The snowman knitted scarf

I am looking for someone to make this for my grandson. I have tried another person, I was very disappointed by the result. Need scarf to look as picture. If you can help, please email me, carol@markandcarol.force9.co.uksnowman scarf I can provide pattern, made in
DK

Does the copyright owner allow their pattern to be used by others to make them money for a third party?

I’m afraid their would be a potential legal issue. If someone is going to be paid to make that item they would first need to check with the patterns designer.

2 Likes

Yes, sorry to agree but you cannot pay someone to make this item or it is in breach of copyright.

I agree with the above comments. Best thing to do is to check with the designer. They might not mind as long as they get credit somehow…there are different rules by designers…

I believe in this case it’s not just the designer who would need to give permission, but also whoever owns ‘the showman’.

As I understand the law, it is perfectly legal to pay somebody for their labour in knitting a pattern to this design. This is not the same as producing scarves to this design for the purpose of sale to make a profit. As far as infringement of the Snowman trademark is concerned, as long as the makers of the knitting pattern had permission to use the design, then the knitter would have nothing to fear. Whether or not you can sell scarves produced using this pattern depends on the information contained within the pattern (ie whether or not they have given you express or implied permission. This usually means that they have not included a clause stating that the pattern is for personal use only). But this is not the situation here. The person who wants the scarf has bought the pattern (and to be on the safe side they should buy the yarn too) and the only thing the knitter supplies is their labour, which is not subject to any intellectual property law.

It might interest (and outrage) the knitters here that, unless their designs are considered a work of art (ie not a garment), particular use of stitches or features of a garment are not supposed to be subject to intellectual property rules either. In other words, anyone can reproduce a garment similar to or essentially the same, and nobody has a case in law against them. Certainly an eye opener.

Sam x