Skillshare - has anybody joined?

hi,
i have been looking at skillshare.com and into the possibility of joining up to learn new skills - wondered if anybody on here has used it & whether it has helped them.
thanks
-x-

I’ve never heard of them.

I’ve just taken a look and to be honest you’d can get most of if it for free by watching How To video on Youtube and by joining a few craft forums for free.

Sally @SallyandtheFreckles are you on there?

no - i heard about it and thought it looked good - but then i suppose u can get all the info. on youtube etc.

WE LOVE IT!!! However Adrienne joined years ago when you paid per class rather than per month. The quality of teaching is high and there’s some great artists sharing their expertise in there! Not signed up for a monthly membership because Adrienne is still working through all the typography/hand lettering classes she signed up for - Mary Kate McDevitt is soooooo good!! (But we struggle to find time to sit down and work through stuff… Sigh!) They also have free classes too which are handy.

YES you can find tutorials online in how to do X, y, z etc but skillshare has structured self-directed project classes - complete with tutor feedback, class forums and much more.

So, yes, we’re fans!

2 Likes

thanks for this - i thought it looked really helpful but then wondered why it was different to free tutorials - am going to have a look again now. i was interested in the hand lettering/pattern repeat /Illustrator classes etc.
appreciate the info - ta

is it worth the premium membership ? thanks.

It’s whether or not you’ll use it? Just spotted they’re doing 3 months for $0.99 per month to new members which is DEFINITELY worth it if you can make time over those three months to do classes.

My membership (Adrienne) meant the classes I bought I have for life which is good because I’m terrible at making time! (Sadly they don’t offer this any more!) I wonder if I was paying monthly whether it’d help me focus and set time aside?

The classes I signed up for are on hand lettering, typography and surface pattern - have a look at their free classes and try one of those?

1 Like

if u sign up for premium monthly you can downlaod all the classes and keep them i think so u would be okay

update : sorry just read you lose access to clasees when u stop paying

Yep - that’s what we’d thought. As I said, my subscription was from a much older model so I luckily have access to my classes for good (but then I paid individually for each class!) whereas now you have access whilst you’re a member. But that then means it’s definitely worth it if they have an offer on and you know you can set time aside! :smile: