Real Christmas Tree or artificial tree?

Do you have a real Christmas tree or do you have an artificial one?

What do you think the advantages or down sides are of both types.

A friend has just bought an artificial tree and it looks just like a real tree, I have a slim black artificial tree so it doesn’t even look like a real tree, it’s decorated in silver baubles and bells and blue lights, how do you decorate your tree?

1 Like

We have an artificial one. I do like real ones, but not the falling needles.

Decorations are mainly red, with the odd traditional one. I personally do not like tinsel. We have a Christmas fairy in the top.

Real for me , as I love the smell. I bought a small one in a pot, and it will be coming in for it’s 5th year soon.
It is looking a bit gappy this year as it didn’t appreciate the dry summer, and I thought I’d lost it, but it has greened up again.

We have a random collection of handmade decs, get a new one every year, along with some ancient red glass balls, glass snowflakes and gold stars. I made a fairy/ angel for the top 17 years ago, so she comes out each year.

I’m not a tinsel fan either, so we have very little of that.

I’ve had the real thing bring me out in rashes so we have a lego one!

4 Likes

A real one in the garden, and what my sons called when they were little an auntie fishal tree for indoors. Gold and red baubles and bows with some new ceramic hanging decs and a Father Christmas for the top of the tree.
No tinsel for me either.

3 Likes

I love real trees, but we don’t have the space for them. So we have a small table top artificial one. I have a bubblegum pink one upstairs, for my pink addiction… but then we have a white one downstairs that we cover in vintage and colourful ornaments- the white is a lovely base to make the colours pop. The white also reflects the colours off the lights.

@ruthwalkergifts I have a star on top, used to have fairy/angels when the children were young, they used to make the dress and wings from paper doilies.

1 Like

@DeborahJonesJewellery I love the idea of growing your own tree :slight_smile:

Haha, I love the thought of a lego tree :slight_smile: :evergreen_tree: @SashaGarrett

1 Like

Sounds so pretty :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

We went down the artificial route when my daughter was born as I was worried about her picking up needles, etc - and we’ve just stuck with it every year. Before she was born we were always real tree-ers, but artificial trees can look so good these days I don’t really miss it (plus you don’t have to water them and hoover every day!). I got some of those scented things to hang in the tree so that we still get the pine smell - I think Aldi are selling them this year. They last for ages - I leave one hanging inside the tree when we pack it away and it still smells the following year, so the pot of them I have is going to last for years at this rate!

We have two trees: one in the living room and one in the kitchen. The kitchen one is one of those with a snowy effect which looks lovely but, boy, does it make a mess when you put it up. The snowy stuff sheds like crazy (don’t wear a jumper when you put it up, you’ll be picking ‘snow’ out of it for days)!!

I change colours around every year: I think I’m going to go for just white and clear on the living room one this year for a change (last year I did all gold). I might go for gold and green in the kitchen this year. I’ve got a bit of a collection of baubles that I’ve accumulated over the years!

Not averse to a bit of strategically placed tinsel… although the bits I do have nearly always end up being nabbed by my daughter and draped around her room!

I’m hoping to make some homemade decs this year - well, that’s the plan, only time will tell whether I get the opportunity to sit down and make them though… :thinking:

When do you all put your decs up?

3 Likes

Ours is going up about the 10th December, that’s if I don’t give in before then :wink:

1 Like

Artificial one here - cant afford the expense of a real one every year although I do love them. My girls have always chosen or been given a decoration each every year and as they are now in their 20’s we dont need much more. I dont really like putting up the tree too early but usually get pestered into it by the girls, my eldest (who has just moved back in with me) has decided December 1st is going to be the day this year - I think its far too early - not sure who will win that battle!

Since our son left home and we moved to Cornwall, we gave up on real trees and bought a very real looking artificial one and we just love it. Also have half a tree in the dining room, it fits up against the wall. Don’t think our son will ever forgive us though!

1 Like

Real tree for me with lots of lights and baubles. OH won’t let me put tinsel on the big tree, so I go mad with a smaller artificial one which goes in the front porch. :laughing::christmas_tree:
We have a fairy on the top who is as old as me. She looks a bit poorly these days, but I can’t imagine Christmas without her.
The plan this year is for the tree to go up on the 15th.

2 Likes

I have loads of decorations and baubles that I have accumulated over the years, too many for the tree so I attach ribbon and either hang them from picture and curtain rails or I make wreathes for the doors.

Artificial white tree, so that the cats can play with it!

Real! We usually get a 6-7ft one for the conservatory, lots of lights, red, green and gold baubles and other assorted decorations and gold lametta. We also have an artificial one in the porch.

1 Like

@RhiannonRoseJewellery… haha :evergreen_tree::cat::cat2::evergreen_tree: the kitty’s do love the Christmas trees :slight_smile:

@wildrosedesigns, the traditional colours always look so festive :slight_smile:

1 Like