Real Christmas Tree or artificial tree?

I always used to have a real tree. I love the whole traditional thing, and decorating the tree was an event in itself. Then I started going on holiday at Christmas, abroad if possible, so no tree at all or tinsel on the palm tree :grin:

this is our tree :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We have artificial, it seems the safer option for the pets.

Like @PhotoFairytales, I donā€™t like to have the same colour scheme 2 years in a row. Weā€™ve got bags of decorations sorted by colour so I can easily pick and choose. I think my favourite was a rainbow gradient a few years agoā€¦ but I havenā€™t decided what this yearā€™s will be yet. I donā€™t like tinsel on the tree either, but donā€™t mind it in other places.

When it goes up could be any time in December, itā€™s been as early as the 1st and as late as the 23rdā€¦ just depends when we get time to clear out the hallway to make room for it (it also has to stay up until after the 7th in this house).

1 Like

Ooh Kim, you sound a lot more organised than me - I think I may take a leaf out of your book and try to pack mine away organised by colour this January!!

Rainbow gradient trees are supposed to be ā€˜theā€™ look this year - youā€™re obviously way ahead when it comes to trendsetting!!

And yes, definitely has to stay up until 12th night - I just donā€™t get those people that take it all down on January 1stā€¦ although it does always make your room feel bigger when you put it all away :christmas_tree:

Cat + Christmas = Chaos!!

8 Likes

I wasnā€™t until a few years ago, but I got fed up of searching through all the bags trying to make sure Iā€™d got all the reds (or whatever colour). Itā€™s certainly made the decorating a little quicker, and itā€™s easier to see if we need to buy more of any.

7th is after the 12th night (I think thatā€™s the 5th or 6th), but Iā€™ve got Ukrainian heritage and they donā€™t have Christmas until 7th January. I donā€™t really do anything else to celebrate it, but it seems wrong to take the tree down before 2nd Christmas :smile:

1 Like

We have two real looking artificial trees, one in the kitchen and one in the conservatory. Although I love real trees, we use to end up with a bare tree, once the needles had fallen. The main tree has baubles that weā€™ve collected over the years that have lots of memories and we add more each year and Iā€™m very excited that this year we have some lovely crochet mistletoe to put around it made by the lovely @Justtosay.

The tree in the kitchen will be decorated in pastels by my two grown-up kids this year and Iā€™ve promised not to change it when theyā€™re not around. :grinning:

We wonā€™t be putting our trees up until 15th December.

1 Like

We have a white artificial tree. Weā€™ve changed from real tree a few years ago and never looked back. We tried the tree in a pot version as well at some point, but we only used it 2 years and then it started to dry out. My husband took it in the nearby forest and re-planted itā€¦
Our decorations are red baubles, golden stars from @DandelionsGallery and wood hanging decorations, mainly woodland animals (hedgehogs, rabbit, deer, owl, etc). No tinsels here either.
I will put it up next weekend :slight_smile: .

We have an artificial tree but I always want to get a real one. The smell is unreal. I do worry about the needles dropping though and my 2.5 year old is a real tearaway. Last year we didnā€™t put our tree up for fear of him knocking it down. So I wonder if we have to go artificial again this year as a trial with him.

My living room is golds, creams and bronze so I bought matching in the sales last year with lots of pine cones. I havenā€™t seen it up yet but Iā€™m excited. We have a star for the top but an old angel my brother made when he was in junior school always sits amongst the branches.

1 Like

I love real trees, but we have an artificial one thatā€™s possibly as old as I am. The decorations are museum pieces as well. There are so many pressures on the purse strings at Christmas, replacing the tree is always considered a low priority.

1 Like

Aww it was a pleasure to make it for you Tina - especially as I did it in Italian sunshine!

When I was young we always had just a small tinsel tree decorated with decorations that used to belong to my Dadā€™s mother. We were devastated when my parents decided to buy a real tree instead one year!
Iā€™m excited now though as weā€™re clearing my Dadā€™s house and Iā€™m due to inherit the small tinsel tree as well as the 1940ā€™s fairy that always used to sit on top. It will be such a blast from the past and is guaranteed to make me cry!

Love the thought of you having to promise not to change the tree decorations round Tina - I think weā€™ve all been there!

1 Like

Oh wow! Thatā€™s lovely Sue! :slight_smile:

thank-you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a black and silver artificial treeā€¦had it for years nowā€¦we decorate it with silver ornaments and it looks lovelyā€¦one of my neighbours had a tree (until he died a couple of years ago) and he bought it in Woolworth in 1956ā€¦complete with fairy lights which still workedā€¦
I am all in favour of artificial trees and no mess to clear up when you put the decorations away.

3 Likes

My mum and dad had some gorgeous Father Christmas tree lights from the 60ā€™s - I was so upset when I found out theyā€™d thrown them out last year when they moved house! Probably worth a fortune, but more importantly they went on the tree every year and it feels like it was part of my childhood. Odd how Christmas has the knack of taking you right back to being a child again! To them they were just ā€˜oldā€™ but to me it was all nostalgia and memories!

We never used to have stockings for Father Christmas - we used to have pillowcasesā€¦ whacking great pillowcases poor Santa had to fill!! :santa:

2 Likes

Me and my brother had pillowcases as well Sarah, Mum must have embroidered them with our names on them and then one year I caught her carefully undoing the stitches so they could be used again as pillowcases. :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see the 1940ā€™s fairy Christine, how lovely. :slight_smile:

I will send a pic when she comes to live here Tina! :slight_smile:x

For those who are worried about needles dropping and itā€™s the only reason you donā€™t get a real tree, there are two that I know donā€™t drop, or only drop a tiny bit. Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re available everywhere though but weā€™ve no problem getting them here in my part of Scotland. Nordic/Nordmann Firs donā€™t drop, neither do Scots Pine. Weā€™ve always gone for a scots pine as theyā€™re grown a few miles away.

1 Like

I have a real tree, because I just love it. Throughout my childhood we had a a very bad artificial tree. I also have decorated tree branches.
Colour scheme of red and gold and lots of my own handmade felt decorations and a few special handmade glass decorations.
Lots of lights no tinsel.

1 Like