Royal mail charges

My son runs his own business and had an email from Royal Mail informing him that they now have a "same day Service.
To test it out, he filled out the details to send a parcel from Scotland to Wales. (sorry I have no idea of the size but it won’t have been THAT large…this is the reply.
Your Quote
Your quotation for this delivery is £399.36 + £79.87 VAT = £479.23

ha ha

7 Likes

That’s shocking!

It’d be much cheaper if he delivered the package himself! And enjoy a nice day trip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

lol…it made us both laugh though. He hasn’t got anything to send, he just wanted to test out the quotes…just as well really…lol

:open_mouth: that’s shocking

1 Like

I think it might have been cheaper for my son to fly here !!

I was interested so I had a quick look on expedia. Can’t do Cardiff to Glasgow and back easily in one day but a return from Bristol to Glasgow is only £95, assuming its a large parcel he’ll need to check a bag which will be another ~£20 which gives him £365 for taxis to and from the airports…

2 Likes

Out of curiosity I went into the Royal Mail site and searched for a price for a large 2 kg parcel worth £50 to be delivered to a UK address. The range of prices was from £11.99 yo £29.00 depending when you wanted it delivered. Maybe your son was sending an enormous parcel, Brenda?!

I think I can see where he got the quote from. When you use the quote form I’ve found on Royal Mail’s site, the smallest option you can pick is small van delivery on one palette weighing up to 400kg, and it’s only£40 more to go up van size, add another palette and have a weight up to 1000kg so it looks like it’s for bulk orders really. Or things you can’t really deliver yourself without a van. Can’t see me sending a bird bath for £300+ anytime soon :wink:

Jo

1 Like

Something else I found out about Royal Mail today. If you send a parcel for next day delivery and that next day is a Saturday you get charged £10 as opposed £6 if it is a weekday. Outrageous.

Love Sam :fish:

Hi Iguana…my son wasn’t actually going to send any thing, he just wanted to get an idea of the price…remember this was SAME DAY delivery from Scotland to Wales…ordinary post is of course a lot cheaper…and because of his business he also has special rates with the PO.

Sam, that is dreadful.
My daughter sold one of her critters on here last week…it weighed next to nothing but because it was too fat for the “slot” it cost her £3.50 to post it, which was almost as much as the sale !!

1 Like

Jo…my son has his own business and has special business rates with the PO…they sent him a private email saying that they had a new service for SAME DAY delivery…not next day or first class but SAME DAY…he just wanted to get a quote out of curiosity and didn’t want to send me anything.

Licence to print money…

Love Sam x

Woah, that’s steep!!! But more expensive than Stevie’s £70.00 postage for a beautiful card! lol, sorry Stevie!!!

:grin: