Only one sale at craft fair!

I think the trouble is that lots of people go to craft fairs just to have a walk around and a cuppa and a piece of cake, I think the cake lady has to be the most profitable!

We have a very big craft event in our village this weekend, as I’m labourer again today and probably tomorrow, shifting the gunned up kitchen floor, I didn’t have time to go, although a friend said there were lots of stalls there but she didn’t buy anything.

Hoping to pop in tomorrow early just to whip around, but I know I’ll not come out empty handed< I love buying craft as much as making.

1 Like

My village has a couple of events a year but they don’t advetise outside so its the same customers each time. Not done one for a couple of years to give them and me a break,

Ha ha you are right. At every craft fair I’ve ever done the cake stall has been the busiest!

1 Like

I think it’s the cake stool and the chocolate tombola :grinning:
That are the ones everyone flocks too.

I skipped our local village fair today in favour of one up the road at the local NT property for the same reason Joy @JOYSofGLASS. As its the same people every year I’m sure they must get bored of seeing the same things! At least at NT properties visitors come from all over - some travel quite large distances so you always get a new audience even if the footfall is less. Had an enjoyable day and took about what I expected so pleased I made the decision.

Excellent. I had an NT one booked for the summer but then got my hand injured so couldn’t do it. Had a pretty reasonable day today 10 - 4 outside starting windy, calming down, bit of drizzle but didn’t need a coat. Took a little less than I hoped but had 2 Folksy sales while I was out (I had unusually a good mobile signal so removed a few things from sale on here as I sold them)
Now cream crackered and just working through what I’ve sold to see if my till agrees with what my paperwork tells me. :slight_smile:

Thought I would share with you the exciting :slight_smile: news about my gazebo (after a few worrying moments this morning when Bob suggested we would have to go home and I pointed out I’d spent most of yesterday getting ready, sob sob !)

Your new gazebo looks rather like my one, here it is in action, actual sand bags just out of shot…

(the lady next to me was selling hand felted vase covers so we ‘knocked through’ allowing people to walk from her to me and vise versa, it worked well)

1 Like

Looks great. There was quite a bit of cooperation / weight sharing yesterday. :slight_smile:

Kudos to those of you brave enough to have an outdoor stand- especially this last weekend!

I went to the ‘big’ craft event in our village - crumbs the poor crafters, hardly any advertising, I was the only punter (although I nipped in early) I asked one of the volunteers at the centre where it was held if the craft were open, and he said ‘Er crafts? yeah I think so, they’re in there.’

Saw the friends with stalls and they said it had been dire. It was advertised as a Winter Wonderland although I saw no spray snow, no Christmas tree, no baubles at all.

As predicted I didn’t leave empty handed!

You can never tell what is going to happen at Craft Fairs. The same has a happened to me but I sometimes put it down as to what else may be on. On one fair I used to do the customers got on a local train, so once they had paid for this they didn’t spend. Also if there is lots of children’s entertainment then the adults don’t spend.
I have just done one this weekend and it was my best ever but it was in a shopping area (Sheffield).
Don’t let it put you off, just be more selective about the ones you pick. I find I don’t do well at Stately homes but ones based in a shopping area do better.

Just spotted this thread… Started one on craft fair disasters over the Xmas period so we can have a giggle together. Interesting that one stall holder told me she’s been doing them for years and has watched a decline year on year. Sad but it’s a case of research and often spending a bit to get into the good ones…but not sure my blue peter style sticky back plastic craft display would stand up against the others that invest in proper stalls … Hmmmm that’s a whole other thread too!!