Top 3 favourite books of all time

I don’t blame you. It is one of my all time favourite’s.
I read it in January. :slight_smile: I have started a Neil gieman book now.

It is brilliant, I have the whole saga :grinning: and will probably read them all lol That is one of the biggest advantages to an e reader :grin: I’ve just got to where the whole Nadir army turns up. Which Neil Gaiman are you reading?

I love that bit. Gets all dramatic.
It’s called nowhere I think.

I couldn’t bring myself to buy stardust. I couldn’t stand the film.

Is it Nevewhere? That is one of my favourites! Set in London Below, it’s very strange down there lol You should try stardust, it’s nothing like the film and if you get a chance the Grave yard book is good too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have the grave yard book. It’s fantastic.
Yep your right it is neverwhere. I guessed the title can you tell I knew it was one or the other.
I might give stardust a go. But might borrow it off a friend. The film was terrible.

1 Like

To be honest I liked the film :expressionless: But I did watch it before reading the book, if I do it the other way around I just sit there nit picking all the things they got wrong lol I drive my OH mad as he doesn’t love books like I do. Which is why he got me my e-reader, I think he was worried he’d be buried under an avalanche of paperbacks one day lol :grin: But I am slowly sneaking them back into our life lol

1 Like

I do the same. My oh tells me off when we watch lord of the rings or the hobbit films.

I haven’t been brave enough to watch them yet lol :expressionless: I keep meaning to have a huge Marathon and watch them all at once but I just don’t seem to have the time any more :cry: even my poor Xbox is sitting neglected under an inch of dust!

Oh no. I did notice you had vanished from the daily listing thread. Must be because of how busy you are.
Poor xbox. Must admit I haven’t been on mine lately either.
I’m waiting to rebuy a game. We leant it to a friend but they lost it. I’m not happy it was one of my final fantasy games too.

There is nothing worse than loosing games (or books) to friends :frowning:
I am so busy on the auction site at the mo, I spend all my time embroidering orders so couldn’t keep up with listing something new every day. I’m saving for a second machine at the mo, so I’ll be able to get more done and be able to join in again soon :slight_smile:

Don’t I’m so angry with this friend. Because it’s not the first time they have done it. I wouldn’t have leant it to them but I was out and they asked my oh so he said yes not realising.

That will be brilliant to see you back fingers crossed you save enough quickly. pleased to see you do well on the that auction site. I do terribly on there.

I have just found the last book in my Brent weeks trilogy on amazon so I brought it. I have been looking for it forever.

Have you tried this site for books Dawn
http://www.bookdepository.com/
They have everything, brand new, quite offen at 2nd hand prices. They take about a week to deliver but they get there in the end.
The machine I want is £1500! But OH has offered to let my put half on his credit card, if I save the other half. But it’s still going to take months :cry: maybe the sales fairy will take pity on me and send more sales my way lol

2 Likes

Ah! yes, never thought of that, I could do with more room! :slight_smile:

George Orwell’s '1984’
Aldous Huxley’s 'Brave New World’
Margaret Atwood’s ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

As you can see, I’m a lover of classic dystopian fiction. Huxley’s ‘Island’ was also considered and Susanna Clarke’s wonderful short stories of faerie ‘The Ladies of Grace Adieu’. Saying that, I also read history books and biographies and am currently re-reading Agatha Christie’s. I have a Kindle (as do my sons) as we can’t fit any more books in the house.

1 Like

Sorry I vanished had a call from my sister. She had a car crash but she is fine just very saw.
Wow I hope you find the money for the new machine soon.
I’ll be nosing on that site thank you.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, car crashes are bl**dy scary weather you’re injured or not. I hope she’s ok xx

Yeah she is fine. Saw back and neck and abit shaken up.
She just text me to say she has taken today off work.

1 Like

I don’t think I could choose just 3 favourite books - there are so many I love!

If I was really, really pushed I would go for:

The Pillars of the House (Vols 1 & 2) - Charlotte Mary Yonge (if I could have a compilation of all her books that would be even better!)

Vanity Faire - William Makepeace Thackeray

Dancing Shoes - Noel Streatfeild (again, a compilation of all her books would be the best!)

I love my real books, but they take up space that I can’t really spare at the moment, so they are packed away in a cupboard. I also love my Kindle - I couldn’t do without that now!

The Kindle introduced me to lots of old books I had no idea existed before. I started by searching fro Yonge’s ‘The Daisy Chain’ as I’d seen it referenced in a couple of other books, and from there I found all of her other books, and that led to me searching for titles by other favourite childhood authors, like L M Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Frances Mary Hodgson - and often the lesser known books are even better than the ones that are the popular favourites. And the best thing is, because I like old fashioned book they are all out of copyright, and I can download them all for free (a few have been about 30 pence, but I can’t grumble at that!)

I loved Neverwhere too- the idea of the Floating Market- is that what it was called? Always thought that would be a good name for a Folksy shop.

1 Like

It would be a great name for a shop :slight_smile: It’s been a while since I read it last, but it’s going on my ‘to read soon’ list. Although after reading this thread it’s more a book in it’s own right than a list lol