Paypal Account Problems

So annoyed with myself!

I have my business Paypal account, and a few months ago they send a notice that I had to verify my business by sending proof of ID. Well, time flew by, and now my account is limited :frowning: I can;t receive payments if I sell anything, or send payments if I want to buy anything.

I thought the sending ID would be simpleā€¦but there are 5 types they need! I can do 3 of them, but am stuck on the following:

1. Proof Business Registrations - This helps us ensure that your business is licensed or registered in your industry. This isnā€™t a request related to the existence of your business. Acceptable forms of this document include broker-dealer, remittance or escrow licences.

What does that mean???

1. Membership Information - Please provide proof of professional licences or trade memberships for your industry.

Iā€™m a sole trader artist - I donā€™t have any of this stuff :frowning:

I thought I was doing right by setting the Paypal account up as a business one, but I should have stuck to the simpler one!

I do have a second Paypal account, but thatā€™s being used by my second Folksy shop. Iā€™ve had to ask permission to use a Paypal account I run for a small fundraising group just so that I can accept payments when I make sales.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! If I had been organised and sorted this earlier I would have been able to contact Paypal and ask about it before the account got grounded :frowning:

Oh dear, not good! No idea what either of those things mean. Hope you get it sorted very soon.

I should just try and ring them up and speak to them, I certainly didnā€™t have to provide anything so complicated.
You can use the same paypal account for 2 different shops, could you use the other one temporarily or do you really need to keep it separate for the fundraising?

Bummer - just realised that yes, itā€™s the same Paypal for both shops, just a different email needed for setting up the shop - but that does mean I can use my personal Paypal account temporarily instead of the fundraising one :smile:

Itā€™s a Premier Account Iā€™ve got, my other is a basic personal one, and Iā€™ve never had to do any of this ID stuff with that account.

This is the message I have on my account at the moment: Youā€™ll need to provide updated information to continue to use your PayPal account. Your account will be restricted until we receive this information. This means you canā€™t send, transfer or receive funds.

I havenā€™t had to provide anything for mine yet, but maybe theyā€™re still playing catch up and I will have to soon. I switched to the business one because you canā€™t send invoices from a personal one, so would like to keep it. Iā€™d call them and find out what your options are and why you have to provide all this extra proof - maybe they will accept the ID you can provide.

Well, I didnā€™t need to contact them as first thing the morning I got a message saying my account was now all clear :smiley: Must have had enough ID to be okā€™d :smiley:

Now Iā€™ve got to remember to change my Paypal address in my shops againā€¦

I only have a personal paypal account and can send invoices no problem - I just click on the request money tab.

What are the benefits of going for a business account?

Does it actually produce an invoice or just a request for payment? When I started I was using a personal account but was advised that anyone actually running a business had to have a business account, and I wasnā€™t able to produce invoices from my personal account, so I switched. But itā€™s more expensive and Iā€™m wondering now why I bothered.

I get 2 options - ā€œrequest moneyā€ and ā€œcreate an invoiceā€

I always use the latter.

[Stephanie Guy Fine Art][1]
[1]: http://stephanieguy.folksy.com

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/confirm-your-business

You should be able to contact them to get some clarification on the documentation. If your business is that of a sole trader you wonā€™t have a Reg No from Companies House but you may have a bank account in that name or some other ID related to that business.

Do HMRC give you any proof when you register as a Sole Trader with them?
https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

Anyone registered with HMRC as a Sole Trader or needing to complete a Tax Return will receive a UTR number from them.
UTR means Unique Tax Reference.
Not everyone in business is registered for VAT and only Limited companies will have a number from Companies House.
So the UTR number should be sufficient to prove that you have a business which is registered with the relevant authorities.

You can find your UTR by looking on a copy of your latest Tax Return ( on the front page, top left hand corner) or on correspondence from HMRC. It is all numbers and should be 10 digits long.

I should add that not everyone with a UTR number is necessarily running a business or a partner in a business.
Some people just have complicated Tax affairs and so need to complete a Tax Return.

Shirley x

1 Like

@technogoggles No, not really, you get a number which they use instead of your NI number but I donā€™t think it means anything to anyone except them. I think Iā€™d be hard pressed to ā€˜proveā€™ I was in business other than directing people to my online shops and saying ā€˜honest, thatā€™s meā€™. I have enough difficulty convincing my mum anyway, when I showed her my flowers featured in a national wedding magazine she thought I had copied the idea from the person in the magazine sigh :wink:

Edit: UTR, thatā€™s the number I meant. But itā€™s not really proof that youā€™re in business, is it?

@StephanieGuy It used to be that Paypalā€™s t&cs stated you should have either a premier or a business account if you were trading rather than just a personal one. And there was a limit on how many times you could accept credit/debit card payments through paypal with just a personal account. I assume itā€™s still the same but itā€™s a long time since I had to look into all this.

I actually have a Premier account, not a business one. I upgraded from personal to premier because I wanted my customers to be able to pay by debit/credit card as well as by paypal account, and the premier account allows for that, whereas the personal account doesnā€™t. There doesnā€™t seem to be much benefit to upgrading to business, so Iā€™ll stick with my premier account - hopefully I wonā€™t need to provide all that ID stuff then.

Hereā€™s a link to their guide to the differences between the account types:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/pop/choosing_account_type_signup-outside

There will come a point when you need to provide some ID stuff, itā€™s to do with how much you take in a year and money laundering rules.

Not likely to be a problem for me in the immediate futureā€¦sales are not exactly booming!! :smiley:

1 Like

I have no idea - I think you can get monthly statements that are easier for your accounts or something? I just thought that as I do this full time Iā€™d better get the business one LOL

That makes me feel rich LOL! I guess by the time you add the postage you receive it mounts up. Iā€™m not quite rolling in it yet though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I had to provide some other details a while ago - something to do with money laundering, but it wasnā€™t too difficult.

I too have a personal account on Paypal and havenā€™t had a problem sending invoices to people.

I think when you have a personal account you canā€™d add things like your logo, from memoryā€¦but thatā€™s probably the only difference for invoices.

I like the monthly statements - they are handy to have,