thing is havenā€™t had a call since.

Hi Pauline

Wish Iā€™d heard of that one first!

Julia :smile:

The calls that cause me the most grief are the ones on my landline when I have just sat down, and picked up my knitting! What a nuisance they are.
suzzie x

1 Like

So far, Iā€™ve had one person gt very upset and start shouting at me, because ā€œIā€™d wasted his time when I had no intention of buying his insurance planā€. Hang on mate, you rang me!
I also had one person hang up on me when I told him heā€™d have to ask the landlord about double glazing (we own the house, but why let on?).
And my partner got so annoyed with a repeat caller from India that he picked up the phone and screamed at full volume. They stopped ringing after that.

1 Like

Weā€™ve had a few recently ringing from mobile phones which I tend to answer in case itā€™s someone who I know but I havenā€™t got their mobile number stored in the house phone, they all seem to be different people from the same call centre trying to tell me about the governments new green energy subsidy despite us telling them lots of times no we donā€™t want solar panels, yes weā€™ve got cavity wall insulation and loft insulation and our boiler is only a year old!!

yes i got one last week and now its sooo quiet, Its just a bt cordless phone with ā€œcall guardianā€ other makes do it too. All you need is caller display