Pottery Flax Paper Clay glaze help please

Could I have some advice please. Seen some rather nice Botz Liquid glaze I would like to surprise my potting daughter with for Christmas but she said she is not using stoneware at the moment but Flax paper clay.
Does that affect the type of glaze she can use… can’t find anything to say either way on the glaze or clay supplier sites.

Hi Joy,
I think she is using a porcelain body which fires 1280°C. Check your Botz glaze is a stoneware/High firing (Not Earthenware) Should be fine.
x

Thank you. It’s so annoying that they detail the firing range on some glazes but not on others. I will phone the shop I think and check they are high fire.
Xx

1 Like

To be on the safe side, if you could find out what temperature she fires to, then match that to the firing range of the glaze. Many glaze manufacturers don’t actually put the temperature on the glaze container, but use a ‘cone’ range of temperature measurement which adds the difficulty. However most ceramics suppliers are very helpful and so phoning them and telling them which clay she uses might solve the problem without spoiling the surprise!

1 Like

Thanks Judy. I’ve bought a couple in the past she has liked but she mentioned she was using the Flax at the moment so it threw me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So you can get different flax paper clays - they all have different firing temps just like normal clay. If you’ve seen a stoneware botz glaze you like, they do a temperature reducer? They also do a pro range which fires between earthenware and porcelain temperatures, so basically across the whole range.
Botz’s website is great if you want to know what the firing temperatures are - download their latest glaze brochure and it splits all the colours into temps :slight_smile:

Clara thank you I saw that pro range and wondered if it might solve problem of not knowing what she fires at and not wanting to ask. I will ask after Xmas for the future :grin:

1 Like

Clara just been for a browse. That Pro range looks exactly what i need so all i have to do now is choose 2 or 3 colours :slight_smile:
“The sensational thing about this brush on glaze range is that it will fire to both stoneware and earthenware glaze temperatures making it perfect for every potter and especially anyone new to pottery.”
Thank you… this forum is such a handy spot when you want answers like these. Someone always knows :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it helps at all, they are really easy to use - I used them recently for a commission and this is the Pearl Pink, Aquamarine and the grey.

Lovely. I’ve ordered the aquamarine and a teal sort of shade and pale green. . I saw the glaze in someone’s FB post and asked the maker what it was as it looked so super shiny.

1 Like