Spring Market 2022 - the stats

As promised, here are the figures from the Online Spring Market that we ran in May.

We’re thrilled with how well it went, so a huge thank you to everyone who took part and a special shout out to all our Folksy Local Team Captains for all their hard work.

It would be great to hear from stallholders who took part to find out what worked for you and what we could do better next time.

11 Likes

Thanks for the stats - interesting to see!

Cheers Lou

Great to see the stats! Definitely had a lot of fun connecting with everyone. :blush:

Would it be possible to see some sales figures? For example, total volume of sales to stall holders? Numbers of sales and revenue?

Really interesting - I would love to have a go but not plucked up enough courage yet. It would be really helpful to know what sort of items do well at markets so shops could decide if it is a good idea to take part - I know there’s no guarantee of sales success but it would help if some general feedback came our way such as how greetings cards and decorations do as opposed to jewelry or knitted goods. I don’t want to discourage anyone but it would really help to have some indication of what sort of items could do well.

2 Likes

Its interesting to see the stats. I didnt have any sales that weekend but i did in the days after which i think may have been from the extra traffic.

Hi Carolyn. I’m afraid we don’t share revenue figures but it might be useful to know that over the weekend of 14-15 May, 30% of users who went on to buy on Folksy had visited the market page, and these visits accounted for 40% of revenue. There may also have been others who saw products or sellers promoted/shared as part of the market on social media and came direct to Folksy without visiting the market.

@Fififoxi the products the top 10 best-selling categories over the weekend of the market were: ornaments, blank greetings cards, home decorations, hanging decorations, craft supplies, vases, earrings, bracelets & bangles, and handmade patterns - although this is across Folksy, not just from the market. The wide range of products suggests that success is less to do with type of product you sell than other factors, probably the same factors that we usually see in successful online shops such as product photography, quality, price, good descriptions and perceived value for money. When we analysed the Christmas Market, we also found that the stallholders who offered a discount or free postage tended to get more clicks through to their shop.

Interestingly at that market, which was held in November 2021, around 6% of traffic to Folksy over the weekend came from the market but it generated around 20% of all sales on Folksy over those two days. So users who visited the market were “better” customers and bought more.

I hope that helps.

2 Likes

Many thanks for the useful information - markets do seem to offer some good opportunities.

1 Like