Unsolicited message after attending craft fair

I’ve recently received a text from someone I don’t know saying that she hoped I had a nice Christmas and then informing me that she had a stall next to mine at a craft fair, was having a sale and wondered if I was interested in “the amazing 9 day cleanse”. She must have had one of those cosmetic franchise stalls that seem to crop up everywhere and I can only assume that she took one of the flyers from my stall and then used my mobile number in her marketing!! I was extremely annoyed that someone would think that’s acceptable business practice! Has anyone else ever had anything like that happen?

No I haven’t but it sounds a bit desperate! Block her contact if you can. I think it’s a bit rude.

1 Like

I’ve had fellow stall holders drop me emails following up on conversations we had at markets - normally where I had been asking them about something and they didn’t have all the details to hand. I’ve also had people email me copies of photos they have taken of my stall at the event (quite useful as that is the bit I forget to do) but never an unsolicited marketing plug. I’d inform them that you are not interested in their product and do not want to recieve any further marketing messages, I think that legally she has to them remove you from her contacts list. If she doesn’t you should be able to block her number.

2 Likes

I was quite shocked at the cheek of it. I just didn’t bother to reply. I’ve heard nothing more but will block the number if she contacts me again.

I don’t think it’s appropriate to use someone’s details so you can advertise your offers and products. It’s like being added to a mailing list without your permission. Receiving texts is even worse, in my opinion, as it’s more direct. Did you tell the seller that she can contact you if she has any clearance in her shop?

If large companies do things like that, we can report them. So, small businesses should not be doing that either.

2 Likes

I certainly didn’t give her permission to do this - I can’t even remember her!! I also have an aquaintance on Facebook who direct-messaged me out of the blue pushing products from one of those cosmetic franchises. I’m starting to wonder whether they are trained that anything goes when it comes to marketing. If so I think they should reconsider as it is more likely to annoy people than generate sales!

Over the years I have made some great friends doing craft fairs and meeting other stallholders. I have usually got in touch (or they have got in touch with me) via Facebook after the event - just to say hello, never to sell anything. On occasion a conversation develops and friendship blossoms which is nice as its always nice to have friends to talk crafting with. I wouldn’t dream of texting someone (unless they had asked me too), even email is a bit pushy and I would never try and sell anything to other stallholders unless they had specifically asked for something.

I’m not sure where the franchisees for these cosmetics/well being products are trained but I have to admit I do find them quite intimidating in their sales pitch anyway and try to steer clear!

1 Like

At a local regular summer time event we went to lots with our stall last year we were hounded by them at the event but never after. We were sharing our space with my sis in law who is an aromatherapist free lance no affiliations with these pushy people BUT it did mean they all swarmed her like crazy trying to get her to endorce her products which were ALWAYS 3 times more than she would charge for them. This topic has made me laugh remember some of them…but in seriousness a direct text to you really is crossing the line especially over a festive period??

1 Like

We attended a lovely market in our home town in November and had a couple of ladies on a stall next to us who were at their first event. They were selling “Aloe Products” and were really, really pushy. So much so that people were scooting past them in a wide arc and then completely bypassing my stall as a result. I wanted to tell them to tone it down as I was losing customers because of them, but of course I didn’t…

One of the ladies took a business card and then tried to add me as a friend on facebook, she sent messages asking where else I was going to have a stall and could she come along with me? Erm, no lady…

1 Like

Some of these people are quite unbelievable aren’t they!

I think they must be “trained” to be pushy. lol

1 Like