Photographs - taking them is driving me nuts!

I’m struggling taking photos of my items. I live in a small 2up 2down, and I struggle to get enough room with sufficient lighting. I’ve used the greaseproof paper and silver-foil suggestions for both background and illumination, and my images are still coming out quite dark even with manipulating in Photoshop. I’ve tried outdoors but again I’m limited where I can place my items and as they are fabric I don’t want them getting dirty!

Any suggestions? This is my latest creation and the pics just don’t show her off.
http://folksy.com/items/6365841-Olivia-the-duck-free-standing-decorative-bird-textile-sculpture

1 Like

What photoshop are you using?

4 Likes

Photoshop elements 10 - cor that looks so much better than my attempts to balance it all!!! :slight_smile:

I only have Elements 6 so hopefully it will be the same:

To remove colourcast:

Enhance->Adjust colour-> Remove colourcast Click the eye dropper on a place that is neutral in colour white-grey-black You can click on few places and try it out, some will warm the image up.

To lighten the image:

Enhance->Adjust Lighting -> Levels Move those little triangles at the bottom. I have used the middle one (midtones) towards the black

To brighten the image:

Enhance -> Adjust lighting -> Brightness/contrast

You have to learn about the software. then your photos will be like from a pro :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, I will have a go. I’ve spent some time adjusting from the original but it still looked dirty and I was losing the will to live LOL, so thank you and I will have a play about.

No problem, you’re welcome.

1 Like

Olivia the duck is totally GORGEOUS! And beautifully made too.

1 Like

Thanks Kate x

Morning @BigBirdLittleBird
You might want to consider using a light box and lights you will not then have to depend on natural light. Take a look at www.stevesphotoshop.co.uk and you want to look at the florescent studio kits and cubes it depends on the size of your products. The cubes he sells are good value but take a look on e bay or similar for florescent lights you can get these quite cheaply.
The pictures on his site are helpful as they show where to put lights.

Hazel

1 Like

Thanks Hazel I will take a look. :smile:

Just a thought white items on a white background never really stand out that well.

Even with the photoshopped second version it’s still doesn’t ‘pop’ better yes but still doesn’t really stand out.

I hate taking photo’s of white items. They’ll always look ‘washed out’ no matter how much you play with the image.

Have you thought of trying a different colour background for a white item. Then the white item will really stand out.