Slow stitching mutual promotion (Theme of the Day)

Today’s theme is Slow Stiching, which I’m really excited about as I proposed it in the Folksy theme suggestions posts last month.

I orginally thought about it as the meditative art of “slow stitching” for relaxation rather than to create a specific something, but I can see that others have widened the interpretation to include all sorts of things that involve stitching slowly - knitting, crochet and of course hand embroidery. Which is amazing :grin:.

Would anyone like to get involved in a wider slow stitch share and promotion - where we like and comment on each others posts on FB, Insta etc? And of course, as slow stitching takes time, maybe we could continue this after today … :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

To start us off, here is an Insta post from this morning

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3fALt2ikwb/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

3 Likes

I have included my hand embroidered and hand sewn items, which are ‘slow stitched’ items…they are totally hand sewn and fully embellished so no different to creating an abstract piece perhaps or using applique. I think my slow stitched bears taking around 40 hours fit the criteria :laughing:
How does making an appliqued piece or abstract piece differ from a hand embroidered piece.

I was surprised to see crafts other than hand embroidery/embellishment or hand sewn though.

Hand embroidered collectable artist bear, luxur... - Folksy

1 Like

I just love your bears Debby @Bearlescent, I am so tempted to get one for myself. Or drop big hints for my birthday!!!

The use of “Slow stitching” as a modern term has a very narrow definition relating to sewing simple stitches without thought (see below) so a lot of my hand embroidery or hand sewing wouldn’t fall into it either. But I like to be inclusive, so for my interpretation anything goes.

I was initially surprised to see crochet and knitting joining in, but of course that art also uses stitches and it can be slow :grinning: so maybe it’s a cousin of “needle and thread” Slow Stitching, but with bigger needles!!!

IMPORTANT - I’ve included this definition I found online to explain the origin of the term, not to restrict people joining in.

I really want to start doing some Folksy Friday boards now I’m on Instagram, so I’m thinking about a series of themed needle and thread boards - starting with the “purest” form of free flowing stitching with no objective, then look at it’s use in mending before widening to hand stitched textile art pictures and the use of hand embroidery as a decorative feature. Then, I’ll do some “big needle” stuff too if people are interested.

2 Likes

Thank you @TheOldButton
I was surprised with crochet and knitting too.
All of my embroidery is freestyle, I don’t use patterns or templates, I just start to sew and it turns out how it turns out. the only time I might make a sketch is when I’m doing an embroidered picture but everything else including the needlepoint is made up as I go, obviously the actual bear is cut to my own pattern, I suppose as i have developed my own style of embroidery over the past few years they do all have that similarity, my hands just know what to do :laughing: :rofl: :joy:. I wonder which simple stitches are meant…stabbing stitch, random straight stitches lol, perhaps more like scrap crafting. It’s an interesting topic anyway and your ideas for instagram boards sound really interesting, I love creative textiles and embroidery, a subject i would have loved to have taken at college had it been available.

1 Like

Yes, they do just mean you can use simple stitches like stab or running - although the end result can be very complex where the stitches form the art work - like Japanese Boro & Sashiko - right through to running stitches holding gorgeous bits of fabric together - like junk journaling or textile pictures. As well as the beautiful floral embroidery you do with a wider range of stitches. The “mindless” aspect is not a lack of design thought or the simplicity of the stitch you use, but more about sewing slowly for relaxation and enjoyment, rather than rushing just to complete a project - it’s a kick back against mass production.

This is rather an interesting read about the history and how it links to other, perhaps more traditional, forms of hand embroidery.

I also find it fascinating - I suspect I will be doing a blog post soon…

1 Like

Yes interesting and that slow stitch book may have to go onto my ‘I would like to own/buy’ list

1 Like

Are you allowed to buy it in February, Debby? :grin:

2 Likes

Oh damn it…no…
The bloomin Folksy police are everywhere :laughing: :rofl: :joy:
I will wait till March Helen

2 Likes

Sorry, but just an aside. I recently suggested a design for my charity group to consider for Easter sales. It was a rabbit (recycled from gloves) and thus, I guess, a toy. It was pointed out to me that one cannot sell toys without tests… My question is to Bearlescent: Are your bears tested or do you state they are collectors items, not toys? Is the toy-testing policy just for under 3s? I’d be grateful for your input. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, what a fabulous idea for your group.

It is a minefield…I am primarily a bear artist, my artist bears are not designed as toys and are sold to adult collectors. They are made from expensive mohair and alpaca fabrics. My newer items have been designed for their embroidery as hand embroidered gifts.
I use cotter pin joints as is traditional in collectables, toys require plastic safety joints which I don’t use as they are not adjustable to suit the bear and not used in collectables.
I make one off bears so they cannot be tested, in order to make them suitable for children it would only be worthwhile if batches of the same bear, to the same pattern, materials etc were made.
Alpaca and mohair are very expensive and price point is another factor between collectables and toys.

Toy testing is not just for under 3’s, my bears come with birth certificates which state they are not suitable for under 14’s, people often think only baby toys need testing but this isn’t the case.

My newer letterbox and woodland bears are not suitable for children, they are made for their decorative details and designed as keepsake gifts, home decorations.
It is a difficult one, obviously you can’t just make a rabbit that looks like a toy and say it is a collectable, I have seen many items at craft fairs that are sold to children, theres a local knitting group near me that use up their wool stash to knit little toys at under £5 and sell to children at fairs, no testing at all.

I don’t do craft fairs, I only sell online to adult collectors but when I did a few years ago I always had signs that stated the items on my table were adult collectables only and not suitable for children. They were not in a price range for children to buy and children were not allowed to handle them on the stall.

You are right you cannot sell any toys without testing, if your group are designing a rabbit that looks like a toy to be sold at a craft fair I think testing needs doing, have you looked into it at all ?

1 Like

Hiya Nancy @charlescottage I actually sell toys (playmats primarily) and I do the full EN71 testing required for UKCA (formerly CE). I also used to make soft toys from recycled fabrics back in the old days, but stopped in order to comply with the regulations - I’m very sad but it had to be done.

I can confirm what Debby @Bearlescent has said.

Anything that has “play value”, looks like a toy, or could be mistaken for a toy by a child must be tested.
This is from Folksy blog - a bit out of date in referring to CE not UKCA, but useful.

The age cut off for toys/play value is 14, but the actual tests apply differently to different toys. It sounds like you are planning on stuffing the gloves? Stuffed soft toy made from standard materials/fabrics need to be tested as safe from birth.

The over 3 age warning is very specific - it’s used for other types of toys, often with very small parts like Lego or Playmobil, or electrical components. Soft toys covers a huge range of toys - including my playmats that need to be safe from birth even though they are designed for use with these over 3 pretend-play toys.

As you have noted,there are exemptions for collector items - and as Debbie confirmed, these are differentuated by a very high price, and generally luxury materials and lots of skilled work - you can’t just say it’s a collector item and charge a lot of money to avoid testing. And to avoid doubt, it is recommended they are labeled clearly and not sold alongside products aimed at under 14s.

Another similar exclusion is ornament/decoration - but that is really hard to navigate that correctly as they are usually have much lower sale point. You would need to be able to justify why it’s an ornament, rather than just calling it one to get round the testing requirement. For example, things like stuffed keyring charms and pram danglies can also fall under toy testing if they look like cuddlies. You usually have to modify the design significently so a kid doesn’t think its a toy - suggestions often given in toy testing groups are to try unstuffed items with prominent hanging loops, or mount stuffed item on a wooden base - but the decision is yours based on your risk assessment. Again, it’s often recommended to use clear labelling - such as the positive statement “this is an ornament”, rather than the negative “this is not a toy” - and don’t sell with stuff for under 14 year olds. And see my comment at the end about safety obligations under GPSR.

You are allowed to make things and give them away without toy testing - which is how some groups knit toys for kids in hospitals, to me it’s madness as the same risks apply, but it is what it is. But as soon as even a single penny changes hands, the maker must test them.

Toy testing isn’t hard to do yourself but it takes time and a bit of money. However, it’s not practical for recycled materials because of the prohibitive cost to get fabrics tested for chemicals.

If you want any more info on toy testing and when it’s needed, give me a shout. I’m not an expert and can’t give you definitive advice (you have to make your own decision) but I can point you in the direction of a couple of groups that have a lot of collective knowledge and links to professional advice.

Finally, assuming you will be making non-toy items to sell, check out the General Product Safety Regulations - these apply to everything that is not covered by a specific regulation such as TOYs. It’s not as scary as it sounds - it just gives practical advice so your makes are safe.

2 Likes

Back on the top of slow stitching :grinning: , I’ve done my first Folksy Friday board on Instagram and on Facebook. It’s on the theme of old lace and I’ve found some lovely combinations of fabrics and colours in pastel spring shades, including some stunning bundles and beautifully slow stitched pieces.

Includes items from fellow forum members @lynwoodcrafts, @daisylions and @craftyali1, plus Marilyns Creative Threads, Occasional Purl and Maire Curtis Studio,

I’ve tagged you all in Instagram and Facebook if you want to share.

Debby @Bearlescent - I nearly included your pink bear with a frilled lace dress, but I decided to keep your gorgeous creations for the next board with a theme around embroidery stitches.

2 Likes

So many thanks to you, Bearlescent, and to The Old Button. You have both been really helpful. My charity stitching group was born out of a Covid project, sometimes helping local organisations, sometimes making items to sell for a country house nearby that hosts our meetings.
At least someone was on the ball about the toy testing element, but you have filled in so many other points of interest like the stuffing, for instance. Sometimes as a group we have to be reigned in on our enthusiasm and I’ll certainly pass on the information from both of you.
I am sure your information will also be helpful to other sellers who may not realise they could be crossing the boundaries between decorations and toys.
I’m really grateful for all the hints, tips and other information I am picking up from being part of the Folksy Family.

2 Likes

No worries Nancy, @charlescottage. Glad it was helpful. And enthusiasm is great.
Just to clarify, having or not having stuffing doesn’t mean it’s automatically a toy or not (for example Fuzzy Felts were not stuffed but clearly intended as a toy, and who doesn’t have little stuffed hanging creatures that are clearly decorations - my Xmas tree is covered in them :grin:).
I just used it as an example some people use to help their thinking along the blurred boundaries between toys and decorations, and there are many more things to consider alongside them. If in doubt, speak to your local trading standards teams - they are not the ogres we think they might be :grin:

1 Like

@TheOldButton wow…so much more info than I could give and I couldn’t have written it as well as you did, this would be a good piece for Folksy to share.
I have no desire to make toys as the part I enjoy is the embroidery and embellishment which isn’t suitable for children but there are plenty of shops on Folksy that could do to read your reply !!
Your board is lovely by the way, I do love old lace as well especially antique looking lace, I often tea or coffee dye mine or hand colour with watercolour pencils as I like it to look aged. Old needlecrafts and lots of embroidery, just plenty of detail really is my thing…I certainly dont think i will ever be suited to making minimalist items :laughing:
I wasn’t sure about the white dress on the pink bear, I rarely use white, I usually make it aged looking znd do keep wondering whether I should make another but I do also realise my choice might not be eveyone elses.

@charlescottage pleased we were of help, Sharon put it so well.
Talking of hand colouring above reminded me, I often hand paint fabrics or dye with coffee etc and I use dried lavender in my keepsake gifts obviously these make them unsuitable for toys as well.
Hope you find an alternative idea to make with your group.
The Folksy family are great arn’t they, over the last few years I have asked many questions on here and there are always so many people offering advice and information, it was other Folksy sellers that suggested I make some smaller items for my shop alongside my bears which was really good advice.

1 Like

Ah, if only we could all second guess what buyers want! I like the white dress, and I also like the white dungarees on another bear - but that maybe because I just LOVE dungarees!
The charity group raised a four-figure sum for the House funds last year, so we do manage to find lots of ideas - strangely, the most popular items seem to be exorbitantly priced greetings cards using appliqued fabrics.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, I love the dungarees on bears as well, it was just the white dress I wasn’t as keen on.
How amazing, that’s quite an achievement from your craft group.

1 Like