Rework of picture

I’ve taken this picture out of my Folksy shop and decided to give it a rework. I love the picture in the flesh, but it doesn’t photograph particularly well. For example, when you view the picture in the flesh, you can see the embroidery on the sand but this gets lost when viewed from afar. And I also think it would benefit from some contrasting colours.

So I’m going to add some figures to the scene and also provide a better contrast around the huts themselves. Fingers crossed it will improve it and not completely wreck it!!! :fearful:

If you want to follow this journey, I’m posting some updates on my Facebook page (www.Facebook.com/textiletreasure) and I’ll post a picture on here too when I’ve finished.

Does anyone else rework their items and what have been the results?? Any tips anyone wants to share?? :smile:

1 Like

I often remake cards or add to them, but there’s not as much time invested in making them as your lovely picture. I’m sure if you do a little at a time then you won’t ‘wreck’ your artwork, I find doing a bit then going and doing something else for a while enables you to look at it with ‘fresh eyes’ (and it’s a good excuse to have a cuppa :slight_smile: ) Looking forward to seeing the results of your tweaking :grinning:

1 Like

I already love your picture so I’m looking forward to see what you do with it. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Diane - I have finished the beach huts and am now deciding what to do with the people - just as you, I also prefer to leave things a little while and then go back, just to make sure I don’t go too mad!! :smile:

PS if you have photos would be good to you before and afters too!

1 Like

Thanks Helen! I hope it doesn’t go horribly wrong!! :smile:

1 Like

Well it took a while but in the end I managed to get around to finishing (well for the moment…) my rework of the Beach Huts picture.

What do you think?? Worth doing?? (I must admit, I now have the urge to rework every single picture that i have in storage!!!) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

PS - I have a few copies of the old version print still available - should I destroy these or offer them at rock bottom prices to clear them??? What would you do?

3 Likes

Here’s a before and after pic to avoid having to scroll back to read the first few comments: PS you can see how my photos have improved too!!

5 Likes

I think the reworked version is much more interesting and has much more depth and texture :smile: with the prints of the old version I wouldn’t destroy them just yet, try offering them at a reasonable price (no need to reduce them too much to start with as they’ll still look good just not as detailed as the new versions) then if they don’t go reduce them xx

1 Like

Thanks @DeesDesigns. I need to see exactly how many copies of the ‘old’ version I have left and then think a bit more about the price. :slight_smile:

It looks lovely - well done. I would still offer the prints for sale and probably wouldn’t even reduce them. They’re still prints of an original picture you produced and the fact that it no longer exists in its original form is neither here nor there.

3 Likes

Loving the newer version, much more interesting!

1 Like

Love both. You’ve done a wonderful job on the reworked picture, plenty to keep the eye interested. The original represents a more tranquil scene which is also really appealing. So offering the prints of the original would give a great choice.

1 Like

Thank you for the nice comments - the picture looks rather nice at the moment hanging on my wall but I must get around to photographing it and putting it up for sale!! :grinning:

2 Likes

I procrastinate terribly when it comes to photographing and listing. Love the making part but not the rest!

2 Likes

Just thought you might be interested that at long last, I finally have prints and cards available in this design.

When I look back, it seems crazy that nearly a year had passed since I started this project and that the finished results are only just appearing in my shop!! The original is currently in display at an exhibition, and when that has finished, I’ll list it here (unless it sells of course!). Do you think I should start a new thread entitled 'Projects that took aaaaaages to complete???!!

Have fun today everyone,

2 Likes

Oh Heidi I love the reworked version, it has so much life and interest.

1 Like

Thanks @StephanieGuy - that’s nice of you to say. It does look very different! How awful though that it took nearly a year from start to finish to get the cards and prints out :astonished: I feel as though I need to work a bit harder… :flushed: