Folksy Ltd

Soon to be unemployed...I'm stuck for ideas!

(Susannah Ayre) #1

Hi folks.

I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position as I am soon to be- and what you did!

Basically for the last 9 years I’ve just worked full time so my husband could complete his degree and PhD without having to worry about working- I’ve been within schools the whole time with teenagers with special educational needs (but mainstream) and in pastoral support. It’s never something I intended to go into- it just happened. And now- well I’m really not enjoying it anymore at all.

As I’ve said on here before, in September my husband and I are moving to Canada- he has been offered a post-doctorate position at a university and will earn considerably more than I currently do. I have handed my notice in and from 1st September will be unemployed for the first time.

My issue really, is I’ve got no idea what to do or what I want to do with myself! There’s various things I’m interested in but I just don’t know. My husband will be earning enough so I technically don’t have to work if I don’t want to. But I’m only 28- so I do intend to work- I just have no idea what- I don’t want to be back in schools. Anyone else been in this sort of position before? How did you decide?
You’d think it would be a nice feeling- but I feel like if I don’t decide sometime I’m going to just waste time!..and you only live once! I want to make the most! I feel like I’m a teenager all over again going ‘well I don’t know what I want to do when I’m older!’ :neutral_face:

(James Alden) #2

Crtaftwise I don’t think you will have problems in Canada, I have a friend in Ripley Creek BC and arts and crafts seem a lot more active over there,she makes a lot from painted stones,cards,printsand $1000 pastel paintings and sells well. I have Thistle Down on my wall,a pastel she sent as a gift.
Perhaps you may want to carry on with the crafts and perhaps pass on some of what you know.Whatever, may good fortune follow you both and stay with you during a long and prosperous new life.

1 Like
(Susannah Ayre) #3

Thanks James. I do definitely want to carry on with my artwork. Obviously here because I work full time it’s just more of an escape whenever I’ve got some time and I’m in the mood to be honest- which these days are few and far between. So I’m hoping to be able to do it more- not sure in what capacity though.

I’ve started following like minded people on Instagram primarily to try and get a bit of an idea as to what’s happening in the area I’ll be in (Calgary). Everyone seems super helpful as well which is really nice. :slight_smile:

Thanks James!

1 Like
(Minerva) #4

I would do day trips, mini holidays & traveling!! I would explore the city, walk around neighborhoods, have coffees and pastries. Once you clear your head and adjust to the new environment and life, ideas will come to you. I know when I do things like that ideas come to me when I least expect them. Things I never even thought about.

You have to see what opportunities are there when you have a look around. In the meantime…enjoy the free time without worrying or feeling guilty :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Sasha Garrett) #5

I spent 12 long years working hard in pharma until I got fed up of the job and of being made redundant so with the blessing of the OH (who accepted that I had supported him through the phd/ post doc years so maybe it was time for some role reversal) I switched to selling my jewellery. I say move to Canada and see what takes your fancy - you could end up as a cowgirl!

1 Like
(Helen Clifford) #6

If you don’t need the income, then how about volunteering? I’m sure your skills would be welcome in opportunities from working outside maintaining beauty spots, to befriending in hospitals, to doing work in local charity shops. And you’d meet loads of new people !

1 Like
(James Alden) #7

While you are here,I don’t know which part you are goiing to but google highway 16,the highway of tears and be aware of it.

(Susannah Ayre) #8

I think while I don’t directly need the money for my current circumstances- I am 28…(husband 29) and so we do need to start saving for our future- so I do definitely want to work somewhere- even if my income is simply going into a savings account it will help.

But I would like to do something useful at the same time. Though in my current job while it is worthwhile and helps people- it’s just become far far too stressful and it’s just making me exhausted and miserable. I’ll definitely be open to some sort of volunteering though. Here I’m one of our local reps for surfers against sewage and that’s good- so I do like doing that sort of thing. :slight_smile:

(Susannah Ayre) #9

Ah same kind of situation then! :slight_smile: that sounds great! Well on the plus side my husband is really supportive of me just doing what I want (whatever that may be) he feels like it should now be my turn to be supported and do what I want- which is a lovely feeling- but at the same time it’s something I’m totally not used to! Haha

(Susannah Ayre) #10

Well you do make it sound quite nice! Haha
I don’t know anyone where we’re going- and my husband will obviously be making friends through his new job- and I guess in a new places getting to know people through your job is probably the easiest way to start with. I mean- we don’t have kids or anything so when he’s at work it’s literally going to just be me! Haha
I’m so not used to having these sorts of options to be honest!! It’s a very very odd feeling!!
I am totally looking forward to being somewhere new- we always said we’d move abroad as soon as we got the chance so that parts happening! But it’s not doing my brain any good thinking about what I’m going to do. Haha

1 Like
(Marg) #11

When you move to Canada, your present type of job may be organised very differently there and maybe you may find it better. Moving is stressful in itself, but if you do find a job quickly you will make friends who in turn will help you settle in. Doing something you are good at, i.e. your present job or art will give you confidence. You don’t have to do it for the rest of your life, as you settle in, get used to what’s available, you are young enough to have a career change, possibly attending courses to help you with the change…

There’s no rush when you get to Canada, you will have time to find your feet and be receptive to opportunities and who knows what may happen.

(Susannah Ayre) #12

Yeah I know what you mean. I just don’t want to be in schools anymore at all to be honest, and if that’s what I do there, then if we need to come back here for whatever reason I’m still stuck in schools. Haha we have an issue here whereby if you’re in schools for a while, no other company wants to know you- they can’t seem to see that skills are transferable and instead aren’t interested so you just end up stuck in schools.
Also- I’m sort of wanting to use it as an opportunity to change jobs! :slight_smile:
I’m definitely going to have to find a way to do my artwork though- I’d like to make more of it there- I’d like to get involved in arts groups, that sort of thing. I don’t do anything like that here as I just don’t have the time.

(Marg) #13

I see what you mean about schools. Maybe you could find a job in an art gallery, an art shop, or even a fabric store (just think of all the colourful fabrics, I’d be in heaven). Something will turn up. But keep creating, you are so talented.

1 Like
(Sasha Garrett) #14

You can join your local community garden group (that’s what the canadians call allotments, http://calgaryarea.com/index.php?p=organic&c=community_gardens I googled calgary allotments), that would fill time (and the fridge) whilst you get the art established and allow you to make friends/ meet people whilst you figure out what else you would like to do (house bunny breeder/ trainer?).

(Susannah Ayre) #15

I thought of that @memicrafts !! Haha great minds! And thank you!! :smiley:

And @SashaGarrett I’ve already been googling allotment/gardening situations there! Haha will have a look there too! Bless you! Haha
I won’t be getting into bunnies again…no pets for a good while when we move unfortunately.

I think I like the idea of working part time- say 3 days a week. Somewhere relating to art, like a gallery or museum or that sort of place. I love gardening and things too so would enjoy working somewhere where that’s the main focus- I think I’d happily even work in a garden centre of some sort. And then for the rest of the week explore the art community and getting to a point where I can start creating and hopefully selling again…then maybe reassess in a year or so. I guess at least thanks to my husband I’ll be able to chop and change if I’m not enjoying something- that’s a nice thought! Until now I’ve just had to put up with how things are! Haha

You’re definitely all getting me thinking so thank you all!!!

(HAPPYCAPS) #16

How about bee keeping! Not only is it rewarding, but you can earn good money selling the honey, a great hobby, very interesting and lucrative too!

(Caroline McLean) #17

If you intend to do something from home, then it must be something you’re passionate about or your heart wont be in it! For me its fabric, thus my choice of business which im doing around part tine office work since i cant yet afford to go full time. But if you are passionate about something it will occupy your every waking thought.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #18

New place basically on your own as no new friends mmmm I’ve been there and tbh it can be soul destroying if you don’t go out and start meeting people.

The best way to do that in a new place is either to find a job of any sort even if it’s only a couple of hours a week or do a bit of voluntary work and find out about clubs/interest groups.

Then you’ll start to look further around without feeling alone. This will mean you might find something completely different or you do something along similar lines you are doing in the UK.

You are in a good situation when you don’t have to hurry into finding a full time job straight away but have time to explore what’s around, try new things and start building up a group of friends.

All the best with your new adverture :smile:

(Susannah Ayre) #19

Thanks Eileen.

That is a worry for me so I do intend to get into something as soon as possible- I figured one of the easiest ways to get to know people will be through a job- and I certainly don’t just want to sit being unemployed for a length of time- but I also think that will be the easiest way to get to know people.

I’m quite the introvert so do find it quite hard when I start a new job even, but I tend to get on well with most people and can adapt pretty well to situations- so I’m hoping that will help me- and I usually make friends through my husband too- a lot of our friends are both our friends- if that makes sense!
But I don’t want to feel like I’m out on a limb there- as much as I do like my own time and company! Haha

I’m hoping the fact that I don’t have to jump straight into a job will give me the opportunity to explore more and get a feel for the place and meet people from the art community- I’ve met a through people through Instagram already who I’ve actually been following for years (and vice versa) and they’ve come across as very friendly- they’ve already given me their numbers for when I get there if I need a hand! Haha so that’s lovely!

Thank you though…I’m sure I’ll get settled and sorted in the end.