Top 3 favourite books of all time

Do any of you read books more than once? I am not a re reader as a rule but there are a few books that I have enjoyed so much I would happily read them again. I thought I would start this thread so we could share our 3 top reads of all time - I’m always on the lookout for a good book.

Its very hard to pick my top 3 but I think at the moment I would narrow it down to these

The Robe by Lloyd C Douglas
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
The First Circle by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Now I’ve put those down lots more are jumping into my head but I think I’ll stick with those :slight_smile:

I will admit I re read books all the time
Especially these

Legend by David gemmell
The Hobbit by Tolkien
The Lord of the rings trilogy by Tolkien.

I read these once every year.

4 Likes

I never re read. Life’s too short and there are constantly a million books in my wish list that need to be read!! Haha I do read a lot, pretty much every day and will happily spend a cold rainy day curled up on the sofa with a book.

My 3 ‘favourites’ aren’t actually in order but at the moment:

Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman
Abarat- Clive Barker (I want to live there!!)
Time Riders series- Alex Scarrow

I love my books to just be one big fun adventure that ideally take me away from this regular mundane world. Anything ‘true-story’ or just normal in style & I’m bored even before I start! Haha :blush:

Oh gosh, I re-read books so often. I have just re-read the long earth series by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter redy for starting the newest one :slightly_smiling:
But I thnk my top three most read are
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S.Lewis even as an adult it’s one of my favourites
The Magician - Raymond E. Feist (along with all his other books, I felt lost when I finished the last one as I spent a big part of my life reading about those characters :cry:)
The colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett along with all his other diskworld novels :slightly_smiling:
But after reading this thread I’m thinking of re visiting my David Gemmel and Neil Gaiman collections again I haven’t spent any time with Druss the legend or Captain Shakespeare for a while :grin:

2 Likes

This is very difficult - picking just 3.

in no particular order I’d say;

The Stand by Stephen King

Riders by Jilly Cooper

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

1 Like

I have re-read

The Purple Bus by Maeve Binchy
Quentins by Maeve Binchy

I have read three times but a few years ago a book called Rogue Male, a 1939 classic by author Geoffrey Household… I could even read it a fourth time.

Cant say Ive reread a book but I hate to get rid of them if I liked it.

Wuthering Heights-one of the Brontes
American Psycho- Brett Easton Ellis
TraumeNouvelle/Eyes Wide Shut- Arther Schnitzler(I think, or I made the name up).

And special shout out for the last chapter of The Time Machine which will eternally sen shivers down my spine.

1 Like

I read some Meave Binchy before I fell down the sci-fi/fantasy rabbit hole, I think I remember Quentins :slight_smile: I’ll have to see if I still have it in my e-library

Picking 3 is really difficult…
in no particular order
The Duncton Wood Series…William Horwood
Any Terry Pratchett
The Clan of the Cave Bear Series…Jean M Auel

That’s not including all the childrens books I often re-read or A Christmas Carol that I read every year.

1 Like

Like you say, picking three is very difficult, so at the moment they’re;

Bird Song - Sebastian Faulks
Lord of the Rings trilogy - Tolkien
The Woman in Black - Susan Hill

Ooh! The Woman in Black - is that as scary as the film? I didn’t sleep for a few nights after watching it.

I think my three would be:
Return of the Native and Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy ( I get so frustrated by the cruel twists of fate and hope each time that I read them that things will turn out differently - although I know they can’t!). The third would be The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
I also like the Kate Morton novels but think I will have to try some of the ones mentioned above that I haven’t come across.

2 Likes

My top three books are: 1, Dealing with athletes foot by Darrel Itchytoe,
2, There’s a hunchchback in my bedroom! by Stella Droop
3, Making candles from ear wax a Blue Peter production.
I recommend them all.

4 Likes

Oooh that’s a hard one. I have some that are like old friends, that I love to re-read, so I’ll list them.

1, Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
2. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
3. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

The Stand by Stephen King is a close runner up though so I’m with you @plainprimitives! It’s a phenomenal book.

2 Likes

Oh heck I am not sure I can do this but

The Clan of the Cave Bear Series…Jean M Auel
The Lord of the Rings
Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery but certainly not her more recent novels.

2 Likes

Lord of the Rings seems to be getting a lot of votes here. I loved the Hobbit which I read when I was about 12 but never managed to get into Lord of the Rings so it has remained unread - can’t say I’ve particularly been drawn to watch the film either although my daughter loves it. Perhaps its one I should try again sometime now I am xx yrs older!

1 Like

There are loads of books I have re read with re reading I do tend to go back to old faves that are easy to read like Stephen King and Terry Pratchett.

Picking three favourite books is so hard and if you asked me tomorrow the answer may be different but the three that spring to mind today are

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Whit - Iain Banks

2 Likes

I’m starting to see a pattern here! Are most crafters Sci-fy and fantasy geeks? I thought it was just me lol :expressionless:

2 Likes

I really love horror, but only in book form, I cannot watch it, I’m a get behind the sofa on horror films, but loved Hannibal Lecter, when it gets scarry you can shut the book and read it another day.

1 Like

Read…ooo, no! I’m strictly a picture book kind of girl.

1 Like

No sci-fi fantasy here - never really got on with it.
All fun and games til someone looses an eye by Chris Brookmyre (with the sacred art of stealing a close second favourite of his, I can re read them over and over), some thing by Carl Hiaasen (lucky you, strip tease, double whammy I can’t decide), fast cakes by Mary Berry (I can never remember all of the recipe and there are a number of good ones in there so it always takes a while to decide what to bake). I would re read my Pratchett but they are currently on loan to my parents, I really should get them to bring them all back next time they visit.