Product photography crits - put your product shots up for review!

Thanks for that! I was thinking maybe if I select the fabrics that I actually used, a pair of scissors, threads, embroidery hoop etc and propped these next to the sewing machine (so no picture in the shot), would that work? It would use up a photo slot on nothing that shows the picture itself, but might be a nice way of ‘telling the story’ of what’s involved in a textile picture?

1 Like

I wish my quilts were that small!
:wink:

1 Like

That’s a good close up picture! You might laugh at this, but how about getting a bit of sand, and laying the shell on top of that? Just adds to the overall effect and maybe try one or two pics at an angle. But having said that, it’s a great close up (not that I’m an expert but I do know what I like!!).

1 Like

The shell is a great idea but I think it swamps the earrings - I saw the shell first and then a second or two later saw the earrings. Since people don’t hang around for long you really want them to notice the thing you are selling instantly.

1 Like

I love the shell but it overpowers the earrings in my opinion… Maybe a bit closer, so you still have the texture but without that brown around? these earrings are so delicate <3

1 Like

Thanks Heidi @Textiletreasure, because I wasn’t happy with the whole product shots, I used a head one that I was happy with.

Thanks Camilla @Folksycontent. I’m not able to get a more interesting background as all our walls are plain cream, no weathering or rustic look of any kind. I shall have to have a think about something like a plant for indoors that I can use to give a sense of scale. We’ve got a monopod rather than a tripod but I can’t get on with it - both the camera and pod are my husband’s. He’s fiddled about with the settings on the camera too so the shots come out darker and I balance as best I can without over exposing in Photoshop. But yes, I’m not happy with them, they could be better so I’m going to have to have a good think and put a plan in action.

Quilts are notoriously tricky to photography @stitchingarainbow. I think Lisa Watson does it well because she puts each one in a context, so you get a sense of scale but her images look homely and you can imagine how the quilt will look in your own house.

I also like the way Jennifer from Vintage and Floral has photographed her quilts - her shots are simple and contemporary, like her quilts.

@BigBirdLittleBird - I saw someone admit recently (either Twitter or FB, can’t remember who sorry except that I did really like her shots) that she’d covered a big piece of card in a wallpaper, and used this as a background. That seemed to work really well so might be worth a try. I might try that for some of mine, as the cream background is in danger if being considered bland (by all accounts! Although I love cream walls….) :smile:

1 Like

I am trying to make a spot in my house to get photographs in similar style as Jennifer’s.
Do you think @Folksycontent it is important the main photo should show the whole quilt? or close up is better? or something like mine main photo is fine? I get equal amount of voices for each option…
this is mine main: https://images.folksy.com/aXRlbXMvNTMyMDYyLzIwMTUwMzIzLzE0NDUxMTE4MDY5Mg-Q-Q-N/main
TX xx

Ooh that’s a good idea Heidi @Textiletreasure!

1 Like

Thanks all! Some food for thought there. Like you all I am struggling to get a sense of scale in my shots. I don’t want to go too close in or I will lose the sense of how small they are and I also want to be able to show this without having a hackneyed shot of a coin in the picture or my gnarly old hand with the bit I accidentally filed with the needle file earlier that day!

Love Sam x

1 Like

I find the plant in the background too fussy and distracting. Could you do a shot of it hanging in a kid’s room instead?

I personally love this picture, it looks so jolly and adventurous :slight_smile: And the dark green really accentuates the brightness of the balloon colours - I do love bright colours :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is possible to mock up a fake section if brick work I discovered whilst making stage props many years ago. I marked out a brick pattern on a piece of mdf with thin masking tape, roughly smeared a layer of coarse plaster over it and then peeled the tape off leaving a brick pattern. Once dry it was painted et voila a section of fake brickwork. The card with wallpaper option is probably easier to store.

1 Like

Not always easy to find a suitable spot and furniture etc that would show off a large item like a quilt. My house is desperately in need of redecoration and most of the furnishings are falling apart - I would be ashamed to use them in a photo! Likewise the garden!

1 Like

Another great idea! Thank you :smile:

What about a local park bench? Or even a small tree - draped over the lower branches? I’ve seen some displayed like that and thought they looked lovely!

So true, I spent 2 hours trying to get the perfect shot of 1 piece which I guess is a bit excessive but by doing that I learnt so much & I’m really proud of the photo

2 Likes

My kids are all grown up now and left home.