Ever start a project and regret it?

I had some rather bright patterned material but not a lot of it and I had some blue to go with it.

I knew it was going to be not so easy to work with but boy I wish I’d just thrown it out now.

I cut it up into smaller square’s to make a patchwork table runner. But the material is just so horrid to work with. It’s slips it stretches but unlike a real stretch material it doesn’t return to it’s original size so you end up with baggy bits.

Now I don’t think I’m going to put it into my shop, it might be ok for my own dinning table we shall see.

Anyone else have this problem?

Can you see what I mean from this image
[URL=http://s982.photobucket.com/user/LetsDrift/media/IMGP3494_zps9qvzhvng.jpg.html][/URL]

Oh dear! I don’t know about fabrics…will it help if you wash it and iron it?

I once bought this beautiful, colorful yarn that looked so impressive. When I started knitting with it, I felt like just throwing it away. It was not easy to work with and made my knitting look messy. It had lots of finer and chunky bits to it with no elasticity. Half way through, I put it aside and didn’t touch it again for a few weeks. This was one project I wished I hadn’t started, but I decided to finish it with lots of patience. I washed it, blocked it and turned out quite well in the end. I think the yarn is now discontinued.

I will have a go but I think its just the material it’s not cotton I think it might be rayon and boy does it fray.

I’ve just finished a pair of gold earrings to match a pre existing bracelet (not made by me). It started with the bullion dealer sending me the wrong size bit of metal (their mistake so I could send it back), carried on with me having to solder right angles with non flat pieces and then I had to figure out how to polish a small 3D design. Argh. Thankfully the client is over the moon and has paid me and hopefully his girlfriend likes them too.

And here the pesky earrings are.

4 Likes

I’ve got a dress that’s been cut out ready to be sewn for weeks now, the fabric is cotton, but very sheer and it’s not so much that I regret starting the dress just that I’m terrified of ruining the beautiful fabric :confused:

Maybe try some lightweight iron on interfacing on it…it may stabilise it a bit.

well I finished it but there are a couple of tiny errors due to the warping of the material. I’ve decided to keep it for my own table. I know my hubbie will be pleased as he liked the colours.

1 Like

I knew when I laid the material out to cut it that I should have first laid it onto some iron on interfacing but I’d run out and decided to chance it. doh!

Many years ago I bought some expensive fabric from Liberties to make a pair of those trousers where the crotch hangs down by the knees in soft folds ( what was I thinking ) but the fabric just wouldn’t drape right . I couldn’t bare to get rid of it though as I loved it so much - well last year after more than 30 years in a box, I rediscovered it and decided it was the perfect fabric to re cover my stall display boards. I am really pleased with them and they compliment my work well and get lots of lovely comments . So all was not lost.

2 Likes

Funnily enough I was going to post on here to see if anyone else battles on with a project even when its obvious its not going to plan! I often price items according to the time they should have taken rather than the many hours it has taken me to complete when I should have just given up and started again! Don’t like to be beaten though.

It seems whenever I decide to make something for myself, I end up with a half finished project, this time it is a cardi, meant to be for spring…2019!! Someone once explained it to me, when you have a piece of fabric or a ball of wool it is full of potential, but once it has been cut or cast on, it has reached its potential, and for a perfectionist that can be disappointing! But, no So, I am going to put my lap top down, stop prevaricating and pick up my needles, you never know by the time this thread has run its course I may be sewing on the beautiful glass buttons I found. I will keep you posted, suzzie x

Photos please when you’re done @thistledownandHOPE
My part started knitting projects often get unravelled and sent to my darling mum to be sorted out. She has almost finished a jumper I started for the OH two maybe 3, possibly even 4, years ago and never got beyond the first cuff. But she still hasn’t finished the fairisle tanktop she promised me years ago (she did the trial pattern squares and everything), maybe I’ll remind her when the jumper is done…

Well I added about an inch last night, nearly reached the armhole, and it still fits round! Thanks for the motivation, x

2 Likes

I have lots of UFO’s (Un-Finished Object’s) and I keep taking them out and putting them in front of me on my table and thinking I will finish that today, but they never get finished. I must set a day to concentrate on those items only and refrain from starting something else until they are finished.

1 Like

Photos please when they are finished @PaulinesCrafts, we will all celebrate the completion together.

I think you might be waiting a long time for a photo @SashaGarrett. I’ll never get them finished, there’s too many of them.

1 Like

Hi @SashaGarrett Here’s a photo of one of my Christmas baskets that’s been in the making since November last year and never got round to finishing it. All it needs now is some twisted cord around where its gathered.

3 Likes

That is lovely Pauline you really should to the cord than it will be ready in time for Christmas.

See not much to do on that one - what’s the hold up? I’m thinking gold cord to match the top trim and then its sorted ready for christmas! At this rate you’ll get through the pile in no time…

1 Like