Social media help needed! Arggh

Evening, I’m totally stuck with social media having got this far not using in day to day life. I’ve set up a Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest page and would really appreciate feedback and tips on how to promote and boost engagement. Any ideas please?
Thanks,
Pete.

1 Like

When you post something on Instagram, use hashtags - anything that may be relevant #wood #houses #gifts but don’t put them on the actual post, add them as a comment afterwards - then people with interests in those things will follow you.
On facebook, it’s good to join in a few craft groups and share your things on those - Folksy Shop Group and Folksy Networking Group are two good ones to start with, but there are loads of others. Chat to people when they comment on your posts and like and make comments on other people’s posts. You’ll soon get familiar with it all.

Hi Martine, thanks for the advice. I didn’t realise the hashtags applied to comments rather than posts on Instagram so I’ll bear this in mind. I’ll also try to figure out how to join some groups on Facebook…I think Facebook puzzles me the most to be honest!

I’m new to this forum but it’s great to have such a supportive group of people. I’ll certainly look for opportunities to give advice to others… If I can :slight_smile:

Pete

You can put hashtags on your post but they are more effective if you add them in a comment afterwards.
If you join in our Folksy shop group and Folksy networking group, I’m sure there are other members who will be able to give you advice, as and when you need it.
Folksy is a lovely community - just ask, and I’m sure someone will be able to help you.

Try focusing on one social media platform and doing that really well, instead of trying to do loads and never having the time to engage with your audience. Have a search around and see if there are big brands and other crafters doing what you do on each platform - which ones get the most followers and interaction? Then focus your attention on those.

Plus, use the one that you enjoy the most, if you don’t like taking Instagram ready photos ( and I really don’t, never got the hang of it) then you wont feel like working at it. You have to enjoy it, as it takes a lot of work.

(having just read that all back, I really should take my own advice!!! I really am trying with Twitter at the moment, but I’m struggling!)
Good luck with it x

1 Like

I like Instagram but I am on Faceache, Twitter and Pinterest. The good thing about Twitter and Pinterest is you can share onto them from your product page on Folksy. You can also do this with Faceache but the trouble with FB you have to intereact moreand work really hard to be noticed. Pinterest and Twitter are great in addition to Folksy.

2 Likes

Thanks Martine, I’ll see about joining those groups… I’m loving the little dolls and clothing!

Thanks Amy, that’s good advice as I’m finding it difficult juggling the different platforms and still find time to actually make stuff!

Good point re following people with similar products. I’ll try that too.

1 Like

Thanks Linda, I think I like Instagram the best but as you say it’s easier to refer using Pinterest. I agree FB seems like a lot of work, although someone said that you can post on British crafter’s for free to promote… haven’t figured out how to do this though!

Thank you :blush:

Hello @TreeofCraftyDelights I run British Crafters - just popped you on today!

Read the “About Us” on FB to see how the free stuff works!

You can also book promotion at www.britishcrafters.co.uk - then we do all the promotion for you & you stop saying Arghh! & carry on making little houses! :slight_smile: Dottie

PS at one point this week all the Folksy shops on promo this month were in the Folksy Best Sellers Top 40!

Hi Dottie, thanks for the promo that was a nice surprise :grinning: I’ll keep my fingers crossed for more traffic and will be adding makes to your list or booking promo in the future… Thanks again! Pete

1 Like

You are most welcome! Look forward to seeing you around BC :slight_smile: