Top 3 favourite books of all time

I love Carlos Ruiz Zafon as well. I just love his style of writing, I feel like his books need to be read on balmy summer days to get the full effect. They do make me feel quite summery. And I love his random twists near the end! :slightly_smiling: he doesnā€™t realise books as often a I would like! Haha

1 Like

Couldnā€™t possibly limit myself to just three, but I often re-read:-
Elizabeth Petersā€™ Amelia Peabody series
Metamorphosis by Kafka
The Fry and Laurie scripts from the TV series

and anything by Agatha Christie, P D James, Dorothy L Sayers, Ruth Rendell, Dostoevsky
Have to agree with Liz of BigBirdLittleBirdā€™s choices - love them all, too :smile:

Some authors others mentioned that Iā€™d like to try as well, such as Jean M Auel.

Just finishing a Stephen King short story book - the last one in the book is pretty good - a woman discovers that her husband is a notorious serial killer and has to decide what to do about it.

Itā€™s really interesting seeing everyone elseā€™s choices - itā€™s given me a few ideas for my next shopping trip!
My top three would be: The Boleyn Inheritance (Philippa Gregory), Wuthering Heights and The French Lieutenantā€™s Woman ā€¦ lots of others that nearly made the cut though!
Just out of interest, Iā€™m assuming that the majority of you prefer books to e-readers?
Ali

Interesting reading - Iā€™m not really into scifi or fantasy Donna @RedDragonDesigns but it looks like Iā€™m in the minority! I used to read a lot of horrors but find them too gory now!

Ali @CalyxHandmadeJewellery - I love a good old fashioned book but have a kindle which I find is great when on holiday or if you find yourself with nothing to read. You can get lots of books free or really cheap and I find it a good way to investigate new authors. Mind you I canā€™t remember the last time I paid full price for a book - mine are either library or charity shop finds :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

I love actual books- but I genuinely have a floor to ceiling library in my house so my husband bought me a kindle 3 years ago & I love it!!
I finish a book & no more waiting to go to the shop- I instantly have the next one! Theyā€™re cheaper & as most books are just paperback, read once & never again- Iā€™m happy that Iā€™m no longer buying books & essentially wasting paper. We still get the odd nice hardback, but iā€™m very happy with the kindle. It only needs charging once a month as well! :blush:

2 Likes

No, I love my e-reader. I own thousands of books and wouldnā€™t have the room for them otherwise. They are also handy for going away, I keep about 100 books in my reader at all times and that would seriously eat into your luggage allowance in hard copy. But the best thing is the weight of an e-reader is considerably less than a 400 page book, so much easier in my arthritic wrists :slight_smile:

1 Like

Books every time I did get an e reader but didnt like it.

We have three book cases in our house. This is one of them.

4 Likes

E reader gets my vote too. Iā€™ve read over 300 books since I got it. Itā€™s much easier to read in bed with my varifocals than a real book. The only thing I have found though is when I download them several at a time and a new book always opens on the first page rather than the title page, I read a book and then struggle to remember what it was called. Weā€™ve still got loads of books in the house too. As an English graduate itā€™s hard to part with most of them but thereā€™s a limit on space which is why I love my K.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting because I didnā€™t really get on with my Kobo and didnā€™t seem to get a long enough battery life for holidays. Perhaps an upgrade is in order!!

I have an older kindle- before the back light thing- but I prefer it as I donā€™t like having things back lit- especially not at bed time when I read a lot! But I do read a great deal- and after 3 years with my kindle I still only have to charge it once every 3/4 weeks. Iā€™ve not tried any other e-reader though.

1 Like

Maybe as scary as the film, I guess it depends on your imagination. But I found the old TV version of the Woman in Black the scariest, (although I havenā€™t seen it in a while). :slight_smile:

Books for me, but I havenā€™t tried a kindle, so maybe one day.

2 Likes

Love books. Canā€™t stand e readers. My mum got me a fire for Xmas but just canā€™t read the books I have loaded on to it.
Feels horrible. So it only gets used for candy crush now.
I have boxes of boxes hidden all round my flat.
Because my book unit broke.
Must admit just brought three more books

1 Like

My top 3 books (in no particular order!) are:

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
The Man in the Picture - Susan Hill
Naomiā€™s Room - Jonathan Aycliffe

I started using an e-reader a few years ago, and would never go back to actual books. I love the fact that you can set the font size, brightness etc to your personal preference, and since I travel quite a lot, itā€™s fantastic to have 100+ books at my disposal! :smiley:

I just have a cheap Sony reader in a leather case so it opens like a book and has no back light so itā€™s easier on the eyes. I have just finished a hard copy book as I couldnā€™t wait for the e-book to come out, and it made me realise just how bad my eyesight has gotten. Iā€™m so used to making the writing on all my devices bigger so I donā€™t have to wear my reading glasses. It was quite a shock lol :expressionless:

1 Like

Hahah yeah itā€™s good for that though!! I donā€™t have really bad eyes, I do have glasses but only wear them every few days or so because I suffer with headaches due to eye strain. So simply making he font larger really takes the strain off and I can read happily without worrying about getting headaches.

I work with a lot of dyslexic students and the e-reader has been a godsend in terms of changing the size of the font, the type of font and the spacing. Too many books are still written in a Times New a Roman type font and itā€™s incredibly difficult for a lot of people to read. So I think theyā€™re great for a lot of reasons! :blush:

I do still love a lovely good quality coffee table book though!

2 Likes

I have an e reader but really only ever use it for travel, will always be a paper book person, my day job is in a book shop so no shortage of reading ideas, although my flat is bursting at the seems, between all the books and art and craft materials there is hardly room for me

2 Likes

Thanks Tina, I might be brave and give both of them a whirl!

1 Like

I decided to get a kindle as I had no more room in my house to store all my books. I couldnā€™t get on with it at first and didnā€™t think it would ever replace the real thing, but it has and I wouldnā€™t be without it now. I still prefer all my craft books in hardback though, I donā€™t think my kindle will ever replace those.
Top three books. Sleep in The Woods, Dorothy Eden, My Brother Michael, Mary Stewart, The Hike, Don Shaw x

3 Likes

I felt the same when OH got me mine, but couldnā€™t live without it now :grinning:
Dawn @hobbitgirlie1880 I started re reading Legend last night. Itā€™s been a few years and Iā€™d forgotten just how good it is :slight_smile:

1 Like