Product photography crits - put your product shots up for review!

It’s lovely x

1 Like

I always believe that you need to show the item itself as the first photo. I think there is less room for doubt if the first picture is exactly what you’re selling, Subsequent photos can be staged but in my opinion, there should be a disclaimer on the picture that it is at extra cost.

I have heard many complaints from sellers that customers don’t realise the frame or mount is not included in their sale. I think it could be come quite difficult to go through that kind of situation more than once.

Just my opinion…

It is a tricky one Leslie and had mixed opinions it seems @Folksycontent Camilla says keep the frame - to be honest I have some with frames as the main picture and some without - for me it depends on the picture, some really are enhanced by showing in a frame I feel :slight_smile:

I do have it clearly stated that frames and in other cases easels and other props are not included. I’ve not had a problem yet but will be careful on this thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you xx

love this as it is:)

1 Like

Huuuh this might be something super cool, but from the picture I cannot guess what is it. Have got no idea, maybe make a picture suggesting how to use it, or what is it:)

I struggle with this vintage button bib. Tried many many different pic preps but still not sure about it

Can you show it round a neck? Glancing at the pic (which is what most buyers do to begin with) I wouldn’t have guessed that it was a necklace. I’d also like to see how it hangs.

1 Like

I prefer your forth picture best myself :slight_smile: as @StephanieGuy says people tend to just glance at a picture and in my opinion it looks more like a necklace in the last shot. Hope that helps Oris :slight_smile:

When I first glanced at the photo I thought that the shells were part of it. I think it would look better around someone’s neck to give a sense of scale and how it would sit (ie does it gently curve to the body or is it more rigid) (one of your necklaces photographed around someone’s neck recently made it onto the front page so that works for you). On some of the other photos you have with the listing the buttons aren’t in focus but the chain is I’d have thought it would be more important to have the buttons in focus than the chain. Also make sure that your back drop is completely smooth there are some distracting creases in some of the photos (I use a piece of card so I don’t have to keep ironing a piece of fabric).

1 Like

Hello all
Iv just listed this bracelet not sure about the pictures
https://folksy.com/items/6635020-bunny-button-charm-bracelet-

Sasha that is super helpful:) Did I made to the front page? Woooowww, there is a tiny success for me too then:D I will model myself then and take new pictures. Oups yes sometimes is still hapenning with me not to focus on the main thing but silly details

When I look at the front page at this very moment in time it’s there (flower beadwork necklace) - you should be able to find it in the folksy favourites list as well.
I find it much easier to take pictures of my work on other people’s necks (normally my sister) - its easier to remove stray bits of hair and get them to twist round a bit more to get the best light. Do you have a friend who could be bribed to be a model for a day and do all of them in one session?

1 Like

They look a bit over exposed to me and in slightly soft focus. Could you put a diffuser (light weight piece of white fabric) over the light source/ window and then use a reflector (piece of white card or tin foil) to bounce light back onto the piece. In some of the back grounds you can see the join between the base and back drop and they aren’t quite the same colour - using a curved piece of card would solve that (fabric isn’t ideal because of the texture and a tendancy to crumple). Photographing silver is a bit of nightmare isn’t it.

Thought it might be useful for you to see the set up I use and the difference it makes so here is the set up made from an old box, piece of white card and some silver wrapping paper
And the photo with the reflectors
and without
hope that is helpful

2 Likes

Iv been do all the photos on with card but in one was fabric and it doesn’t look right.
Think I’ll definitely have another go at these.
Never would of thought of the foil idea.
Tell me about I’m finding silver so hard to takeep photos of.
Sometimes it looks dull some time you get glare others it reflects the light. Very annoying

That’s a really good idea thankyou

I’m keen to know if people think that this kind of picture works - I have yet to sell any though a website but lots through markets and just wondering if the photography isn’t right?

This shot looks like you might just be selling a set of beads not a necklace and you are loosing the grey bead into the back ground. I think this might be one of those necklaces that looks better on a neck (gives a sense of scale and makes it obvious that its a necklace). Do you have a friend you could borrow/ bribe for a day of modelling? Some of your other photos are very dark (see my previous reply to someone with a shot of my set up with homemade reflectors or you can brighten them in picasa or similar).
Sasha

thank you SashaGarrett - I really appreciate your thoughts and have constantly thought of putting the beads on someone! Time to get organised!