Folksy Ltd

Spam email from SEO companies

(Heidi Meier) #1

I keep getting spam emails from people purporting to be from search engine optimisers but i think they are probably just emails with hidden trojan code embedded. Anyhow, they are a pain in the backside and although I have amended my website form to say don’t bother, I still get them. Does anyone have any advice on how to discourage them?!

Heidi

(Christine Shephard) #2

I’ve been getting a lot of these lately too - I just delete them and block the senders, so they will go into my junk folder next time. I’ve also added a note to my contact form on my website, but they obviously can’t read!!

(Hazel Rayfield) #3

Heidi I get these all the time … Mostly I think they are spam bots that float around the web sending website forms and blog comment forms. I have a capture question on one of my websites we thought it might help cut it down at bit
http://www.breakofday.co.uk/contact.php, it probably does stop a few but on Art In Wax http://www.artinwax.co.uk/contact.php I didn’t have that but did code not to accept links, and in my blog all comments have to approved.

I never reply to any as then they have your email address !!!

What gets me is even the ones that may not be bots say "we can get you on the first page of Google " especially when it comes to hubby sites (we have a decorating biz and have 3 websites for this) I think did you not check !!! We are on the first page of Google !!

I totally agree it’s really annoying :slight_smile:

(Heidi Meier) #4

I’ve done the same but I am starting to think they are probably automated… They are a pain aren’t they?!

(Eileens Craft Studio) #5

There is also another thing you can do.

If you don’t want random comments you can set up a registration where the poster has to be verified by yourself before they can post ie no automatic registration.

Then you can use http://www.stopforumspam.com/search
Where you can enter their email address or IP address or usename into the search and if they are a non spammer it will come up and you can then go back to your site and ban them.

I lot of forums and bloggers use this very useful site.

(Heidi Meier) #6

Yes I think they probably are bots! I don’t have captcha on my contact form but have raised a query to the website provide to see if I can exclude links/ email addresses as that might help. I don’t know why they’d think anyone would click on them, as you don’t know who they are, who they represent and what services they do provide! Still, I guess someone must do, otherwise they’d stop. :smile:

(Pauline Hayward) #7

I’ve stopped getting them at the moment fingers crossed but I was getting at least 2 a week which I just deleted everytime.

(Hazel Rayfield) #8

I think you are right, some people do get sucked in and reply at least !! I also get at least two phone calls a week trying to sell us SEO or a website for the decorating. And they have never search for us first just ringIng because we are on a list !!! I’m a web developer for my other job and I do get asked by clients if this is something they need as some people are good “sales persons” !!!

(Heidi Meier) #9

Moonfruit has advised me I can take away the comments facility of the form, ie just take people’s names and return email address, or else there’s an external form I can use and plugin. I think the latter is the way to go so I’ll do some more research tomorrow when I get some time, and I’ll post an update here if anyone else is interested. :smile: