Share your Folksy High Fives 2021

I’ve just had my 4000th sale! - and very chuffed I am too. I never dreamed I would make and sell 4000 things when I started out. A big thank you to the Folksy team for helping me to establish my little shop - I love it!

12 Likes

Wow reached my 300th sale today - Happy Dancing ofcourse😊

6 Likes

I was really delighted to have my crochet Autumn necklace included in the latest issue of Simply Crochet magazine.

8 Likes

Well done @Justtosay :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hugs: :+1: :partying_face: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you so much Katrina :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::kissing_heart:

1 Like

I have just launched a new line of stickers, a change from my normal cards. Hopefully I will be adding more designs soon. It always makes me nervous to launch anything new, I am sure you have all felt the same way!

5 Likes

I’ve just reached my 300th sale! So pleased and it was to one of my best customers (special thank you gift coming her way!) Yay, that’s cheered me up on this wet day!!!

7 Likes

Have been on folksy for 4 months now and have sold…absolutely nothing. Hardly any views…no likes…no sales. Very disillusioned and despondent. What is it about my work that people dont like? I spend hours and hours creating… …I enjoy felting but what is the point when it’s got nowhere to go? And yet other people seem to sell…perhaps it’s just me. I suffer with depression and find felting therapeutic but it has the opposite effect when I get no success. For that reason I will have to leave folksy as it is not good for my self esteem. :disappointed_relieved::sleepy:

1 Like

Had my first USA sale whoopwhoop! think i need to change more listings to USA delivery :slight_smile: realy made my day x
Here’s what sold

4 Likes

I’ve had an email accepting my application for the Folksy Local Christmas Market! :sunglasses: :partying_face: :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hugs: :pray: :+1: :grinning:

5 Likes

Don’t give up it takes time and i’m sure you will get your first sale soon and Christmas is on its way when everyone starts to look for presents

I participated in my first craft market with other Folksy sellers yesterday, it was a virtual one, organised by Maria of Happy Apple Crafts. I had a go at doing FB Lives as part of it and discovered how much fun it was. And I made my first sale :grin:.

9 Likes

Carole’s right, it’s a slow process. But don’t let lack of sales so far damage how you feel about your craft - to try to keep faith with your work and what it offers you. Just because people don’t buy it doesn’t mean it’s not good, and it certainly doesn’t mean that making it isn’t doing you good. Selling can be lovely and these days we’re encouraged to look for commercial success as makers, but to be honest (and take it from someone who knows) the pleasure of making is often infinitely more rewarding so don’t let the selling side sour that for you - you obviously love felting and that shows in your work. If you do want to keep going with selling then there are some very useful tips in the Seller’s Handbook around photography, social media, and other aspects that are worth a read and could help with your views etc, and other sellers here are really very helpful and supportive in terms of advice. And when you get really blue, go stab some felt!

4 Likes

Hey June.im new too and not sold anything yet, but I am getting quite a lot of views and likes now… I think (hope!) it just takes time! I got some helpful advice the other day so maybe start a new thread asking for tips. Your things are really nice so just keep building your shop for now.
-Keep adding things to your shop. People want to see a shop with a reasonable amount of items in it.
-Write more in your description, talk about the process of felting and give some more info about your products so sizes etc. Add more photos.
-Add tag’s to your listings. think about the words people might use to get to your listings if searching.
Good luck
Amy X

3 Likes

Hi Amy.
Many thanks for your reply and very helpful tips. I will try adding some more items and hope I get some interest. Throughout my life I’ve not had much success with anything so i have become rather disillusioned and weary of trying…I have the passion for creating as I’m sure you have…but what’s the point when it’s got nowhere to go! I am trying to find your shop to look at your stuff but cant get on to it yet.
Once again thank you for your help…its nice to know someone cares!
Best wishes
June

2 Likes

Hi Sarah
Many thanks for your reply and help. Yes I do enjoy felting but find that unless I have feedback in the form of sales I lose interest. I only have a small house and I’m filling it with craft work! All my life i have had the need to create…ive tried craft fairs…craft shops…and never had much success. I begin to question whether my work really is any good. But there we are…I cant make people buy it.i wont give up because I need to do it for the therapeutic rewards.
Thanks once again for your help…I will persevere and live in hope.
Regards
June Smith

2 Likes

I think it’s easy to become disheartened when you are maybe not feeling great generally. Try setting yourself some goals that aren’t focused on sales just yet so get X amount of things listed, make sure they are all tagged, add a banner and a photo. There’s no reason why you won’t sell things but it’s a competitive market so you will have to make your shop look lovely with lots of info, plenty of your makes, multiple photos etc. There might be the odd person that just sets up and sells straight away but they will definitely be in the minority, there’s a lot of learning and building to do before then x

3 Likes

Hi June,

There have been some really helpful tips from other Folksy folk, so I don’t have much more to add, other than to play devil’s advocate and say that in my view, four months really isn’t that long! I’m a fellow felter- my view is that my pieces are considered purchases and I am perhaps not expecting sales every day, week etc, that might be me, being naive but this is my feeling- I can tell you when we do get a sale, it’s all the more sweeter! I will also say this- not everyone understands the work that goes into felting- this in my opinion is a biggie- as far as I am concerned, I am not selling a necessity, I’m selling a gift, it may even look expensive for its size. If my audience doesn’t know the amount of work involved in my make, that’s not their fault, it’s mine for not explaining and writing the details down in the description (I’m not saying this is what you are doing- just putting it out there as something to think about)
The other thing to mention is, you said you felt as therapy (me too) but when it starts having an adverse affect, I would suggest stepping away from it, the nature of felting can make it very frustrating and I completely understand the need to take a break. I read your profile and you mentioned you love other crafts, great…perhaps try another craft when you are feeling low about felting. I don’t really dabble in other crafts and when I take a break, I step away from making altogether (everyone is different- your approach will be right for you)

In the meantime, the Folksy community really are a very friendly bunch and experienced sellers have lots of hints and tips and the blogs are helpful too- have a read at your leisure and be kind to yourself!

Annie x

3 Likes

Hello Katie,
I just wanted to let you know that my lovely little Santa arrived safely today :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
It’s absolutely perfect and I love it!
I will treasure it always :heart::jack_o_lantern::heart:
Thankyou soooo much

This is why we do what we do. A fabulous message in my inbox this morning!

IMG_20210922_184347_707|320x400

3 Likes

Chuffed to see that Lily Lily Handmade is number 18 in today’s Best Sellers list (it doesn’t happen often!) :blush:. Super organised customers have been buying Christmas decorations and gifts since July!

5 Likes