Opinions please on this vintage fabric quilt /throw

Hi all , this is a largish ( single bed) sized piece of ‘quilting’. However it does look rather good as a tablecloth/general throw.

I’m trying to decide if I should in fact quilt it or not?

Quilt it - it is already quite substancial and heavy enough to make a good cover for a bed so does it really NEED wadding?. Also this will ramp the price up way beyond £250 and limit it’s use to being just a quilt.

Just back it with a retro cotton - it could then be used to cover a chair/tablecloth/bed cover. I would also then be able to price it UNDER £200.

Your thoughts please :slight_smile:

, this is

1 Like

I’m not a quilter but just love it! I have inherited a hexagon patchwork semi-made quilt from my late Grandmothers stash and there is fabric dating from the 30’s which is as good as new! One of these days I’ll get around to finishing it! Mxx

If it’s already quite a thick material you could simply back it with no wadding. I’ve done that before just like the Indian Quilts where they have two layers and lots and lots of hand quilting in white quilting cotton.

1 Like

It’s gorgeous! It would look great as a throw.

be careful Maggie! hexagonal quilting is dangerously addictive …! this is one in my shop at the moment - my hexie ones are not cheap because they take a great deal of time but they are lovely to do.

yes I must admit I am leaning towards just backing it at the moment - I have another cut out and ready to piece together in greens and browns.

1 Like

It’s beautiful!

Quilting it would certainly make it extra-special. But I think just a simple backing would appeal to more customers as easier to care for.

that’s a good point about being easier to care for :slight_smile:

You could quilt it with a very simple pattern - do they call it ‘tie quilting’? - which wouldn’t be too much extra work for you, and would give you a ‘proper quilt’ which I personally would rather have. Don’t know if that would keep the cost as low as you’d like?

It’s beautiful, whatever you decide!!

Oh I just looked that up - I must give it a go ( another thing to add to my ‘try’ list ) , thanks for bringing that to my attention :smile . I do prefer hand quilting - expecially in winter as you can be nice and warm whilst you stitch !

This main reason I thought about just backing it ,without wadding, with ‘in the ditch’ stitching was that it looked so nice on my table when I took that photo … but there’s no doubt that it would make a spectacular quilt. I’m just thinking that without wadding it’s a bit more muiltfuctional.

It’s really lovely. it’d make a very striking wall hanging. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes I think so too - another point in favour of a simple backing rather than wadding/quilt approach I think.

You can still quilt the two layers together. This also ensures the two materials stay together and you can quilt with a contrasting colour to make the pattern stand out. Just like the Indian Quilts mentioned in my previous post. You don’t need the wadding layer to quilt.

1 Like

It’s beautiful Dawn @WittyDawn

Like Eileen @EileensCraftStudio says you don’t need wadding to quilt.
As Margaret @Louisa15 and Lowri @twinkleandgloomart it would make a great throw or wall hanging and you could still quilt it the way Eileen says with contrasting colour. For it to make a wall hanging that size it would be better if the layers are held together in some way.

It really is very striking!

Shirley x

definately intending to baste/quilt it together otherwise on something that size it would bag/crease and not look so good at all . The main question mark was over the wadding aspect, and with all the useful feedback I think I’ve decided now to quilt without it now . I may just do ‘in the ditch’ machine stitching on the seams and then do some additional hand quilting on certain patterns. I want it ready for a fair on Nov 19th and I also want to make some smaller ones and make several dresses - people locally keep asking me for dresses in particular!

I think I’ll get as far as machine quilting - take it to the fair, and if it doesn’t sell as is continue to add hand quilting detail until it does sell!

Thanks for your input everyone!

1 Like