Product Liability Insurance Prices

Hi all,

I am just researching product liability insurance and have been quoted between £60-£90. I sell jewellery and macrame and just wondered if these quotes are standard prices for craft insurance?

Thanks

I get my PPL insurance included in the cost of my A-N membership and it is also included in certain levels of membership of the Guild of Jewellery Designers. It might be worth checking those out to see if they offer any other additional benefits that you might use to you (GoJD has discounts with some suppliers) as those memberships cost about the same as the prices you’ve been quoted.

1 Like

I also get mine from A-N much cheaper and very good to deal with.

Mine is through CMTIA and about £60 for the year.

I’m with A-N as well best deal I could find when I started looking.

@knotsandtreasures just to check are you talking about Public Liability Insurance (i.e needed to trade at fairs) or Product Liability Insurance?

A-N is £38 pa for up to 5m product and public liability

As other people suggest, have a look at groups as membership to certain ones can include it and be cheaper than insurers will quote, just try to have a search for one that fits what you do.

I use A-N too, but they have a list of criteria you have to meet to join and be covered (because their insurance is tailored to certain kinds of work), so it’s best to check if it suits you. I know I’ve seen people mention another more craft based membership including it for a similar price too, but I can’t remember what it was now.

I think the price begins to rise when you need to add that you’re selling to the USA, I’ve found most only offer the insurance for UK sales. Craft Cover and Ian Wallace both offer this, with Craft Cover usually being a tad cheaper.

1 Like

A-N allow selling to the US, you have to state in your T & C’s that sold under English law only. This came from Hencilla Haworth who are the insurers for A-N as that way you have stated that any problems they have to sue you in this countries law courts not the US. Got the letter from HH somewhere.

3 Likes

that’s great to know, thank you, will bookmark them for when I need to renew.

@SulikoSoul I suppose I’m looking for something that covers both, as hopefully when we slowly get back to normal I’ll be able to sell at craft fairs.

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I’ll definitely look in to A-N and Guild of Jewellery Designers.

Hi Caroline, I’ve just seen this comments about product liability, do you sell to the USA / Canada now? It’s such a minefield isn’t it?

Yes still with A-N but stopped selling to the US etc when all the problems with the postal strikes. Never restarted.

Insuring any type of Liability in USA / Canada has always been hugely expensive compared with UK costs (simply because they’re so litigious as a society and everything law related costs so much there).

I’d love to know what claims have ever been raised with / paid by any UK insurer for a micro or small business like ours. I sell to the US more than to the UK and have always chosen not to buy public or product liability insurance because I don’t see the risk. I totally accept that if you’re selling in person in a territory and / or an event organiser or customer requires it, I would certainly need to buy it, but what’s the exposure if I’m selling remotely and have no assets in the US?

1 Like

thanks for your reply Caroline

1 Like

thanks for your comment Debbie

I have been put off selling to the US and Canada due to the price of product liability insurance. I’d be too worried not to have it, I’m very much a belt and braces kind of person. I also don’t qualify anymore for A-N insurance because i haven’t exhibited in a long time. My insurance with them was void because I don’t meet the criteria, which are pretty archaic and aimed at people with art degrees, still in a gallery system, getting grants and bursaries.
I can’t remember offhand who I’m insured with now but it is a clause that you are not allowed to sell to the US or Canada or the policy will be void. It’s a shame because it is a big marketplace. It may something I look into again if I start to do better. I know when I was getting quotes some insurers wanted to know how much stuff you’d be selling abroad and how can you even guess.

This is where people get the two mixed up.Jan