Folksy Ltd

Three Year Review of My Shop

(Christine Shephard) #1

I’ve been selling on Folksy for three years now and have made a fair number of sales in that time, but not as many as I’d like. Over the years I’ve read and taken on board all the advice given about photos, descriptions, pricing etc. and have gradually improved (I think) my shop. I’ve added stock, relisted regularly and promoted everywhere I can think of, with varying degrees of success.

Despite making good sales at fairs and other outlets, I can’t seem to do as well online, so wonder whether a few of you would take a look and maybe suggest areas where I can still improve. I think I’ve got so used to looking at my own shop, I can no longer see it objectively, so some fresh eyes - and ideas - would be so welcome.

Thank you, here’s the link www.ciesse.folksy.com

Christine

(Emma) #2

I like your stuff!
Your photos are really nice, and I love all the different fabrics you use. The only thing that strikes me immediately, and I’m no expert so I’m sure others will be able to put it better, is your product titles are quite short rather than specific. So for example in a Google search for glasses cases yours might not figure highly. Buyers do search sometimes with very specific terms like “handmade red floral fabric glasses case”. Colour is quite important to a lot of people so I’d put that in the title as well :slight_smile:

(Thecraftycurioshop) #3

Christine, your shop is very nice and looks professional. Your photo are clean, crisp and show the products off very well. Maybe it is all a little too uniform. I prefer a more eclectic style to keep me interested but that probably wouldn’t suit everybody. I too have been trying different ways of taking photos. Some have worked and some not. It is a good idea to get views from other people to try and keep it all fresh looking.
Good luck, Pauline.

(Brenda Cumming) #4

your shop looks lovely to me…not sure what the answer is…just keep listing and sharing.

(Christine Shephard) #5

Good point Emma. I did shorten the titles some time ago, to make them work better with Folksy search, but that’s changed again now, so I need to review them. Thanks for taking the time to review the shop.

(Christine Shephard) #6

Thank you Pauline, that’s an interesting one - I’ve always tried to keep a uniform look, to avoid it looking cluttered, but maybe I’ve overdone it! Definitely something to think about, thanks again.

(Jo Sara) #7

Hi Christine, I’m at 3 years too, so I know what you mean about having to keep looking at things to make sure it’s not stale looking.

I wouldn’t call your pics uniform. If you had all the items facing the same way, that would be uniform. Using the side angles, and face on mixes it up a bit. What I do find jars with me a bit is that the corners of a lot of the items are cut off when the pics are cut down to square from rectangle. If the whole item was in that main pic it would add a nice, crisp sharpness to the whole front shop page. I always crop my images from rectangle to square so I know what it’s going to look like. But I have noticed that the other side needs the images to be rectangles now, so I might have to do both now. My website can use either so I suppose it would give me a choice if I wanted to change the look on there.

You’d only have to do the main image on each item, once someone’s clicked on that they’re obviously interested in the item so the other shots are just for their reference.

I really must take my own advice and amend my pics for the other side.

Jo

(Christine Shephard) #8

Hi Jo, thanks for taking a look and giving some help with it. I hadn’t even noticed the cut off corners, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I can see that it’s something I do a lot! I think when I crop the photos, I tend to take off as much of the background as I can, but am obviously taking off a bit too much - when it’s an arty shot, it looks ok, but product photos need less cropping. So that will keep me busy for a while - I may have to retake some of them to frame them better.

(Karen Ellam) #9

Hello Christine.

Your shop is looking great, a nice colourful array of handmade delights. Lots of choice, and your photo’s look good too😀
I recently changed all of my titles to lengthier ones due to the new search update, and views are definitely better for it.

Karen :tulip:

(Christine Shephard) #10

Thank you Brenda, I might stop listing new items for a while, as I have so much on there already, but will continue relisting. Thanks for taking a look.

(Jo Sara) #11

It might be just me with that being an issue, I seem to have that sort of eye that things like that just jump out at me. Arty shots are great, but they need to be taken at an angle that’s not expected, so the brain can’t easily make out what the pic is, which adds to the interest of that type of shot. For the main shop pic I think it really needs to be of the whole item so it’s recognisable. And if the whole item suddenly drops off the edge of the pic, it feels awkward to me.

I know what you mean about trying to lose some of the background. I’ve started taking pics on wood to add some interest to the largish bits that I have to leave in to get the whole item in. You could try filling any large empty bits you might have if you’ve got to get a rectangle item into a square by adding a prop like a pen, or something else related to the item. Just make sure you add in your description that the item is only for show and not included.

Jo

(Christine Shephard) #12

Hi Karen, thanks for your comments. I’m going to review all the titles (bit by bit) so that will hopefully improve views for me too.

(Helen Smith) #13

I didn’t think I’d mind cut off corners, but Jo is right, it does look odd, especially for things like the clutch bags. Even with your covers I much prefer the shots with very little cut off. I think if you’re going for a close-up shot it needs to be really close up, like the wedding bag you have also in your featured items. I don’t know what photo editor you use and whether this is easy for you, but when I edit my photos I do all the lightness/brightness adjustments and then I crop them as a rectangle for you-know-where and save a version, then crop them again as a square for here, it takes only a few extra seconds.

Some of your shots look as if they have been taken on too sunny a day and the shadows are really deep. I know it’s difficult, I’ve been waiting for days now to photograph some glass for a custom order!

I think what you are selling is lovely and your photos are lovely and clear and bright, just the composition perhaps could do with attention.

One last thing, if you log out of the forum (click on your avatar top right) and back in again we should all then be able to see a link to your shop along with your username, don’t ask me why but it works!

(Christine Shephard) #14

Thank you Helen, for some really good comments. I plan to review some of my edited photos and retake them if necessary to frame the items better, so will do the same and keep two versions. Yes, shadows are a big problem for me - I take my photos in front of the patio doors to get more natural light, but it’s south facing so the sun can often be too harsh. I’ve tried using reflectors and fill-in lighting, but don’t really like the flatness of photos with no shadows at all, so I should be patient and wait for better light…but I rarely do!

Thanks too for the tip about logging out and back in - I now have the shop link next to my name :smile:

(Helen Smith) #15

I do my photographs in front of the patio doors too, they’re west facing so I try to get them done in the morning before the sun comes right round. Or else, I just pull my little table a bit further away from the doors so it’s not right in the direct sunlight. But it really is much easier to wait for one of those days with bright high cloud. Or snow, snow is great! - as long as the sky is not too overcast. So hard to get the happy medium we’re aiming for - a bit of light and shade, but not too much…